1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Have Grown To HATE Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Oct 5, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I have lost all respect for this man.

And it's not because of his penny pinching style, or Luxury Tax Savings, or wasting an entire season of Harden's prime, or overriding his GM in the Westbrook trade, etc...

No, the past 24 hours have shown Tilman has always been a spineless and gutless man.

Sure, it was amusing to mock Tilman's stinginess on this board with memes, but what Tilman did last night by publicly throwing Daryl Morey under the bus is absolutely despicable. I don't care how the public relations spin turns out, Tilman is a man of no moral convictions and no loyalty.

As for Morey, I applaud his courage and audacity to express his views publicly. He is hands down the best GM in the league; both in intellectual prowess and the ability to constantly make deals to improve his team. Morey deserved better than what Tilman did to him in public.

Regardless of what happens next and how Tilman may try to patch up relations with Morey, I think Daryl should start planning for a long-term exit strategy. Harden is Morey's discovery and perhaps his masterpiece. He should try to stick around to see the end of Harden's career, but should also keep an eye out if there is a better opportunity available elsewhere with a respectable owner who will back him when needed.

Finally, I know I will hear from many armchair business professors on this board about Money and Business 101. However, sports is not purely a money-making enterprise. People root for teams and players for more than just entertainment. They are our cultural heroes. The hope of an entire city is often imbued in the struggles of its professional sports teams. To that degree, Tilman is a failed owner and a future Dan Snyder in the making -- a money-man who will sell out for a few dollars more.

The Rockets deserve better.

clos4life, RHU525, gatsby and 17 others like this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I've grown to hate grown to hate threads.

3. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

He’s gonna waste Harden’s career like Sarver wasted Steve Nash’s.

Von Rafer and BleedsRocketRed like this.
  4. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Les should've sold the team to Mutombo :(

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Nah, Obama and Beyonce would have been better.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I for one will say I hope that I wouldn’t sell out my principles for more money.....but then again I’m not a billionaire. Ive never had to choose to lose that much money so it’s easy for me to sit here and judge what I’d do or others should with their ridiculous cash.....perhaps it’s also not possible to amass that much cash without selling out at some point. Who knows...

7. jayland

jayland Member

slothy420, ChillyPete32 and Nook like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you are against democracy I guess you are for communism. Maybe it's time Americans boycott Tilman. Make him pick a side.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fern t*** broke AF.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I disagree with OP. If Morey had said something you inherently disagree with and Tilman said the exact same thing about how Morey's views don't reflect the Rockets, I'm sure you'd have no problem with distancing from Morey's statements.

However, this isn't Tilman saying that Morey is wrong and the opposite viewpoint is right - this is just him doing damage control and stating that an employee's personal views do not necessarily reflect the views of everyone associated with the Houston Rockets organization, which is a completely fair stance.

jcf, RayRay10 and Wommy like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Tilman is a scumbag far beyond his grifting with China though. Just ask anyone who works at a Landry's restaurant.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is a cheap ass douche, who talks too much, and can't afford to be an NBA owner.

#12 larsv8, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  13. fchowd0311

The only positive thing Tilman has done so far as the owner is change our uniforms from those shitty old uniforms from the Yao/Mcgrady era to the new ones.

Jontro likes this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Basketball is a sport, not a platform for politics. US is also not the police of Earth no matter how some delude themselves into thinking they are.

15. fattz

fattz Member

My favorite team in world is owned by a man that I have no personal dealings with and I am thankful he not trying to move the organization to a more profitable place. My biggest complaint is how hard it is to view the games, but we all manage as fans.

cml750 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. fchowd0311

Police of the earth? Who the **** is demanding military intervention?

D-rock and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  18. fchowd0311

What city in the US would be a more profitable place that currently doesn't have a NBA team?

Seattle is the closest but even they don't touch Houston's market.

Von Rafer and 34to11 like this.
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman loves to mislead fans.

He should not talk something like this,
    spend 150 million or 200 million luxury tax in a single season.
    MDA is going to stay here for a long time.

20. fattz

fattz Member

Los Vegas