1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses? Jordan or Harden? Debate/Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses?

1. Harden

2. Jordan

3. Jordan faced tougher defenders

4. Jordan faced tougher defenses

5. Harden faced tougher defenders

6. Harden faced tougher defenses

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bmelo

bmelo Member

„Even melo” yet even Giannis, Jokic, Donivan Mitchell etc all look like **** in Fiba rn. Maybe Anthony wasnt as bad skillwise as you think

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Sure, but it doesnt make him the better offensive player, MJ was the better mid range shooter and slasher AND probably playmaking and shot creator.

Actually, Russ does have an argument about playmaking. Russ is actually one of the best passer's in the league. That being said you are still confusing playmaking with just passing, its not like that. Playmaking is about creating efficient scoring opportunities for others. Again, listen to Ben Taylor's podcast and look at what he uses, like Box creation and youd understand. Not to mention, Harden actually isnt that great of a passer in transition. Harden is probably a top 10 playmaker but when you check the numbers(Playoffs) MJ might be better. Will see where Harden is at the end of his career, but statistically MJ is better(if you like the way Ben Taylor presented his argument that is), MJ is better. And there you go again, comparing eras like that, you have to judge them on how they competed against their competition.

Per 100 in the playoffs so far.....

MJ 32.5 FGA and 12.8 FTs for 43.3 points which is 56.78 TS%

JH(in Houston) 26.7 FGA and 12.1 FTs for 36.5 point which 56.99 TS%

Okay whoops, my bad lol. Lol 7 more points a game for a career playoff average on the same efficiency(in an era that did not emphasize the three point line) blows him out of the water. It doesnt matter if he had more attempts, that's actually in his favor. If you can provide more points on the same efficiency, that's a lot better. So scoring wise, he is not on MJ's level AT ALL.

Lebron is, Harden is not. You are basing that off raw assists numbers and eye test, which isnt good enough for me

He still underperformed on the biggest stage with best teammates he's ever had. Dont think if you put MJ in his place that it would go down like that.

How? He led on the league in RPM that year. He had 40 10 with like little turnovers in an elimination games, there were games he out performed Harden. Dont tell me he wasnt elite. We won 65 games with him and almost took the Warriors with KD down. He was absolutely on Pippen's level. Cp's playmaking is on another level than Pippen's and his defense is also great too, I dont know how different it would have been, besides the injury thing which Harden did not help in game 5.

Okay then it should be pretty clear who the better player was offensively. Agreed there.

3. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Don't be stupid.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

everytime I see stuff like this can't help but think back to 40 year old manu ginobilli blocking harden on a game winner for the spurs to win series. That happened when the spurs was basically on the decline and before the spurs team broke up.

5. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

when you start over praising the defenders then you start sounding like a tony romo apologist! Are you a tony romo apologist!?

6. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

MJ was the better midrange shooter and slasher... He was not the better playmaker or anything else I mentioned... Your case and argument for that is less sufficient than mine it's simply referencing another man's view.... Harden has been a better playmaker than Russ going back to when they played on OKC and every season since... You seem to be relying on box creation as a stat which only tells you so much and admittedly by the creator a stat with some errors particularly when factoring in 3PT proficiency... The stat is “usage” — points (per 100) plus turnovers (per 100)...

It then breaks down the the guys who scored the most points per 100 along with assists per 100...

It doesn't say anything for a players technical ability as a passer or court vision... That is a huge aspect of what is commonly referred to as playmaking and its in no way taken into account through this metric.... It also doesn't tell you about that players decision making as a creator... We know that Russ is among the worst at that, but he's also high up a the top of the box creation list... That requires watching and understanding what each players proficient at while handling the ball... And yeah those aspects of the era matter also... It's

Top all time seasons in this stat are Russ, Harden, Nash, Stockton, Curry, Magic, and CP3.... So the case can be said even with this stat Harden is a better playmaker than MJ, but I've also told you how that's limited.

I was using per game, but it comes out to my same point... That's over 6 more points on almost 6 more shots... You're assuming Harden's efficiency wouldn't be maintained with the extra attempts when he's notorious for doing just that... Especially when we know he's more proficient and more likely to have 3s.... Yeah and an era that also didn't defend the 3pt line as nearly as much.

No Harden is... Off assist numbers, eye test, and even that box creation stat.

Yeah you mean the games that the best teammate missed? Or the one in which they both shot awful and won a grind out defensive game?

I didn't say he wasn't elite... I said he wasn't as good as Pippen... His playmaking is superior, but his scoring, rebounding, defense, etc isn't and Pippen was also a very good playmaker in his own right.... I remember that game and it's funny how the narrative is crafted... Both guys shot terrible that game... We don't win that game without Harden just as we don't without CP... Harden had clutch plays getting to the line multiple times down the floor late and making FTs.. We lose without it... Yeah CP had the shimmy 3, but he was bricking a lot of the night as well.

Yeah and it's still Harden.

#126 Air Canada, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    fckbandwagons likes this.
  7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Are you a shitty poster? Yep

8. riko

riko Member

Harden is another level then Russ and CP as a player so anyone trying to make an argument on that front is downright delusional. Harden is a far better playmaker then Russ especially in the half court sets and a far better overall player then Paul.However when you factor Jordan into the equation then no. MJ is the GOAT.

9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Don't be ignorant.

You posted the equivalent of a dramatized 30 for 30 clip of a few "hard fouls" on MJ from a sports doc clip.

I could easily post a clip from this past playoffs of Harden taking harder fouls against the Warriors with dramatic music lol....

Look at least at half as much of the plays between the Bulls and Pistons as I did(hundreds) and not post dumb ish like this... That Pistons team isn't even the best defensive Pistons team... 04 Pistons were a better defensive team easily... This romanticizing of 90s defense is hilarious... It absolutely wasn't even better than the Warriors defense of this era or the last few years.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Exactly Euro is much easier than the NBA.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You have to look at who he's passing to. Harden didnt have the teammates Jordan did. This is a team that made it to the second round without Jordan. Not one of Hardens teams would have ever done that. Last years team wouldnt even have made the playoffs.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes he was. Why is my agrument less sufficient? Because im relying on stats and the correct definition of playmaking while you are using raw assists,eye tests(lol) numbers and not comparing what the players did relative to their era. Ben Taylor is one of the best basketball mind in the game today. He's done more research on ball than you or I ever have. He uses stats and film to make his analysis. I've always thought that Harden was better, but when I listened to his podcast and watched his video on Russ, it's not necessarily the case that Harden is a better playmaker. No stat is perfect, but it's much muuuch better than relying on your eye tests or raw assists numbers.

No, that's a misunderstanding. Playmaking is not purely passing ability or else I would have agreed with you. I'll say it again PLAYMAKING IS CREATING EFFICIENT SCORING OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUR TEAMMATES. And honestly who cares if that model doesnt tell you how well you their "technical ability" thats not what we are measuring. Decision making while important, is far far less important than the VALUE you create by giving your teammates scoring opportunities.

Yea Harden is amazing for box creation in the REGULAR SEASON. His playmaking dips heavily in the playoffs That's what he was taking into account in his podcast, he made a point to note about Harden to take into account the discrepancy he has between the Regular Season and the Post Season. Not to mention, his model also is using "relative box creation" so that they take into account how well they played relative to their era. That's how you should be comparing players to begin with.

Does it matter? He provided more points on the same efficiency, it doesnt matter what he "could have" done. It probably would not, we've seen Harden dip considerably(still really good though) in the post season while MJ raised his level. In the regular season Harden was notorious for that, but in the POs you cant say for sure that's true, in fact we have more evidence to the contrary. And once again, you have to compare players relative to their era.

Raw assists numbers and eye tests arent good enough and in the playoffs tell a different story with the box creation stat for Harden.

Im talking about KD and Westbrook(collectively of course, I think peak Cp is better than Russ).

Yea you didnt, my bad. He was though. I think scoring wise, Cp is better than Pippen, we can agree to disagree there. As for rebouding and defense I would agree. But I dont think Pippen could run a high level offense like Cp could. I also think Cp's defensive impact is underrated. Harden shot absolutely awful the whole game, Cp was amazing in the second half of that game. Harden is the best player, there was more responsibility on him to perform....or at least shoot much better than he did. If he performed to even his average, CP might not have gotten hurt.

Disagree, I think its definitely MJ.

13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that i think younger fans forget is that us old heads actually watched both eras that you refer to. Nothing is wrong with my memory or my eyes.

I hate this debate because as a die hard Rockets fan I love Harden. I hate to have to argue against him in particular, so let me try this approach.

Jordan was drafted in what i think you may consider to be the dark ages. players didn't seem as fast or athletic as some of the younger players you see today. So i will concede that not everyone from that era could survive in this era. But there were and have always been exceptions.

Jordan was 6'6 with a 48 inch vertical. When Andrew Wiggins was drafted he had the highest recorded vertical at i believe 43.5 inches. Zion's vertical is 46 inches. So at 6'6, when you look at the quickness of his first step, in in-air acrobatics ect, he would still be the most athletic player in the NBA today. So the whole notion that he would not be able to score or get his shot off off in today's NBA is laughable.

I have had this argument with my son's AAU coach on several occasions. He tells me that Jordan, Dream, even Shaq would barely make all star teams now, which i think is insane.

If Jordan, Shaq, or Dream were all 19-20 years old in 2019 they would all be the hands down #1 pick even today. Would you draft Zion over Jordan?

How about Ayton,Fultz, Ben Simmons, KAT, Wiggins or our very own Anthony Bennett? Those are the last 7 #1 overall picks, and I have to tell you that that no GM in their right mind would Draft any of the those guys over the previous 3 that i listed much less MJ.

Marc Gasol has never been a great athlete, but a few years ago he was considered to be the best defensive big in the NBA. He does not have half of the raw athleticism, quickness, speed or instincts that Dream had but he can still dominate defensively, even in this new NBA. If Gasol played in the 80's or 90's and you saw him on YouTube I guarantee you that you would think he was too slow and non athletic to play today. I could apply the same logic to players like CP, who i am certain that had he have played in the 80's you would said he was to small and didn't jump high enough. You would say that a pg that small could never be first team all defense in the new more highly skilled NBA.

I wonder what you would think of PJ a 6'5 PF who cant jump. Imagine if he played in the 80's or 90's. You would laugh if someone told you that he could be a starter and be effective in 2019. All of this new length and athleticism but smaller, non athletic guys can still dominate.

Some freaks of nature translate to any era. In football Deion Sanders ran close to a 4.2 flat in the 40 yard dash. Bo Jackson was nearly 240 pounds of solid muscle and ran a 4.1 40. No prospect coming out now into the NFL draft compares to those 2 players in terms of both speed and skill. Randy Moss ran a 4.2 at 6'4. They would still be the best at there positions even today, mainly because even though we are 30 years removed from that era, we still don't find talents that special even in this new era. Saquon Barkley is a freak of nature now and he still would be 30 years from now.

Again not everyone from that era could play now, but the special ones could.

in 25-30 year's you will have some young folks telling you that there is no way that Lebron, Harden, Curry, KD ect would never ever survive or get buckets in the "new era". They will have done there YouTube research just as you have. Having actually watched these guys play yourself, I wonder if you will be so quick to dismiss the greats of this era.

On a side note, please watch the Jordan come fly with documentary. It was Jordan before the rings ( i think it came out in 89' or 90'). Watch that and tell me one player in the NBA today who even comes close to that (physically).

#133 BaselineFade, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    MVP4THREE and HP3 like this.
  14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You can go further.... None of Harden's teams w
    I'd go further... None of these Harden teams would've made the playoffs without him.... From 2012 to 2019

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Correct definition... There in lies your problem... That stat isn't what the term playmaking has historically been in reference too... Its a fairly recent stat trying to quantify certain aspects of playmaking... It absolutely ignores the things I mentioned which has been an integral aspect of what playmaking has meant well before "box creation" was a stat.... Also it doesn't assess other things that can be argued as playmaking if those included are worth putting into account.

He's heavily reliant on his stat when making his analysis and I've mentioned the issues with that.... No its not just imperfect its incomplete.... Harden is absolutely a better playmaker than Russ.

Given the defense and how they defended the perimeter at a lower level is a benefit to Harden... How they're forced to not play zone and how that was beneficial to proficient iso scorers is another aspect... The difference in eras and why I think the defenses weren't as tough back then is a fundamental aspect that can't be ignored... That's something we just won't agree on and it affects the whole argument in relation to the stats and efficiency playoffs or otherwise.... Not to mention MJ having better teams and imo weaker competition.

Passing ability is an integral aspect of playmaking because it's not just if you can pass, or if you can pass efficiently, but how versatile of a passer you are... It's not just creating efficient scoring for your team, but who can create efficient scoring in the most variety of ways... If you're an excellent pocket passer that makes you more dangerous in the PnR and if you have a quality roll man it makes them better.... If you're an excellent skip passer you can punish teams on the perimeter quickly if they cheat off your teammate... I can go on with different aspects, but you should get what I mean... That's not quantifiable through box creation... Creating efficient scoring opportunities for your team is yes an important aspect of playmaking... Not fully quantified with box creation though either, but this is all that box creation even attempts to address... Decision making is also important and is not measurable through this stat... You're relying on this to solely determine whose a better playmaker when it ignores so much.

I can mention other things that can "create efficient scoring opportunities for teammates" and it's not typically considered playmaking nor is it even accounted for in box creation... Harden has led the league in FTA for many years consecutively... He draws more fouls than any other perimeter player in the game by far... You see how this could get opponents in foul trouble and or get your team in the bonus more and get FTs for your teammates... I'm sure they could make a stat tracking which players get their teams in the bonus the most and lead to the most bonus FTs for their teammates in the league.... Would we call that playmaking? Given your definition.... Yes.

Harden has led the league in 3s multiple years... I'm sure they could find a stat or tracking data to measure how that helps space the floor and puts pressure on defenses beyond the arc opening lanes for his teammates with his gravity.... Could we call that playmaking? Given your definition... Yes... Also not tracked through box creation.

Everything I mentioned here Harden does much better than Russ and MJ too without even going into box creation... And I think you got my point on playmaking now.

Blaming Harden for CP getting hurt is silly... Or even hinting at it.. It could've happened on any play.. It's Chris Paul... They both shot awful if we're being honest... Harden was actually a strong plus for the game over CP although that doesn't tell the full story.. Harden's most crucial minutes were in the 4th right at the 8 min mark onward which helped us win that game.... It was a defensive battle... Multiple Warriors didn't shoot well either.

Well I disagree because I still think Harden is the better playmaker, 3pt shooter, FT shooter, and ball handler.... And thus a better offensive player than MJ.

fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Harden might be as good as left handed Jordan

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

That left hand would never work in today's game. Those moves and finishes only worked because he didn't have to play against anybody;).

Every team in today's NBA has guards who can do that. Don't you realize that some of those highlights are over 30 years old? It doesn't matter unless he can do that against today's top level defenders.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

He has other things he uses to judge people's passing like shot's created and passer rating, it's not like he doesnt think about those things. And the fact is Harden's playmaking does take a hit in the playoffs. It may not be perfect but it is a stronger than anything you have presented. Also the quality of shots you create for your teammates should absolutely be the top priority in judging a playmaker, how could it not be? You can talk about court vision and those things are important but at the end of the day I think his stat prioritizes the most important aspect by far.

Again, you are comparing eras and not comparing what the players did relative to their competition. It's not like Jordon was out here playing a bunch of bums. There are different rules and the way the game was played was different, so what you are doing doesnt make sense.

Yea, of course passing is important. But passing is different than playmaking. I get what you mean and Im not saying its perfect, but I just dont know how it isnt the MOST important thing. That's the goal here, right? That's what makes you win more. The more you can carve up the defense to get good looks for your guys, than the better your chances are at winning. I think it's pretty difficult to ignore. And it's not like you've taken a look at MJ's full arsenal of passes because you've simply just watched more of Harden, so there is a heavy bias there. And the most important thing is that you havent given me any stronger evidence than what has been provided. Im not trying to be a dick, I just think that while his stat isnt perfect, I think it gives a pretty good idea of who was a better playmaker.

Alright, I this FT thing is a bit stretch here, but I mean if we are gonna go there, it's not like MJ didnt get FTs either, know what I mean.

Couldnt you do the same for MJ, MJ even moved more off the ball than Harden did, so defenses had to account for that. Harden takes the majority of them off the dribble. But lets be real here, both MJ and Harden both did the majority of their damage with the rock in their hands, its not like we are comparing them to Steph Curry(who also has an argument as one of the better play makers in NBA history(not as good as Harden imo but he is elite).

By what metric??? You're eye test....raw assists numbers? Here we are again man. We are just gonna go in circles.

Plus minus for one game, doesnt mean a whole lot to me. And I know what happend, Im not saying it's his fault Cp got injured. But had Harden played average game(might be unfair but he is the undisputed best player on the team) than we win that game comfortably and we have Cp for at least one more game. He shot 1-11 from 3 man, that's really bad. Honestly I hate doing this, cause I also hate arguing against Harden. I know he has it in him to give us an amazing PO runs.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just disagree on the playmaking and better offensive player part.

Air Canada likes this.
  19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Something is up with your immediate memory then because most of this post was an argument with yourself against things not even close to what has been said or the topic.

You're already missing the point.. No one said there aren't exceptions or great players who would be great across both eras.

LOL yeah this is pointless, but you're proving my point about old heads romanticizing the past... You want to believe that so you don't even doubt it, but it's nonsense.... You also contradicted it when you mentioned Wiggins... There aren't any real or official measurements of MJ doing a 48' inch vert period... This is a part of the Jordan mystique... Just as Wilt's alleged 48 vert... It never happened... MJ absolutely didn't have a higher vert than Vince and other guys.. MJ had a 40-42 inch max vert as best we can tell from any in clip with the most favorable of angles.

He would be an elite athlete today... The most athletic player maybe, but athleticism is more than vert and acrobatics, but we definitely have plenty of those.

Yeah it's insane and a silly argument no one is making here...

Yeah they would be and you could say that for multiple players in the league right now too.

You're spending a lot of time arguing something irrelevant... You need to focus your attention on the role players of back then, average players, and some of the less heralded stars that had great or prolific seasons... You need to talk about the perimeter defenders specifically.. That's the point.

You're doing this again.... There's different forms of athleticism... And whats required to be a great big man defender/interior rim protector is different.... Gasol in his prime was quick laterally for his size, strong, and a very smart defender.

Obviously he's not Dream, but you're conflating multiple things.

Wrong again because it's not just about athleticism.. It's also skill...prime CP or even current CP is vastly more skilled than most of the PGs of that era.

Nonsense I'd laugh because he most definitely could play in that era and be effective cuz he could shoot the 3 unlike many from that time and was still elite as a defender... He'd be an even greater role player then than he is NOW....

Maybe you don't know this either, but the Bo Jackson 4.1 is a lie as well... Another in the line of mythological verts and 40 times of the past.

No one's disputing that.

Except this is nonsense because I'm not even doing that NOW with MJ and other some other greats...

Seen it lol

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

MJ was tested at 45.76" vertical at UNC in 83