1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WWII Movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Has there been a good one about Enigma? Most are silly and America-centric. (see U-571)

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good mentions so far. I really enjoy The Longest Day whenever it's on just for the sheer amount of stars that are in the movie. It's fascinating to see them all together in one film.

Not a movie but a series, Generation War on Netflix is something I really enjoyed. All too often we don't get to see the war from the views of the average German, Russian, or Japanese.

Also an interesting film is called John Rabe about a businessman and Nazi party member who is in China during the rape of Nanking. He basically struggles to save as many people as he can from the Japanese invasion.

3. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Enemy at the Gates was pretty good.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Do you think the movies listed here are factual?

5. Buck Turgidson

I remember him from Iris Chang's book about Nanking. Didn't know there was a movie. Thanks.

6. Buck Turgidson

I do believe Braveheart is one of his favorite movies.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Das Boat has always been one of my favorites -- it was so raw and intense compared to other war movies back then.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

"Das Boot" = "The Boat"

Jurgen Prochnow is awesome.

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Das Boot is the story of German businessman stuck in the trunk of a Jaguar in Central London.

10. Buck Turgidson

Aldo Mori? Yeah, I know he was Italian....

11. SemisolidSnake

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

I actually just inadvertently answered this question in this thread. The Best Years of Our Lives and Grave of the Fireflies were my choices, and they work here, too.

13. Buck Turgidson

14. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Someone mentioned Saving Private Ryan right?

Also some memorable ones I watched
    Enemy at the Gates
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Dunkirk
    U-571

Also if anyone is interested the lesser known but bloody battles fought by the Chinese people, here is a classic one.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Never seen a more egregiously inaccurate film about an important point in history.

There will be fiction parts in any movie, but that crappy movie sucked, mainly because idiots growing up will think Hitler died in a movie theater.

Think I'm wrong? Recall all of the idiots that posted after Titanic not knowing it was an actual ship that sank...

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I assume you missed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

It just came out so, yeah...

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, Fatty is taking a lot of heat in this thread, but I kind of get what he's saying (did I really just say that?) I'm a history nerd and I prefer my war movies to be as factually accurate as possible. I don't have any use for total fiction when the facts are as compelling as they are already.

I've been wanting to watch Come and See but I can't find it anywhere. Same thing with Das Boot. I've heard both are about as realistic as you can get.

Just started watching Generation War on Amazon Prime. Agree with @CometsWin that it's very interesting to see the view from the other side.

I see that a remake of Midway is coming out and it looks like CGI from start to finish. No thanks. Use real planes like Tora Tora Tora. Or even Dunkirk.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you think of alt-history movies and shows which is what some of these movies are? For example, Man in the High Castle in an alternate view of what happened in WW II and its very well received.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm cool with them as long as they're presented as such. Not really my cup of tea, however.

I watched the 1st season of Man in the High Castle and I liked it.....but man, is it slow. I just couldn't get motivated to finish it. Mistake?