1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets interested in IGGY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Jul 1, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This was my first thought too. Vince just wants to play and mentor. Gotta appreciate that. It seems to be all for the love of the game.

3. vince

vince Member

Message is out, and It’s loud and clear, in the NBA and NFL, the star players run the deck of cards; they call the shots... Haven’t the Grizzlies heard about it!

Oh wait, you have to be a star... Andre Iggy isn’t a star any longer :(

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't matter. all memphis is doing is trying a last ditch effort to get something or as much for him. In no way does he fit the rebuilding status that they just began. He'll eventually get out of memphis one way or the other and having a guy in a locker room, who obviously doesn't have much interest in being there is 1 pretty bad thing to have for a young rebuilding team trying to establish a new culture

5. lionaire

lionaire Member

Some “just shut and up play” type fellas in here I see.

Iggy has earned his stripes in this league and he deserves to play wherever he chooses at this point in his career. I’m sure he’s not asking to be paid in full for the remainder of his deal but the fact that Memphis doesn’t even want to listen is unfair to him.

6. TilmanFinancialWindfall

He deserves nothing

csj and vince like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Iggy has made over $150,000,000 in his career..and continues to make millions.

He DESERVES notta.

csj and vince like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Nope.

He signed the contract knowing he could and at his age likely would be traded.

He is under contract making a lot of money with the Grizzlies.

This summer he wanted almost every damn penny from the Grizzlies AND wanted them to release him.

The Grizzlies tried to work something out and he wouldn't come off his demand and claimed he earned it.

He can retire if he wants to, or he can play for the Grizzlies or he can be realistic about a buy out.

I have ZERO sympathy for him in this situation.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I will agree. Or disagree. After the Ivy end-game.

10. vince

vince Member

I’m still flabbergasted that the players seem do dictate terms to management? Literally it seems that players get exactly what they want, where to go play, and an apology from the owners to boot....

SMH....

11. Nook

Nook Member

I can understand in certain situations.

This is not one of them. He was arrogant and expected basically ALL of his money AND to be let go so he could play somewhere else.

vince likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

I keep seeing people suggest that Iggy is refusing to report to training camp. I can't find any article suggesting that. All I see is that he wants a buyout and that's currently being denied. Anybody have a link states that Iggy is refusing to report to camp?

13. vince

vince Member

No it’s not like that. The “shut up and play”, is meant to trigger an emotion that ignores the following.

It’s more like, You signed a contract for umpteen millions of dollars. In the contract which was reviewed by your representatives and obviously filled with your input, you were advised by people who want to make you the most money, it was worth it to sign it. Plus there is a very powerful union with very capable representation that will make sure any rights were not trampled upon....

What has Igudola earned the Grizzlies? Why would they owe it to him to do him a favor? They traded a valuable asset to acquire his services or to optimize his trade value; Igudola is the one making it personal.

As a part of the contract, there was a stipulation that he could be traded, but he was being paid an amount that would compensate him well enough to accept that possibility.

He can choose to retire or not honor his contract. But this is not as simple as “shut up and play”.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They are asset collecting. Some contender may still give up an asset for him. He fits what they are trying to do just fine.

15. amaru

amaru Member

In terms of gathering assets he certainly fits in. But as a player, he doesn't. At 35 with alot of miles, he can't provide much on the court to help a rebuilding team.

16. vince

vince Member

But my apologies if Igudola is not being the arrogant jerk he’s been depicted.

But the Grizzlies have every right to maximize Iggys value for their franchise.

As y’all can tell a lot of us are still frustrated by the way Clowney and Dwayne Brown orchestrated their departure... and it seems it’s the new norm.

Nook likes this.
  17. arubato

arubato Member

Put Harden in the Greek National Team and they’ll get silver at worst.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  18. arubato

arubato Member

He knows when he signed the contract that he can get traded anywhere so no sympathy at all for Iggy.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Grizzlies are stupid to not trade him now as he has no value on their team.

That being said, if they wish to keep him, that's their prerogative and Iggy's gotta show up and do his job.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Iggy not Ivy. (And I was sober.)

don grahamleone likes this.