1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 9, 2019.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

It doesn't compare to Joe Buck's wet dreams about Aaron Judge.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Are they peaking too early?

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

The thought crept into my mind last night. Hope we’re too talented to fall in a valley come playoff time.

Tomstro likes this.
  4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

No, they're not even at 1/2 throttle imo. There's still the other half of throttle range plus a bottle of nitrous left.

It's not June or July.

We good.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tomstro likes this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Knew that was coming

No Worries likes this.
  7. vince

vince Member

Hopefully they are jettisoned into the next stratosphere, where they are playing cool calm and collectively through the playoffs.

I suspect they are honing their groove. They aren’t playing beyond their capacity, they just trounced on two teams that got got!

But I’ve never seen a team be so dominant. However, in these past 2 games the teams gave up, its not going to happen all the time. Which means we could see a 1 run game today. The Astros are taking what the opposing team is giving them.

The swings are under control, the pitchers are commanding their pitches.

Fun times.

solid and Tomstro like this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

Thank you Astros for softening the blow from that gut wrenching finish to the Texans game.

Nook, Rock Block, solid and 1 other person like this.
  9. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Still getting Correa, Gurriel and Pressly back and guys will continue to have off days between now and October.

That Bryan Abreu for the postseason roster is intriguing though.

Tomstro likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

11. Buck Turgidson

jcee15 likes this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The problem is his premature Kalas-gasims

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am starting to think the Astros are going to be too much for the other teams to handle in the playoffs. Too many pitching aces, too many hitters and sluggers. Never get over confident, but they look like the baseball version of the Patriots. Seriously, they are going to be a load come playoff time.

jcee15 and htownrox1 like this.
  14. SemisolidSnake

Well, I guess I wasn't wrong. It's just been so long since I watched the Simpsons that I forgot the exact scene. I grew up obsessed with the Simpsons, but it hasn't been good since a few years after that clip, and yet it's still going. Ironically, considering the clip posted, the Simpsons itself simply won't die when it really needs to.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

16. SemisolidSnake

I'd say if you could somehow scale the Astros to the Patriots or vice versa, you'd find that the Astros are stupidly more talented than the Patriots. I mean, the Patriots have Brady (and always will), but they're never bursting at the seam with superstars. The Astros have the two AL Cy Young candidates pitching 1 and 2, a guy contending for the battling title, an MVP candidate with a WAR just shy of Trout, the Rookie of the Year, and also Springer, Altuve, Yuli, and more. And a pretty great pen.

The difference, however, is that the Patriots play to win no matter who they field or who they're against, and they don't let up. If they're up 21 at the half, they make sure to win by 42. Belichick makes sure of it and extracts everything he can get from who he has. Model of consistency. The Astros are a crazy ride. They won 2-1 on Saturday behind JV. Then they scored 36 runs in the next two games. They'll destroy good teams and limp past bad teams. The talent is overwhelming, but the teamwide mentality of play to win every single time is not intensely there like it is with the Patriots. If the Patriots had the equivalent player wealth that the Astros have, you might as well just shut the NFL down.

But they're so much more fun to watch than the Patriots, and Hinch is brilliant in his own right. A healthy Astros team playing with another trophy completely on their mind is going to be unstoppable. But we can only breathe easily after the final out of the fourth World Series win. Such is the Astros. Such is baseball.

solid likes this.
  17. SemisolidSnake

That's awesome. I remember them talking about and showing those seats during the Astros HoF weekend. Now, they're probably in the up-and-coming Astros museum, I'm sure, so super cool for them to get hauled out to honor our manchild.

Can you imagine what Yordan would have done in the Dome?

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The Simpsons was the best show ever from 1990 until 2003 or so

Rodman23 and SemisolidSnake like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros are f**king 26-4 with double the runs against the AL basement dwellers and some people are still going with this stupid ass narrative that the Astros don't take poor opponents seriously.

Wulaw Horn and arkoe like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member