1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Release Aaron Colvin

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Sep 10, 2019.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

One bad game is not a good enough sample size.. We all know how mercurial BOB is, but this is ridiculous.

txtodd likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Eh, Colvin has been atrocious for a hell of a lot longer than 24 hours. Last night's game was just the pancake that broke The General's breakfast table.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

One bad game?? Colvin has been absolute ass since he's gotten here, my dude. Straight up garbage.

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

His former team was about to light him up.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still has a guaranteed 7.5m on his contract this year.

DD

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He was so bad last year the CB depth was the walking wounded and he still couldn't get on the field.

I think he played the play wrong he was shell shocked from being burned so much that he gave extra cushion when the defense was lined up to take away short stuff because they had the safeties back deep.

He just ****ed up and now he is gone.

raining threes and BigShasta like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Those 7.5 million would have signed clowney. I know I should move on from that but it's just do hard

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny not funny but you could say the same about the 2018 big FA acquisition as well as 2019. Robys good year was between Talib and Harris.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Great thing we have all this cap space now . How much is currently being unused/ being spent on players that aren’t on the team ?

What is going on haha ?

BigShasta likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Future cap is not affected by these moves.

Colvin’s money is already accounted for.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Let’s stop pretending like Colvin was not our worst corner last year as well.

red5rocket and No Worries like this.
  13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think this was a long time coming, his contract and lack of depth was the only thing keeping him here.

His tape from Monday night must have been awful.

BigShasta and No Worries like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Man... their player evaluation process is a frickin' mess. I'll give them this small bit of credit: you can blast them for the package, but at least they were smart enough to blow all that draft capital on a *young* player with Tunsil. Beyond that, their track record on player evaluation has been ABYSMAL.

38 draft picks since 2014 (through 2018): Watson, Clowney, McKinney, Fuller, Cunningham, Reader & Reid were all great picks. The jury is out on Coutee and the Jordan TEs. Otherwise, can you find even a marginally functioning NFL player in the other 28 picks? I guess, by definition, Nick Martin would be a marginally functioning NFL player. Meanwhile, it's early but with some glaring holes, the '19 class hasn't exactly stepped up.

Free agents (through 2018)? I'll focus on the larger names (I may miss some): GOOD: Mathieu, Fulton FINE(ish): Fitzpatrick, Miller AVERAGE: Hoyer AWFUL: Rahim Moore (remember him?), Osweiler, Jeff Allen, Colvin, Henderson & Kelemete LEFT: Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, AJ Bouye

Trades? IN: Tunsil, Mallet (LOL) and... I'm likely forgetting players; OUT: Duane Brown, Jadeveon Clowney....

I can still hold on for dear life to a much more adaptable, innovative BO'B in 2014 & 2015 (+ the Watson portion of 2017), and hope that guy comes back. But elevating ANYBODY in this organization who has been here since 2014 and putting them in charge of personnel is.......... Oh, boy.

Just look at the players that have LEFT. How good would *this* team be with Brown, Brooks and Jones + Bouye and Clowney? I mean...

Major, Fyreball and Gray_Jay like this.
  15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I just can't imagine the pain he (and Miley) must go through with such public failure.

Did he just forget how to play football even though he played since he was 10?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...release-sticks-Texans-with-hefty-14431210.php

The Texans will carry a total of $10.615 million in dead money by releasing veteran corner Aaron Colvin from his four-year, $34 million contract that included $18 million guaranteed.

The Texans now carry $8.656 million in salary-cap charges for the year for a player no longer on the roster. They will have a $2 million cap charge in 2020 for the pro-rated portion of his $4 million signing bonus.

The Texans save nearly $235,000 in roster bonuses Colvin could have earned this year, at a rate of $15,625 per game he was active. Colvin earned that bonus for the opening game.

If Colvin signs with another team this year, the amount the Texans owe him will be subtracted from the remaining salary he's due from the team.

Colvin made $18.15 million from his Texans contract. He started three games and played in 11 games for the Texans with 34 total tackles and one pass defensed with no interceptions and was a healthy scratch for a playoff loss in January.

The Texans also have a $7 million cap charge for paying a $7 million signing bonus to Jadeveon Clowney to complete his trade to Seattle.

They also paid former tackle Matt Kalil $2.25 million before terminating his contract before the season that was worth up to $7.5 million.

Nook likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

How many seasons has Bill OBrien used the first (first few) game to make roster decisions?

These games count. 0-1. Bonehead decisions at the end of the game. Defense looked like it hadn’t been through training camp, couldn’t adjust. Offense is capable of some things but health is always going to loom large until they figure out what an offensive line does.

Same old ****.

18. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

His tape was absolutely terrible. Drew Brees was picking on him unfortunately and he just picked apart Colvin which made RAC adjust for the final play which ended terribly.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Defense gave up less points than the Saints average last year at home.

The Saints gave Kamara more touches and added a good TE to last year.

20. SuraGotMadHops

I am very ok with his, yeah they have to eat salary but eating salary is not a reason to keep a bad player. Sure, the better thing was to not sign him in the first place, but the second best thing to cut him fast before the hurts the team further. I am happy with the immediate accountability BOB and his crew are putting on players. It's a fresh change over the overly patient approach we are so used to seeing.

TheFreak and raining threes like this.