1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ilhan Omar tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lets get some runs

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought it was a beautiful post, and all I get back is a Cmon? :(

Yes. Though she's had campaign finance problems before that she's had to correct. As a first-timer, she might not know all the ropes and get her hand slapped a few times. Even Trump ran afoul of campaign finance law. It'll be funny to watch Republicans wring their hands about Omar misappropriating campaign funds while totally ignoring what Trump had done. It'll also be funny to watch Trumpers accuse liberals of hypocrisy because they excoriated Trump over campaign finance violations and will "ignore" what Omar has done.

As to what Omar has done, if this guy was working on her campaign, there would be travel expenses to be reimbursed, so they're probably largely legit. The article notes that work began in July but reimbursements were not made until April. Since I have some professional experience with lobbyists and consultants, I'll tell you this happens all the time. They sit on receipts for months, especially when in the thick of some campaign. Contracts for corporations typically say travel expenses are reimbursable if submitted within 6 months -- 6 months prior to April is October, which would be the heaviest travel month. Many lobbyists are operating in small shops, so they don't have an A/R group sending out invoices. The lobbyist has to fish receipts out of his wallet and scan them. We have to chase them to make sure everything gets paid before the end of the fiscal year because we don't want some old expense hurting our budget performance in the new year. So the timing (that expenses increased when the affair "heated up" when they finally paid bills in April) they use to insinuate something looks like bs to me.

Its also interesting that she denies the affair. After all, she remarried earlier that same year. It could be the disgruntled wife of the lobbyist is using the close working relationship to claim there was an affair to give herself a stronger hand in divorce proceedings. Or of course, there might really be an affair. It doesn't really matter though. She might need to restate some campaign finance reports. Big deal.

3. foh

foh Member

C'mon Juan. Just tell us if we could put the squad lady into prison with scarlet letter on her pretty (only relatively per dachuda) face. Details are for suckers

4. foh

foh Member

I bet this wouldn't have even made a blip on the news if Omar was a white congressman of same views - even if this hypothetical rep said those mildly anti Jewish comments (no worse than what Trump said and no one really cared outside of Jewish circles - based on the headlines and their staying power in politics discourse).

She is only in the news because Trump made her into a thing and because she is a young brown woman.

She doesn't represent my district. Why is her private life of any interest?

I barely care about POTUS private life - only in as far as precaution against possibility of him grabbing a you-know-what or being blackmailed by a prostitute into doing foreign party bidding. Also, he represents me.

Trump is the news cycle guru - he manipulates us so well.

5. TheresTheDagger

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What’s more disrespectful? Not acknowledging the validity of the 9/11 hijackers religious convictions or spending the day b****ing about how the media is unfair to you?

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

I’m thinking the apologists. So you’re saying some people did something?

Silent_Bob likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's fair.

jcf likes this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He lost me when he started talking about this being a "Judeo-Christian nation".

I'm not fond of Omar, but I'm also not fond of the people triggered by Omar, and there are a lot more of them.

10. MystikArkitect

They just cant help themselves can they.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The inverse of the former. Making the loss of 3000 people into a "let's berate Muslims" day is a sign that that someone doesn't actually care about the victims, but rather just want an excuse to be on a high horse trying to tell people who their religion or lack of religion is superior.

13. fchowd0311

Disgusting human. Acussing someone of not having empathy for 3000 humans dying because they brought up the event with a pronoun is grasping at straws to frame the Individual as evil.

He's a propagandist and him losing his child doesn't give him some magical sympathy to smear people without validity. In fact, it's even more disgusting that he is using the bully pulpit built on top of his child's death to attack others with no rational reason other than trash culture wars and right wing propaganda.

This man deserves no respect if he's willing to do bs like this.

#493 fchowd0311, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  14. fchowd0311

Probably the most clear example of concern trolling.

No one sane genuinely believes that her using a pronoun in reference to 9/11 means she made light of the event. Only propagandists and concern trolls would do so.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

He's not triggered. He's trying to get into the right wing grift media circuit. This is a economical move. Not a emotional move.

biff17 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Omar was in New Jersey cheering the collapse of the towers with her fellow Muslims.

17. fchowd0311

Yup. Thousands upon thousands of them according to Trump. You would think we would have video or photo evidence of thousands of Muslims celebrating 9/11 on the streets of Jersey City.

18. TheresTheDagger

What a complete tool you are. This guy lost his MOTHER (not his son you imbecile) in the attacks but you attack him as "not caring about victims".

And if you watched the video of what he said, he didn't berate "muslims" as you claim. Just Omar for saying "some people did some things".

WTF is wrong with you?

Silent_Bob likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy lost a relative. I can forgive him losing touch with reality about events surrounding this tragedy. What I don't forgive are those that follow in line with it.

Ottomaton likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There’s nothing worse than using a tragedy like 9/11 to work political gamesmanship and troll online.

Stop hiding behind 9/11 victims to troll Dems on behalf of King Trump.

I would have used harsher words to refer to Bin Laden’s attackers than Omar used. But this is not a real scandal. It’s right wing blown out of proportion scandal that is used as propaganda to frame a brown skin Democrat as a terrorist sympathizer. It’s shameful, and should be called out. We can disagree with Omar without entertaining this ridiculous propaganda trap.