1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey in the hot seat??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UrbanEnterprise, Oct 4, 2019.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Basically this. This isn't a left or right issue, I don't know why people try to bring American politics into this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Should've used a burner account like Durant.

3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

darryl morey and james harden are two silent owners of the rockets. Morey can do no wrong after cutting a player like carmelo.

Safe to say, morey runs the show and the show must go on!

4. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

What! No body makes money from Turkey. Turkey is not a power nation. This is not an apples to apples comp. STOP THIS!!!!

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

And the NBA just started another narrative... let’s see where the media takes this. Tillman already in the limelight. We officially have a Mark Cuban in Houston.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

However worthy a cause or well intentioned, Twitter support is one of the most useless. I expect it from a millennial but not a Gen X. Take a stock photo and put some text under it. Real support is marching with the protesters or donating money, which I doubt he'll actually do.

From the awareness angle, The west is already aware. Twitter is blocked in China, if the users have VPN to bypass, then those users would know seen the western coverage on it anyhow.

If his goal is to say 'I stand by HK protesters, and if the Chinese govt don't back off, business like the Rockets may reduce partnership with China', in which case, as Tilman said: he doesn't have the right to do.

People turn to sports to escape from the troubles in life.

Bill Burr: -- I don't need the NFL to tell me domestic violence is bad, I know know it's bad. Why are you showing me the commercials, it's you (the league, the players) should be watching this, not me.

#186 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jayland

jayland Member

Here's what the People's Daily think of Morey. http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/1006/c90000-9620340.html

People's Daily is the official newspaper/mouthpiece of the communist party in China. So what is printed there is usually the stance of top government officials in China. Basically says that if foreigners want to make money from China you cannot criticize China.

allforone, vlaurelio and malakas like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Oh they still speak Cantonese? WOW that means the government is protecting their language. :rolleyes:

Care to explain how the Guangdong National Language Regulations that bans Cantonese from television, radio , websites, official documents, and street signs protect the language of the people? LMAO

BTW any linguist will tell you that Cantonese is not just a dialect. A dialect that is mutually intelligible is no longer a dialect but a language on its own.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah.

malakas likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

probably mauri's way of getting back at tilllmen for forcing his hand to trade for wesbruke.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Crazy if Dmorey ends up in the hotseat not with his performance but due to a tweet.

The reason China is losing their **** over a small tweet is cuz they know they are in the wrong lmao

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Fertitta told ESPN's Tim MacMahon that he felt compelled to publicly clarify that the Rockets do not take political positions due to the reaction to Morey's tweet, but Fertitta stressed that he has no issues with Morey.

"I have the best general manager in the league," Fertitta said. "Everything is fine with Daryl and me. We got a huge backlash, and I wanted to make clear that the organization has no political position. We're here to play basketball and not to offend anybody."

https://espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27780777/china-suspends-work-rockets-gm-tweet

D-rock, travfrancis and Andre0087 like this.
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That's good news, hopefully we can just leave it at that.

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Anybody hear why Durl posted that post? It's out of context for him, sure to be controversial, of little use to Hong Konga's, for a really smart and worldly guy so unnecessary. I assume he was drunk and got over emotional, too may Mai Tai's at the Luau.

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

No. The reason they're losing their $hit over that tweet has nothing to do with the veracity of the comment, and everything to do with being embarrassed. Even slightly. Again, they operate on the moral level of a big dog thug: nobody matters except how they can benefit him, and any disrespect is met with immediate violence.

In the words of Bruce Campbell, "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

D-rock likes this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I was at the ALDS game last night so couldn't respond to all the quotes. Here are my thoughts and responses.

1. Morey and his opinion

So Morey is vastly different than an NBA player. I didn't think this needed to be said, but given all the comments about "shut up and dribble", I guess it did. Unlike an NBA player like say, Lebron James, Morey is the a representative of an entire franchise. In fact, for all intents and purposes, he is essentially the 2nd in command for financial and personnel decisions (salary cap and roster management) on the Rockets. Like it or not, accept it or not, the reality is that employees in the business position that Morey is in no longer have the luxury of freely expressing their opinions, especially when it is political in nature. A big part of this is the inability of the majority to separate an individual from an organization or community. When Morey speaks on Twitter or Instagram or Reddit, platforms that he has frequently used to discuss organizational news and agendas, what he says does in fact become perceived as a representation of the views of the Rockets. When that opinion, however moral or right, is not aligned with the purpose of the Rockets organization (which is and only is basketball), Tilman absolutely should distance the organization from those comments as its owner. Now, could or should he have been more diplomatic about it? Sure, but it still needed to be done. Again, the Rockets are not a national or international political group. The Rockets are a basketball organization. It truly is that simple. Aid relief to natural disasters or other non-political charitable works? Sure. Just never poiltics.

2. USA and international political involvement

The first thing I want to address is a response on delusions of being the police of Earth and military intervention. Policing the world does not equal military intervention. To say that is completely asinine. The US polices the world through multiple methods of influence, manipulation, or just flat out control. Military intervention is simply ONE option. The US also has the abilities to use sanctions, conditional financial aid, tariffs, diplomacy, military incentive packages, etc to help it accomplish its internatinoal agendas. It can and has also trained rebel groups on military operation tactics to fight their own governments, decisions that have sometimes backfired as the rebels became worse than those they were supposed to be fighting against. These are all facts and few of them involve military internvention.

Next is US and political involvement overseas. Simply put, I am not a fan of how many pies both the US government and its citizens like to stick their finger in. While I am not a supporter of civic (and definitely not ethnic) nationalism as we all share the same planet, I am a huge believer of taking care of your own house first before worrying about others. Does it suck that there are hundreds of thousands of Muslims in Chinese camps among other atrocities committed by the Chinese government? Of course, but you know what else sucks?
    • The opioid epidemic that has only gotten worse
    • Gang violence and the presence of international crimminal organizations
    • Lobbying practices between businesses and politicians
    • Attempts to make firearms illegal
    • Declining levels of public education
    These are just some of the serious in-house issues we are facing that could exponentially benefit from the money and attention being spent overseas. As insensitive as it may sound to affected parties, but that's their **** to deal with. We are the United States of AMERICA not Planet Earth and we certainly have enough problems of our own that both the government and citizens need to address first.

Sajan and jcf like this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

There are so many dominoes that are going to happen over this catastophe.

Daryl Morey being an arrogant boaster on Twitter only, can cost the Rockets a Championship this season.
    His arrogance is the most annoying about him, cant you learn from Jeff Luhnow and not use Twitter. Only use it for Transactions only instead of your dumb thoughts.

Adam Silver is so angry at the Rockets that they guaranteed to lose in the playoffs and get rigged.

No way in Hell Rockets make it to the Finals without Rockets Games Not Televised in China

Lakers or Clippers are going to the Finals no doubt now and these next 4 years is useless to watch now.

Cant afford Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Clint Capela, P.J Tucker and all traded off for nothing.

James Harden wants to be traded after everyone is gone.

Lastly Daryl Morey being fired.

When CBA comes back on TV in China, the Rockets are going to be a lottery team in 3 years.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I can't believe Morey would wrote something like that. EVERYBODY knows there is a difference between the Chinese government and the US government, one is a communist and the other is democracy. This is why EVEN the NBA is stressing that through sports, not politics that we can bridge this gap and relationship. And now you want to burn this bridge through sports as well, the ONLY channel? Really Morey? You're a moron! Living in America, I know everybody is pro-HK in the Western world because they support democracy. But HK ain't a part of the Western world once it got handed back to China. And so they should stay out of it and let China decide to sort things out, they're powerful enough to handle themselves. If their ruling is so bad, how did they end up being #2 economy in the world? Obviously, IT IS WORKING! By supporting the demonstration, it is seen as an interference to the sovereignty of China. China don't want democracy anymore than US don't want communist. Forcing one into another is like trying to erase one's culture for another, that ain't ever going to work.

Going forward, I don't know how they will handle Morey's situation. They either need to get rid of him and re-establish the fan base and relationship or risk of losing a lot of money (you're talking about fans, companies and players relationship as well). Not just that, but the NBA ITSELF use the Rockets mostly as a symbol of that bridge. This is a sad news for both sides.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What are you saying Morey wrote? My understanding of the now-deleted tweet was that it was one of an existing picture.

20. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

As if these issues aren't more important than your preferred optics. lol.