1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Bregman has better plate discipline. Altuve has better bat to ball skills. Springer has more power. Brantley is better contact and line drive with less pop.
    I’m not going to dig way in on one guy over another bc the main point I’m making is that there is not any particular separation between like 5 of the guys on the team when heathy. Yordan is the best hitter, Yuli is the worst (of our top 7 guys) and the other are pretty indistinguishable to me with each having their areas they excel at and being al star level. All 5 of those guys are somewhere between the top 5 and 20 hitters in the AL, which is crazy stupid good.

I’d go Trout, Yordan, Martinez, Judge and Betts and then you could throw all 5 of the other Astros names in a hat and I wouldn’t have a preference one way or another.

But yeah, Trout is the MVP unless he takes the month of September off with injury or has a lousy month.

texans1095 likes this.
  2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Sounds like Trout is having surgery and will be out for the rest of the season. Is still a chance for a MVP for Bregman if Bregman finishes strong?

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. Trout, as awesome as he is, should not be the MVP if he misses an entire month of the season. Attendance counts (or should) with an award like that imo.
    Bregman makes as much sense as anyone with Trout on the shelf for ~15-20 percent of the year.

mick fry likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Production counts. If a guy misses a month and still produces more, he should be MVP. This should be close.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The door is officially open for Bregs if he doesn't slump these last 2 weeks.

Their WAR would be close enough to overlook and one could a make a reasonable argument that Bregman contributed more overall.

Joe Joe likes this.
  6. vince

vince Member

Wow, Trout has been shut down! Coincidence or are you a baseball insider?

Trout is a phenomenal player and talent. Bregman is probably the hardest or one of the hardest working person in baseball.

Both guys deserve it, but Trout has longevity in his arsenal.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’d been out for a week when I wrote that. They said he was coming back but had a minor procedure and should be in full on tank mode. Didn’t take much reading between the lines to see this might be possible.

8. vince

vince Member

Just keeping light humor on the thread.

But good call anyways... True, Bregman has an outside shot now. It’s crazy to say with Bregman posting an OPS of .995 to 1.000 through the season with 11 games remaining.

If Trout gets the award, most Astros fans are so respectful of what Trout has done, few would complain. But shoot we still want Bregman to bring the MVP award to the Astros.

joshuaao and texans1095 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

CO-MVP
    CO-CY
    ROY-NoCO

Give out the awards that really matter during the Postseason

joshuaao, Joe Joe and vince like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Trout is about to lead MLB in OPS+ for the 6th year in a row, this is unprecedented.

We're actually lucky to be in the ALW and get to witness this with regularity.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros are lucky that Angel's got Trout, were gifted Ohtani, and still can't put a team together.

DoitDickau, Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

How were they "gifted" Ohtani?

I love watching Trout play ball, so yeah, I like that he's in our Division.

I'm really glad that Artie Moreno is horrible at spending money on baseball. Hope it stays that way.

13. vince

vince Member

Probably because the only teams in contention to get him were those West Coast teams... I don’t even think the Astros got a meeting with him.

Probably by gifted he means, by the situation. It’s probably like Oshanti fell into their lap from out of the sky.

14. Buck Turgidson

Lots of people would say Bregman did the same for us....

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rules changed that prevented Ohtani from being paid well. Angels didn't have to use draft pick to get him or pay him nearly anything, I'd call that a gift

16. Buck Turgidson

A "gift" that every other MLB team had the option to use, and he got to pick the one? Sure. Still don't see how this was a "gift" to any particular team.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

By seasons end, the Astros should be sporting a bunch of metal from MLB

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What did Angels give up of value to acquire Ohtani? No team had the option of choosing Ohtani. Ohtani got to pick where he went, and give whichever team he picked a ton of surplus value.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh if Bregman plays well and the Astros get home field through out the playoffs, he likely wins the MVP.

Trout has been a deserving candidate for 7 straight years, so cannot be upset if he wins it.

moonsh0t, joshuaao and everyday eddie like this.
  20. CinematicFusion

Trout: 134 games, .291 batting average, 1.083 OPS, 45 home runs, 104 RBIs, 110 runs, 137 hits, 11 stolen bases, 110 walks.

Bregman: 145 games, .295 average, .999 OPS, 36 home runs, 104 RBIs, 114 runs, 153 hits, five stolen bases, 109 walks.

2 weeks left for Bregman...