1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have a different take. Corporate media mostly pushes people and topics that will drive ratings and clicks. If it's an Obama smile or a Trump tweet, they could not really care less, at the end of the day, if it leads to their business model surviving for a while longer.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I know Ben Shapiro can be a prick at times , but he interviewed Yang and provided Andrew a platform to say something very similar to this .

He’s a guy that I’m 100 percent on board with because of his thought process . I like how he analyzes and solves problems . He uses data . He’s a strategist and has the most common sense that I’ve seen out of a candidate in a while .

If he could win the primary there is no doubt in my mind that he would win the general . If you see conservative YouTube Chanel comments of his interviews etc they are all positive lol .

This guy talks about the problems and the solutions . I wish his debate performance was more like his calmer demeanor when he has more time to get his point across . However , I think he knows what he’s doing .

I can’t wait till more people hear of this guy . Checking out his site is so easy . It’s well formatted . It clearly states the problem , evidence , and proposed solution . He’s will admit to weaknesses and is practical , if optimistic haha .

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A very very liberal friend of mine who is Asian on FB has been criticizing Yang on the use of model minority stereotypes "Asians are good at math. Asians are doctors. etc..." She's accusing him of being a sellout and perpetuating harmful stereotypes. I like that he is using self-deprecating stereotypes and rather than perpetuating them I think he is making fun of them. Wondering what y'all think?

mdrowe00 and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. VanityHalfBlack

Sorry to hear that about your friend, but she might need to seek medical attention.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m not Asian , so I don’t really care .

I get that it could be cringeworthy if you are Asain and you’re tired of hearing those stereotypes. I can even see how it would be disappointing if someone you thought would be a leader not speaking clearly against **** like that .

But personally , I’m for how Yang dealt with the snl guy . And he can use his Asian heritage however he wants , I’m not Asian I’m certainly not going to tell him what’s ok and not ok to say about Asian people .

Other Asian people can also speak for
    Themselves . If being stereotyped for being good at math or knowing doctors is that damaging to the perception of Asian Americans then idk what to say .

He’s his own individual and he’s not pandering . I like that

7. myco

myco Contributing Member

I won't go as far as saying I like that he's using them, as my initial reaction is a mild cringe, but I think it is a decently effective way of getting more conservative voters to lower their walls in defense against outrage culture (or at least what they perceive to be as outrage culture). I think those who accuse him of being a sellout, etc., take themselves too seriously.

#767 myco, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    superfob, snowconeman22 and B-Bob like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I think people will always find something to complain about.

9. adoo

adoo Member

time has changed.

During my parent's time, the stereotype was that Asians can't adapt to the American way of life, and
    that their children would bring down the quality of education at schools and universities

Now, the stereotype is Asians can be Jew-like entrepreneurs, and
    their children are disproportionately over-represented at elite universities ,,
    necessitating an arbitrary / esoteric quota system to lessen their enrollment​

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is obvious that he is making fun of the stereotype and not seriously trying to say that because he's Asian he's good at Math or knows a lot of doctors.

It sounds like he's making fun of the stereotype and people that buy into the stereotype rather than pushing himself as a model for the stereotype.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. B-Bob

The very liberal friend sounds like a very academic sort. I don't know that "model minority" worries are a thing beyond the over-educated class in this country. I think Yang is honestly not from the academic world and may even have a certain distaste for that world. He really seems to enjoy connecting with real folks.

But yes, at my university, his behavior would be a very big deal, a no fly zone, full of horrible, horrible things. Also, long sigh.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Honestly, Warren is a waste in the VP job. I don't really like her brand of big government liberalism, but she is one of the smarter, diligent and effective Senators the Democrats have. I wouldn't want to take her out of the Senate and put her in a VP job that doesn't actually have any powers.

What race is she when she's not on Facebook?

I understand the complaint, and I kinda agree. I'd politely ask Yang to stop doing that. But, it's also not like saying Mexicans are rapists. It's not hugely problematic and I don't think it'd impact my voting. I think myco is right:

I think Yang is leveraging Asian stereotypes because he knows his race will be a handicap in this election. He can defuse the tension a bit by using the stereotypes and maybe get people to set his race aside. He ends up reinforcing stereotypes for his personal benefit. I can understand some people, especially those who don't like his politics, resenting that.

joshuaao, Amiga, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  13. B-Bob

I have to admit I enjoyed this way more than anyone could expect.
    I hope a bunch of you still remember our "strong black woman" of the BBS:

[​IMG]

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Good ol’ baylorbear haha

That was some good ****

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

She identifies as an 800 year old Asian dire wolf.

snowconeman22 and B-Bob like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So much for cutting back on Asian stereotypes..

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Well played sir!
    It's not about resenting his politics but the idea that it is perpetuating the stereotype, even in jest. For me some of the joking use of the stereotype was pretty good but I think he is pushing it way too much. I'm less bothered by it perpetuating the stereotype but that it is getting stale.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Great memory!

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yang addresses the Shane Gillis controversy and his use of Asian stereotype.

marks0223 likes this.
  20. myco

myco Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.