1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris County Sikh Officer Killed in Line of Duty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 29, 2019.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Want to honor LEO Sandeep Dhaliwal who gave his life to serve the community of Harris County. Harris County's first Sikh officer who was allowed to serve both his faith and his community by wearing a turban and keeping a beard. A reminder that Houston is the most diverse city in the country and while ad that LEO Dhaliwal made the ultimate sacrifice glad to see that he was able to do so and in a way that let him be true to himself.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Anybody know what area this happened at?

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Guy shot him in the back of the head, despicable.

FrontRunner and CCity Zero like this.
  4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

10 year vet of the department who was just conducting a routine traffic stop, and happened to stop a complete scumbag of a person. This is so awful.

6. Buck Turgidson

If he had been a few minutes/seconds earlier or later....but then somebody else would have been the one to run into the POS. Just awful.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What pisses me off is that it's going to take a few years to get him sentenced. Death penalty right away for scumbags like this, stop trying to pretend he's innocent to get money

TMac'n, sammy, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Did they determine a motive? Was it just the warrant? Sucks.

9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

He had an active warrant so probably didn't want to go back to jail.

What an idiot and a POS scumbag

10. Buck Turgidson

I totally understand the sentiment but thankfully that's not how it works.

FrontRunner and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. elrond

elrond Member

Saw an article on CNN about this as well. What a bummer. Sounded like a pretty awesome dude willing to do what he could to make the world a better place.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was told the perpetrator when to Alief Elsik with me back in the day. I remember the name but don't remember him. He was just a bad dude.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Yea, In America we have something called the Constitution which clearly outlines due process which includes representation. What is worse?
    A. Putting in innocent person in jail as a result of an rushed trial
    B. Setting a guilty person free as a result of a procedural technicality

Both situations suck. Pick one. Which one is worse? The answer to that question goes to the heart of our American value system. Our rule of law isn't based on emotion (despite what our current leader thinks).

Blatz and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So sad. It's unbelievable that this idiot who murdered him from behind thought he would avoid going to jail on a warrant by doing this. He bought himself a couple hours and, hopefully, the death penalty. Some people just don't deserve to exist.

AXG likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Definitely and idiot and a scumbag. If Dhaliwal didn't expect him to sneak up behind him, he probably also would have been surprised if the perp just drove away. Instead, dude goes for murder and brings the wrath of the state down upon himself. We probably won't get to know, but I wonder if the perp was triggered by the turban. Shooting a police officer in the death penalty capital of the country just to avoid parole violation issues seems like a very extreme and unwise decision.

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Im all for due process and this guy should get it... that said, when found guilty, the
    constitution needs to be changed to allow for cruel and unusual punishment in cases like this and things like school shooters where there is no doubt about what happened ... make it public and send a message

cheke64, Sajan and donkeypunch like this.
  17. SemisolidSnake

It took me until today to put all the pieces together, but it turns out this happened the day in between days I was right over in that area. I was over there Thursday night and Saturday afternoon for two of my D&D games. This happened on Friday afternoon. I'd eaten at the Whataburger in the parking lot of the nearby shopping center that Thursday night. When we came back on Saturday, we learned a police officer had been shot about a block away the previous day.

I saw the electronic signs on the tollway honoring the end of his watch yesterday, and I remembered this thread. I didn't realize yesterday was his funeral. I passed by a sign posted in the ground on my way to work today honoring him. One of those wire-frame advertising signs; I bet they're all over this area.

Thank you for your service, Officer Dhaliwal. Your watch has ended, but it will not be forgotten.

Deckard and AXG like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you want sharia law got to Iran. Justice is not about sending messages. See the War of Drugs and how costly and useless that's become.

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You are right .. we should probably house, feed, clothe, and provide medical care for this POS for the next 20 years

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's what separates us from becoming animals.