1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amick/TheAthletic] Fertitta discusses the Westbrook trade and why it made sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member

Does anyone actually believe that our pace didn't have anything to do with Paul's health? You think the pace wasn't slowed down on purpose because Paul was breaking down and probably couldn't sustain a top 8 pace ranking for an entire season?

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ok just a simple yes or no is all I need. No summary needed.

Did Rivers say anything in these other podcasts that contradicts himself when he said on national TV that Harden is doing exactly what is being asked of him in regards to our isolation heavy play style?

If yes I would be happy to listen to every second of each one tomorrow.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Did it change when he didn’t play? Nope.

4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I wouldn't mind rockets getting scottie 'rocky balbao' brooks to begin coaching harden and restbrook!1!

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not really seeing this philosophical swing... I'm seeing a bump the year MDA arrived... and o/w business as usual...

Pace
    12-13: 96.1 Harden arrives
    13-14: 96.3
    14-15: 96.5
    15-16: 97.6
    16-17: 100 MDA arrives
    17-18: 97.6
    18-19: 97.9
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Seriously? U have to compare it to the rest of the league at the time...

Harden and the Rockets were playing faster than the vast majority of teams in the league for most of Harden’s tenure here. The pace is only 96.1 in 12-13 because all the teams the Rockets were facing were much slower dragging down the amount of possessions. That’s the same reason the 04-05 SSOL Suns played at a slower pace than last year’s Rockets even tho they led the league in pace back then. Teams have sped up the pace dramatically the past 3 years while the Rockets went against the tide after the 1st year with MDA and played extremely slow relative to the rest of the NBA.

U didn’t even include the reduction in fastbreak points. How is that not a philosophical swing? We went from 1 of the fastest teams scoring near the top in fastbreak ppg year after year to being 1 of the slowest teams and rarely getting fastbreak points (from top 4 in transition points every year to 17th and 19th...from top 7 in pace every year to near the bottom of the league).

#86 Reeko, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    joshuaao and jordnnnn like this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Chris Paul was too big headed for my liking. I think Harden and Westbrook are going to mesh quite nicely

tinman likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I knew the pace has steadily increased league wide... in just looking now it is more dramatic than i woulda thought... 92 to 100 since 12/13... its almost back up to the pace of the 80's...

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Lol I feel the same way

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

If that's the case then why was the pace so much faster with harden and without Paul?

11. gogispade

gogispade Member

Haha Russ blazing it, nice.

tinman likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

it wasnt the last 2 years when he was actually on the team. when he was out, the pace didn't dramatically change.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's starting to look like I'm gonna have to download their stupid app to read it.

xiki likes this.
  14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I dont think it was. Sure alittle, but I pace was more to cut down on turnovers. In the fact we are a iso team. I actually thought our pace was perfect for the warriors who turnt the ball over alot agaisnt us.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

A lot is on the line if this fails.

Morey probably gets scapegoated and fired.

Harden and Westbrook no longer will be friends.

We probably go into full rebuild or full r****d (likely the latter because of Tilman).

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lot of butt hurt cofs in here

Morey n tilman are right rockets are alot better team thats the right trade to make

D-rock likes this.
  17. riko

riko Member

Great post

topfive likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

T. Might be right, but he should stfu about comparisons when there’s still public debate over whether we did Chris dirty.

Media don’t t care we gave him an obscene contract...

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

How is paying him max as promised dirty? So the rockets should have just wasted their championship window for a guy who has fallen off a cliff and can only play 50 games a season?

xiki likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They traded him to Siberia, a year after the extension ink dried.

Seriously T Fart should STFU about anything CP3related. It’s not making him look good nor smrt.