1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Mr. Space City

Watson is looking for the big play because it’s always 3rd & 10+ because of bootychin’s trash 1st and 2nd down playcalling plus all the holding penalties.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And the play that (originally) sent him to the tent was his touchdown run - no one's fault, other than Watson's, who deserves zero blame for making a play. But it wasn't a protection issue; it wasn't a bad call - he could've walked out of bounds untouched (after converting the fourth down) - but he turned up field to make a play. And did! I would guess he's a tough guy to coach, in that regard - he does NOT settle.

everyday eddie and JayGoogle like this.
  3. conquistador#11

It's on the O.C to install a quicker scheme and limit the all for one bombs.
    Rivers and Luck were guys that held on to the ball long.
    And like a broken record, Watson's rating is off the charts on rollouts. 1/1 yesterday.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

"We have to get our players to understand the situation better." Bill O’Brien on the end game for the #Texans.

— patrick (@PatDStat) September 10, 2019

bilaal14 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How can the players understand the situation when the coach doesn't?

7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

8. Nook

Nook Member

LOL Coutee.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, it's just who he is, he's looking to score and that's fine. I prefer gunslingers to guys who dink and dunk all game long because usually the dink and dunkers aren't good enough to do much else.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nothing like Duke Johnson up the middle after an incompletion on 1st down. It’s like clockwork.

Nook, bcast89, everyday eddie and 5 others like this.
  12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm at least glad it was a competitive game and not a blow out, so there is my positive polly spin. However, the same old ugly things rear its ugly head. Overly conservative playcalling that leads to 3rd and longs and over dependence on a miraculous 3rd down conversions to sustain drives. By the second half it was pretty clear the saints were bringing the blitz and yet there are still multiple playaction calls by the offense that are just doomed from the start. Also, I'm all for running the ball but I despise the draw-like handoffs that are continually used.

The last touchdown drive by the texans was fantastic but where were those shots all game? You have very good receivers and you don't have to rely on playaction to have them make big plays.

Oh, and that challenge was comically bad.

But, positive spin again, texans went into a very tough environment with a lot of key players that were new to the team and the texans were right there, so that isn't all bad.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We are gonna force Watson to retire early like Luck. Our coaching staffs incompetence will ruin this mans promising career.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

To be fair - and this is why I push back against what I think is often automatic pilot analysis - Hyde & Johnson averaged 7.4 YPC last night. Their run game was routinely gashing NO.

everyday eddie and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Between the lack of his protection, and him taking more hits running the ball, that could be true. He has the arm to do what Brees, Manning and Brady have done. But, none of those guys lasted this long by running the ball and taking all the extra beating on their bodies. Running backs have a short career for a reason. I want Deshaun to last like the greatest passers of all time, and not simply a short lived do it all man. Ask RG3 how that worked for him.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Your post(s) makes it seem like he's suddenly dropped from an elite player to a "good" player; this, after 1 game against one of the best OL in professional football. He also had to work that line without another disruptor in the front 4. After one game, I'll say he's not the MVP candidate Watt we all know, but some posters in this thread are very very quick to judge Watt, just because he didn't show out against the Saints last night. I still think he can get double digit sacks this season, which, while not the end-all, be-all number that a DE is defined by, still means Watt is elite.

We can agree to disagree (as I think he's still elite), but some posters here are acting like Watt is average-to-garbage after 1 game, and that's just a dumb take. Hopefully this subpar game will motivate him to eat the Jags' OL alive, next week.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

I posted earlier that I just didn't want to get embarrassed. At that time I meant embarrassed by getting blown out on national tv. That didn't happen, but I'm still embarrassed in a different way - embarrassed that once again we cannot hold a lead with a mere seconds left on the clock (NE, PHI, SEA, now this). So pathetic and demoralizing.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Atleast we know we’re the same team as the saints. Home teams normally are given 3 points on spread.