1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Unpopular opinion) I don’t like Harden’s one-leg three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Sep 12, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

elite athlete's dont get hurt? o_O

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

It's unblockable because he goes off running off one foot while defender can only jump off two. His hangtime will be way longer than defender, and defender has to jump towards him to block it which will result in foul

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don’t care if he starts shooting halfcourt granny shots with 20 seconds on the clock if he’s shooting them at 36% or better.

Ball in basket. Do.

DreamQuake and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Morey ?

RyanB likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The 1-leg 3 is NOT the move that Harden is working on. It is a distraction to throw you people off the scent of his actual new move:

the 3-leg 1.

hakeem94, RyanB, Bengchu and 4 others like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I couldn't care less if he does it from the ground, from a hand stand, back to the basket, underhand, whatever...so long as it goes in at a steady rate. If this moves help him do that, great. If not...ditch it.

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Troll thread but I will play along. He should hold back his eurostep, his regular shot, his layup, basic 3's. He should hold it all back because everything can be scouted.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Troll response but I’ll play along .

Do you remember when josh smith and Dwight Howard went bonkers vs the mavs that one game with alleyoops ?

Do you think if we ran the 4/5 pick and roll say 30 percent of the time in the regular season beforehand .... that the Mavericks would have been equally unprepared

If you can remember a bit more ... you’d know that smith and Howard didn’t go off like that again for the rest of the series . The mavs adjusted .

Do you think that defenses got any better at contesting Harden’s 3’s as the season went on ?

The point is that any move any play is subject to diminishing returns .

I didn’t make this thread claiming I know for a fact that if harden shoots, say 3 of these shots a game, it will be useless by playoffs . Clearly James stepback was still effective in the playoffs . However , the jazz did do some things to take it away .... harden adapted and the results were mixed .

It’s a game of adjustments , especially when you go into series .

The information you go into the series with is very important .

Look who’s won recently and if they as an organization went all out during the regular season . They havent . Everyone talks about taking their game up a notch in the playoffs . Is it really absurd to suggest that it might be a good idea for James to hold some moves in reserve .... or at the least use them sparingly during the regular season so they aren’t at the forefront of opposing scouting efforts ?

Let’s say you have a pitcher that could throw 108 mph . What do you think other teams are gonna do if they know that ? Probably get guys in the batting cage and practice the timing . Do you think it might be a better idea to have him throw only 104 during the regular season ... then surprise another team with in when it counts more ?

It might be that it takes an average batter 1 week of practice to get prepared to have an equal percentage chance of hitting that fastball .

You are grossly underestimating the amount of analysis and preparation professional basketball organizations and players undertake. Teams can take film from every harden jumper , calculate an average of how far he moves in a given direction and try to prepare defenders to contest efficiently .

Do you remember 10 years ago when Shane battier was talking about having data on Kobe Bryant and how often he goes which direction etc ? He then used that info to try and make life as hard on Kobe as possible .

Harden is a smart player . He can adapt quickly and has multiple moves . I’d STILL rather not give defenses more information on tendencies and how to effectively contest shots

RichieBanks likes this.
  10. Garner

Garner Member

come on now....

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean that's what i thought when you're merely saying he's an "elite athlete" so things that @snowconeman22 , myself, and a few others mentioned about being concerned about sudden body movement shifts and weight in high intensity environments seem to not be much of a factor to you. I mean people should know by now in sports any mistep in an instance, can result in a tear/sprain of some degree.

In this case, we're seeing harden putting much of his weight on one leg in a shifty movement. personally, id rather not him do this on a regular basis either. I've seen and been around enough knee injuries to prefer him not doing so

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its directional (angular) in how it creates space …. just like the step back and side step but going at a forward angle.

Its not that it creates "more space" than the other options , but that it does create space. Its that it gives him another option in how to create space and create that space to get off a good shot. And one more thing for defenders to think about.

Hope that makes sense.

pippendagimp likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Where is the video of this one legged 3? Can’t make an opinion without it.

14. Mr. Space City

Amiga likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Awesome, just another tool in his arsenal. I like.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Let’s hope they don’t get under that one leg on the landing. He will landing. with all his weight on one foot, that will be catastrophic.

YOLO likes this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

What you do not rely on some sort of trick move out of the sudden. Sounds good but you perfect each move in actual game play then during plays offs you use each move to put them on their heels. You dont surprise them with some sort of crazy move, you overwhelm them with many perfected ones.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Garner

Garner Member

Ha, that’s fine. I hear your point. Are you also anti

Yea, sure. Except this is the most old man, “the lay-up is safer than the dunk” argument I’ve ever heard.

You guys must bum each other out, right?

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Right? i tore my acl year ago by landing on my heel while having a straight leg

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean what age is harden now. o_O lets not act like hes a young 20.