1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SNL Fires Shane Gillis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

I tend to agree, it takes a lot to offend me personally, but there's a difference between using offensive language in a positive versus a negative way, if that makes any sense whatsoever. Meaning and context does matter, and comedy, just like everything, has to adapt to the times.

2. Buck Turgidson

Also, this is one of my favorite recent skits by the sjw mass media liberal mafia that runs nbc:

this is a good one too:

#42 Buck Turgidson, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    mdrowe00, FranchiseBlade and jcf like this.
  3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I'll agree with you to an extent, but he wasn't the only one laughing during that skit. Ferrell (who was also a notorious for breaking character, but never gets called out on it) barely keeps it together. And Walken himself can be seen laughing out loud in the back ground when he's back in the booth). I cut Fallon some slack on this one...how can you NOT laugh at comedy greatness.

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just to clarify a bit. Almost the exact opposite is true of Ferrell. He was notorious for an exaggerated commitment to his character. That's where a lot of the humor comes from in his characters. Fallon and Horatio would break character and laugh. Ferrell would laugh occasionally but even when others were laughing he was still mostly holding it together.

ima_drummer2k and Nook like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The one with Tom Hanks absolutely kills me
    The other Highlight is the Dave Chappelle show

Rocket River

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

8. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It’s not a bad idea to appeal to conservative viewers, but hella cynical to choose one who uses racist wyte-centered jokes, where one looks around twice before telling, as the Conservative draw.

I don’t think there’s any way around how liberal the weekend update is. That’s almost straight from the head writers. Not that I’m saying Lorne should fix it, but that’s ground zero for lib and NY centered jokes

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've kept waiting for someone to bring up the Marvel James Gunn firing/re-hiring but it hasn't happened yet, unless I just missed it.

Truth is, if I had the slightest idea who Shane Gillis is, one way or another, I might care.

As it is, SNL is getting rid of someone who I never even knew was there. There is no cost in the cost-benefit analysis for me. Conversely, I have an established favorable opinion of James Gunn so the cost of losing him was significant.

That's just life. If he had the power afforded him by an established career Gillis could weather this. But if he had that kind of pull he wouldn't be hiring on to work on SNL in the first place. SNL is where nobodies go to try and become somebody.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Grew up in the glory days of SNL: John Belushi. Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Chevy Chase, Laraine Newman. Then came in Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Chris Farley.

Those days have been long gone.

mick fry likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Have you seen Norm lately?

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This is a lie so of course carl falls for it.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since Trump isn't a conservative, your post wasn't really relevant.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

Shane Gillis will never be this funny.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

They could say numbers real good. Duck sauce, soy sauce, duck sauce soy sauce, .29 cents!!! You have penny? Lmao

They're operational, I didn't say their dicks were small and broken, lolol

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just to be clear. Gillis' offensive comments were not even in a joke format right? He was just insulting Asians with no punch line or wit. It was in a format of a podcast where he was being interviewed.

If you are going to be offensive, you best be funny.

Also, "cancel culture" doesn't work because of loud voices on Twitter. It works because of capitalism and the networks determining if it effects their bottom line.