1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBSsports]How Rockets manipulated the salary cap to create a trade asset, become favorites for Iggy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Mr. sleeves is at it again

bilaal14 and burlesk like this.
  2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

You don’t have to trade house for iggy. There are other non guaranteed contracts on the team that can be included

JoeBarelyCares and D-rock like this.
  3. valorita

valorita Member

50/50 they will void it for...

Basketball reasons.

Morey is that guy at Walmart or Target trying to get the 75” HDTV for $299

amaru, Ramo$e and burlesk like this.
  4. Red Nation RGV

This

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This writer forgets that Nene cant be traded until January 15th.

I seriously doubt Memphis is going to wait that long to rid themselves of Iggy.

Yes , the contract is a trade asset created out of thin air …. But it has Zilch todo with Iggy.

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Between 25th and 35th draft pick make more sense to grizzlies.

House to blazers for a pick, then ....

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

per the article:
    "The simplest construction of a trade would be based around the inclusion of Danuel House. He is viable salary filler at $3.54 million, but as a valuable young wing, the Grizzlies would likely be happy to accept him in lieu of draft pick compensation."

Why would the Griz be getting anything substantive back? They got paid a protected first to take Iggy's contract.... if they can then skirt that contract while diminishing the cost (and pocketing that protected first from GSW) that should be best case scenario for them...
    But them getting paid to take Iggy - and then getting paid to deal Iggy.... naw... screw that... I wouldnt let them double dip like that...

and then Iggy doesnt want to take less in a buyout bc he's 'earned that money due to him'?

Screw this whole scenario...

Let the Griz swallow that stupid contract... and let Iggy waste his time there in order to get that money... screw em both...

...imo...

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

per the article:
    "To tie this all back to Iguodala, the Rockets would need to send out at least $13,748,178 in salary to acquire him with no other players attached. Nene now represents $10 million of that salary, though he can only be traded as of Jan. 15. That leaves around $3.8 million that needs to be filled, Below is Houston's cap sheet, via Spotrac. "

tmoney1101 and D-rock like this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

2 seasons ago - Joe Johnson
    Last season - Melo
    This season - Iggy

burlesk likes this.
  10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

gotta keep kissing them frogs ...

burlesk likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Imagine if Morey actually ever played ball and understood chemistry and wasn’t a never has been who is a slave to numbers. We might actually have a shot...

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The point is , Memphis isn't waiting for Nene to be trade eligible in January.

He'll be out of Memphis by December.

That "Trade asset" isn't about Iggy , its about being able to make the team better ….

Clips/Roxfan and burlesk like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Is manipulate the right word here? How can you manipulate the salary cap? Doesn’t seem right.

1 other person likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We had multiple shots. Our best player is just a chump and his sidekick got weak hammies.

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Why does it seem consensus around here that Iggy is washed? Last season he arguably would have been our second best defender.

D-rock likes this.
  16. raspar

raspar Member

I'd imagine it'd work out just like it does for Michael Jordan and all the teams he touches...

Oh wait... He's only had two years where they made the playoffs in his 10 years of ownership. nevermind.

Y2JT and Williamson like this.
  17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.

I wonder how long this has been in the works. If I read this right, Nene gets more guaranteed salary over the two year period (though he only has to play one) than he opted out of this year. That gets me thinking back to when the league disallowed Nene's contract due to length and age and wonder if this was worked out then? Memory is hazy but I think that was a three year contract that had to be shortened to two. And now next year is year three, and I bet the total salaries basically match up.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Two things I like about this...

- We take care of Nene for his contributions to the team.
    - We have a $10M trade chip that no other contender will have. This could be a powerful bargaining asset in Jan-Feb depending on how the season unfolds.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's also about the same age as PJ Tucker and much younger than Chandler. I don't get it either. You can't convince me he couldn't, at the very least, be a vital part of our bench.

#40 Williamson, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    D-rock, BigggReddd and YOLO like this.