1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now predict playoff roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hemingway, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On MM, I expect he catches at least a third of the playoff games. Maybe half. His defense is good.

On Tucker, think he's going to be okay. Alvarez and Tucker should be starters going forward. Toro and Straw look like at least backups. With Bregman and Altuve signed for 5 more years, looks like nearly half the position players for the next half of a decade are already known.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Straw and Toro could both be average regulars. They may not fit that role on the Astros since the standard seems to be quite a bit higher. But I agree, if they can find/afford the starting pitching, the future looks very bright, even 5-6 years out.

3. Major

Major Member

This may be series-dependent. For example, the Twins just don't steal any bases - they are dead last in the league with 26 steals (and 20 caught) for the year. Yankees & Dodgers are #22 and #24 respectively. On the flipside, Cleveland and TB are top 10.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I seem to remember this same "fear" in the 2017 playoffs. In the 18 playoff games with McCann playing most every inning, there were 3 steals and 3 caught stealings even though he only threw out 8 of 60+ runners during the regular season. These days, it's just not that important.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Unless the other team makes it important. Yankees added Gore and Maybin. Hamilton got picked up by someone. MM should come in late in games with lead if other team has an elite punch runner.

6. Buck Turgidson

Defensively, Maldo's arm is the only thing he has over Chirinos. We know RC will catch Verlander, he's caught all of his starts this year, most likely Miley and Greinke too. MM's been catching Cole recently, so that's where I'd expect MM to get a start in the postseason.

If I'm Hinch I'd be really, really tempted to take Tucker over Reddick for the ALDS...see what happens, then re-evaluate if they advance to the ALCS.

7. bobrek

Gore has as many games played with the Yankees as I do this season.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Does this mean you don't think Gore will be used as a pinch runner in the playoffs? Last I heard he was in AAA just waiting for MLB playoffs.

9. bobrek

I have no idea. Just odd that he is not with the team this month considering it’s September. Regardless, if the Astros are worried about a possible pinch runner, then I don’t know what to think.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pinch runners are on base. Yes, Astros should fear pinch runners on great teams.

11. bobrek

Do you think the Yankees or Twins are contemplating lineup changes based on Myles Straw?

12. Buck Turgidson

Does Maldonado prevent more free bases with his arm than he allows with his glove?

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes.

14. Buck Turgidson

Show your work?

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eyeball test says MM's blocking and SB are likely offsetting or close enough to Chirinos that it is solely a question of who is the better framer. MM is the better framer even with Chirinos being a lot better than advertised. Feel free to look at stats if you must, but this is easy to see.

Chirinos has the better bat, and has the better relationship with Verlander.

16. Buck Turgidson

I was curious why they didn't bunt with MM today when he had 2 on and no out in the 6?th. Seemed like good practice for him in the Postseason.

I disagree about RC vs MM behind the plate: arm goes to MM, receiving is a wash, RC is better on blocking balls. Depends on the SP I hope, we'll see what Hinch does, I'm sure it will befuddle at least a couple of us.

Regardless, the catcher hitting 8th or 9th in the Postseason is not a huge concern to me.

17. bobrek

That was the at bat where he showed bunt on the first pitch. And, more to the situation, it was in the 2nd when it was only 2-1.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd prefer Chirinos because of the bat to start. I expect MM will start a good amount, but be used later in game if needed.

19. Buck Turgidson

You're right, my bad. It was no out in the 2nd with runners on 1-2. Still prime Maldo batting 9th bunt practice opportunity, if last years Postseason is any indication he needs the practice.

20. bobrek

I was surprised as well. He did have a really good pitch to hit on the second pitch and just missed drilliing it.