1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets fans in China furious at Morey for supporting Hong Kong protests

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First, wrong forum, but oh well... that ship has sailed.

k thx bye

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dang, Tinman that is actually close to humor.

3. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Might as well call me a bot too? how convenient.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I can get where you’re coming from on this. As a pastor at my local church and one that’s fairly embedded in the church leadership network at other churches in Dallas, it pains me greatly when the church I love is divided by politics. When church leaders speak out for or against Trump. Not because I have a political view, but because introducing politics into that arena will inevitably divide the church community I’m a part of. Which it has to some degree. For me, the Church and Faith takes precedence over country and politics.

But likewise politics and the effect it has on humanity for me takes precedence over sports and fandom. Morey’s Opinion might hurt because it begins to cause a rift in your ability to be a fan....but it’s likely because to some....maybe Morey, the politics and the impact on human rights might be that important to put it ahead of his job....even for a moment.

As far as HK goes, maybe Americans are as uneducated and brainwashed as Mainlanders are in China....maybe none of know the real situation going on there in HK. But from a human standpoint shouldn’t it stand to reason that the best people to know what’s truth is and what’s best, are the actual people living there in HK who have life and well being at stake? Clearly the people’s voice is being spoken.....

clutchdabear, Easy and ashleyem like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if Ryan Anderson said he hates China
    Does that mean the entire team does?

you guys don’t have the concept of individual opinions which is amazing to me

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This is not true. Before the handover, people in Hong Kong have the right to assemble and protest any time they want without the Police's consent. Within minutes after the handover in 1997, China amended the law and now the Police have all the authority to ban protests.

And I don't even want to waste time to argue with you about the extradition law. Do you really think you can convince people to trust the legal system in China?

Yung-T, jboslett, Gray_Jay and 3 others like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

What they don’t understand is that we know our country has issues and it’s been like that since the beginning
    That doesn’t offend us

Yung-T and MorningZippo like this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Thank you very much

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Thank you for your post.
    It really said what I want to say.

Icepiano likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If we’re losing fans that support a totalitarian government that harvest organs from prisoners, censor free speech, steal American property, crack down on anything it doesn’t like.

bye. You won’t be missed.

Yung-T, jboslett and clos4life like this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they don’t have freedom of speech so are you really surprised?

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m not going to classify fans as Chinese fans and regular rockets fans
    I like to classify as pure or non pure

some of these don’t understand how very aware of things pure fans are
    I have people in Hong Kong now giving me the 411

13. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

I don't want to waste time arguing with you either. That's why I ask you to read.

Hong Kong people CAN and DO protest still. Getting a permit to protest is a common-sense law that provides safety and order to society. And even if China did decide to ban everyone in HK from protesting (will never happen,) it is a domestic issue and the US should keep its hands off it.

The extradition law does not go through the Chinese Mainland legal system, it goes through the Hong Kong legal system. If China wanted to get someone from HK they can with or without the extradition law. All you're doing is preventing real criminals, like the Taiwanese murderer, from being brought to justice.

I guess I did just waste time arguing with you...sigh

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

You clearly have no understanding of history. Go read here from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_development_in_Hong_Kong#1990s_until_the_Handover

Hong Kong never had Democracy and 'freedoms' under British rule. A British appointed governor had unilateral power over Hong Kong during 99 years of its rule. Only during the waning last 2 years of British colonial rule did British introduce elections for reasons you can probably guess. There was never freedom to demonstrate.

Here are an example of British crackdown of Hong Kong protesters. Read about the brutal crackdowns and count the numbers who were killed by the British controlled police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1956_riots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1966_riots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1967_leftist_riots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1981_riots

Bearded13, PeterKingX and Icepiano like this.
  15. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Do you think Yao is uneducated and brainwashed? your first sentence seems to suggest that Mainlanders are. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"People's voice" is not being spoken. The 1.7 million number is a lie, (what Trump would call "fake news",) what you're hearing is NYT & WSJ's modified version of people's voice. HK is undoubtedly divided, but saying that the protester's voice is "HK people's voice" is similar to saying that everyone in US hates Trump...clearly not?

Noob Cake and PeterKingX like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Being a pure rockets fans is because you love the rockets and the city of Houston.

The rockets will have different owners, players and front office people through time.

I didn’t like our former owner Les but that has not changed me from being a pure fan.

Morey can insult god for all I care . It’s his choice and opinion. It’s not Ryan Anderson’s or any D-league players or Hardens

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Protest is one thing. But when you put on a mask and start attacking police officers, you better be prepared for the consequences. Over here you’ll be get shot to death and peeps will say it’s justified. I’m actually surprised Hong Kong police has been so patient with those violent attackers.

Noob Cake and Icepiano like this.
  18. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

If Ryan Anderson said he hates China and the Rockets keeps him on the team, then yes that means the Rockets organization is, at the very least, tolerant of the fact. The Rockets are within their absolute right to do that, but to say that's not offensive to Chinese people would be naive.

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Getting permit from the government to protest against the government is nonsense. A totalitarian government like China of course would abuse this system to ban HKers' basic rights and freedom to protest. And since you know so much about HK, you might have already known that protests have been banned in HK in recent months and people are arrested for joining peaceful protest parades. The old mechanism was working so well in colonial era and the only reason why China amended the law is to tighten control over HK.

The extradition law does go through the Hong Kong courts, you are correct. But the authority of the courts are limited. The courts have no authority to examine whether or not the evidence provided from the Chinese government. The Chinese government could very well use trumped-up charges to arrest political dissidents in Hong Kong, the same tactic they use to arrest dissidents in the Mainland. And if they want to extradite the murderer to Taiwan, they could invoke the sunset provision to allow the extradition after the legislature in HK discussed it and approved it. The issue has been discussed so many times in HK and there is no sensible reason why we should amend the extradition law.

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I love Yao, but that doesn’t mean he’s an authority on knowing what the people of HK think and believe. Anymore than he would be able to represent the thinking of the people of Houston. Does that make him brainwashed? No, just not the best judge as is the same for you and me.

So if the voice of the protestors in HK is fabricated and fake. There’s no harm in holding a free and open vote to know what the people of HK want then right? I mean if it’s only a minority than that could be easily determined by a fair voting process. That is after all the “system” in place there right?

What’s the harm in allowing for the system to do what it’s designed to do? Let the people debate and speak. Argue the points and hold a vote? Or does that seem too risky or offensive to mainland?

It comes down to values. Is unity of country more important than the voice of the people, or vice verse? Let me be clear, I think there are serious pitfalls to democracy. The education and wisdom of the people is absolutely critical for democracy to work. And when that isn’t there, democracy can fail quickly. But what your suggesting is that unity of country inherently should take precedence over the individual voice and rights of each person.

Yung-T and D-rock like this.