1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Atlantic] The Case for Impeachment...Now.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

What were those sneaky Dems hiding in the Watergate offices? Nixon had to break in to find the truth.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes history won’t look kindly on the Senate. There have been only two impeachments in US history and neither resulted in removal of the president. Andrew Johnson was greatly politically wounded by it and history records him as one of the worst presidents. Clinton kept his popularity but his scandal was a drag on his chosen successor and Gore himself didnt want to campaign with Clinton because of that.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He was trying to find their corruption. What a patriot. The nation owe Nixon an apology.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is already a wounded animal politically. His support isn't going to drop lower unless the economy tanks as well. Impeachment will not hurt him. How do we know? Because much worse has come out and has not hurt him one bit. He is right, he can get away with murder and he will still get 40%.

It's a bit naive to think that a demagogue will somehow be outed by an impeachment vote when he has survived scandal after scandal unscated compared to where he was before.

His only chance for victory is to play the victim and make the Democrats more off kilter than he is. Pelosi is playing her hand far wiser than Hillary ever did.

snowconeman22 and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I will say this - if Trump doesn't share the whistle blower report and it is true he discussed Biden with Ukraine, I can't see how the Dems don't impeach him.

biff17 likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Over the weekend, Trump admitted that he talked to Ukraine about investigating his political rival. Trump wants a foreign country to mettle in our election. This is definitionally impeachable.

Trump's strategy here may be to dare the House Democrats to impeach him. Trump knows that the GOP Senate won't even have a trial. With an impeachment and no conviction, Trump will claim exoneration and leverage that a la Bill Clinton in the 2020 election. This may be Trump's Big Brain at work.

The flip side of a failed impeachment is that the GOP Senate is banking on a Trump 2020 win. A Trump loss might put safe GOP Senate seats into play.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

His chance of winning increases with:

- Normalization and false equivalence.

- A frustrated left toward DEM that weaken turnout.

Both of which are / will be at least partly (to a much greater extend imo) caused by inaction to hold him responsible.

A bit of a fun fact - did you know that less than 50% of American thought that Nixon should be removed from office, even after the live hearing on the watergate scandal and after indictments of WH aids and Saturday massacre? It didn’t clearly cross over the 50% mark until congress recommended impeachment hearing. If only the House thought harder about political consequences and not do their duty back in 1974.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The more Trump is portrayed as a victim, the more his base will rally to him. Turnout is a huge factor. With voter id laws and such, he has a good shot at winning re-election.

snowconeman22 and No Worries like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Those were days before hyper partisanship. Impeachment may spin the Dems as not being the wise side. You have to understand that elections swing on independents, not the Dems. They are the ones who decide who gets elected, and an impeachment vote won't sway them in the hyperpartisan landscape.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One point being ignored... trump continues to do corrupt acts. In fact each corrupt act is increasingly more corrupt. How long can this be allowed? Counting on republican voters to not vote for him no matter how corrupt he becomes seems naively optimistic, given few if any have spoken out against him so far.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm guessing she's running the investigations as a slow boil up to elections without actual impeachment.

But i'm not sure how she would have the political power to impeach if trump does get reelected.

Risky slow play.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In the case of treason, bribery or other high crimes and misdemeanors..

No Worries likes this.
  13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Conservative media outlets all started out by trying to generate outrage about what a criminal Hunter Biden is, and have moved on to the story that this is all a "hoax like the Russia investigation".

If you self-censor your news coverage to ideologically pure conservative media outlets, you don't see anything wrong, because your media hasn't even touched the idea that Donnie might have done anything worthy of scrutiny. It's all been pointing fingers anywhere else to avoid looking directly at the issue. Even when they are attacking Dems for broaching the subject, they don't even spell out what Donnie is accused of doing wrong in order to deny it.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is there any true independent left? How many independent are there in this era of hyper partisanship? Election swing on independent is an assumption, one that I don't fully agree with. It ties back in to the 2nd point. In this era of hyper partisanship, election result is less likely through independent, but more through turning out your side - the base plus leaner. I think the DEM, especially the younger voters, is more susceptible to not show up vs the REP.

Independent (true) ties in with the 1st point. Normalization and false equivalence likely yield more of a don’t care altitude among true independent. You don’t want to normalize and play into the false equivalence game for bad behaviors and illegal behaviors. You want to point out that those aren’t norm and acceptable to independent. If they are normal and acceptable, why should independent care? If they don't care either way, why are we risking turnout among DEM?

Now, I didn’t go back and look at the details but I bet a significant part of the 50% cross over to support removal of Nixon is from independent. Remember that prior to congress recommending impeachment hearing, a lot of things were already known - watergate scandal was already in full force, there were live hearings of it with high viewership among the public, indictments has already happen, and sat massacre also has taken place. Those events still did not “convince” half or more of American to support removal of Nixon. What seems to do the job is congress acting on it and start doing their duty on removing a POTUS that abuse his power.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

So are you say if we don't impeach Trump people that already want him home will not vote?

I don't understand that logic.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

So democrats are not pointing out those behaviors?

Only impeachment is pointing out those behaviors?

you have yet to give a reason why turnout will be down because of non impeachment when Trump can still be voted out of office.

The Congress cannot remove a President when half of it sees nothing wrong with him.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

She doesn't have the power to impeach Trump now.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s not logical, it’s emotional. Human are emotional being at the core with logic layered on top of the emotion but often even logic is used in illogical ways to rationalize illogical behaviors.

Revenge is sweet - it’s often not logical (risking jail time) but it’s so emotionally satisfying. We have a whole punitive system built to satisfy this emotional want - but I’m getting completely off a tangent.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not accountable

I’m making a crystal ball guess just like you and pelosi and others are. I’m of course thinking I’m right. I’m open that I’m wrong. I have stated my reasons and I am not looking for your agreement.

20. biff17

biff17 Member

i am still not getting it,impeaching Trump but he is still in office is sweeter revenge than actually voting him out of office?

so it's not about saving the democracy it's about revenge.

a revenge that actually accomplishes nothing but a historical record.