1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offensive Line will be the key to this gamble...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vince, Sep 2, 2019.

1. vince

vince Member

I’m looking at the Texans and the one thing that is vastly changed is the OL. There is a lot of talent infused into the group, and by the look of things, the team better keep its fingers crossed they got the right group; because there isn’t much in premier reinforcements next year if there are any glaring holes.

Tunsil is a young guy who has already had NFL success and is trending up, Howard is our 1st round pick, Max Scharping is a 2nd rounder with the 55 pick in the draft; the talent is on the roster, which trumps last seasons dreadful OL group. If Tunsil and Howard can stabilize the left side of the OL, the unit will improve by leaps and bounds!! Imagine Watson carving up opposing defenses like a sushi master chef...

A team with a good OL can give mediocre QB’s the look of a fringe pro-bowler. With a Franchise QB, you can send out a juggernaut vibe feel. However, you’ve got to give them 4 games to get the feel for each other, and keep your fingers crossed they are at least 2-2. The sooner the group gels, the more we will know if the bet the Texans did is promising, or whether we will be walking around with paper bags for the next half decade...

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  2. Texanstradamus

I’m expecting a top 15 O-line we have went all in on O-line

vince likes this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

The offense has the potential to beat most teams in a shootout. Depends on how well the offensive line performs, but also on play calling.

I'm really hoping Carl Smith can help Watson and the offense as much as he did in Seattle with Russell Wilson.

Texanstradamus likes this.
  4. vince

vince Member

I think on talent alone, it’s a top 15 O-Line too. If they can gel and synchronize, we are talking top 8... Plus it’s a young OL, which should be the foundation for The next decade if all goes well. But of course it’s the NFL where nothing is guaranteed until you earn it.

5. Texanstradamus

Tunsil Howard Fulton scharping Henderson please !

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm more worried about our mediocre cornerbacks getting eaten alive when we face the QBs we have on our schedule this year.

red5rocket, juanm34 and DatRocketFan like this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

So two rooks, a guy who played guard on the abysmal line here last year, an oft-injured meh veteran tackle, and a top-10 pass blocking tackle on the rise. It should be better than last year, and that is the line I'd like to see come Game 1, but I think we might want to slow our roll with projecting them to be a top quarter of the NFL O Line. Be a lot cooler if they were though.

Tunsil was a stud on Miami's line last year, and they were still overall an abysmal unit. He can't play everywhere.

vince likes this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Exactly in all the flurry of trades, u figured BoB would focused on trying to extract a competent CB via Clowney trade..... Garbage GM

conquistador#11 and juanm34 like this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah we added one guy to a terrible line. It's better but it still sucks. Miami's OL was the worst last year even with Tunsil.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Well no, they added four guys to a terrible line. Scharping's been impressing people like Lance Zierlein. Howard is doing ok for a rookie at guard, if wildly overdrafted. I'm interested in seeing if Henderson will be competent---I think he'll at least be better than Kendall Lamm, LOL---and Fulton looks better than Martin. So they added more than just Tunsil.

I think it can be gel and be adequate. Adequate would be a considerable improvement.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's a gamble and it can definitely succeed but the problem is that even a great outcome from these trades is something along the lines of hosting and beating the Chargers in the WC round before getting destroyed by one of the Chiefs/Patriots in round 2.

12. vince

vince Member

Reality is that quality Offensive Linemen aren’t usually available, not even in lopsided trades. The Tunsil trade was eye popping (albeit a lopsided trade), but for me it was certainly unexpected. Glad the Texans were persistent.

Teams have to build OL’s, and the Texans have some good talent. They added 3 young pieces that would be valuable linemen for the vast majority of NFL teams. It doesn’t mean they will gel, but at least they have natural talent and something to build on.

However If this O-Line doesn’t work out, it’s going to be ugly...

#12 vince, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  13. 1234567

1234567 Member

the line of the future will be Tunsil Fulton Martin Scharping Howard. This should be pretty good. Better be as they will not be able to draft any OL of consequence next 2 years. OL and DL is the base and OL is OK now if not great. QB and weapons are excellent. DL lost a little BUT, big BUT, JC did stuff that makes video and would have been nice to have this year. (He burn/they burn all bridges so he wasn't got to play this year for Texans).
    Sounds like Texans should have may have just wanted JC to play on tag for a year but that went out the window when JC found out Texans wanted to trade him. Should have trades him BEFORE draft but that wasn't done. Could have been major reason B G was fired and no GM. Then you get this mess of a trade for JC. Seattle got a steal but can back fire if JC flops/injured as they promised not to Tag him next year.

Let's hope it was worth it to drop him, much like dropping that QB from Denver... (Cannot mention his name, will throw up if I did)....

vince likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

I am super excited about seeing this Offensive Line grow into a cohesive unit! When teams get the right group the OL will stick together for 3-5 years..

But its going to take a bit of patience, maybe a half season to see if they are gonna grow into something special. Keep those fingers crossed...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the truth is this team can go 4-12 just as easily as 12-4... cause we really have no clue.

Of course there are a lot of teams you can say that about. And even today, are the Ravens really good?? Or the Dolphins just horrendous, or both? Is Dak all of a sudden really worth top 2 QB money?? Etc, etc.

That's the great thing about football as a whole... except you still have the evil Darth Brady and Darth Bellicheck ruining that parity fun.

The o-line is the same as for the team as a whole. It may come together and gel. Or it may just be Tunsil plus a bunch of crap. I don't know... if I was forced to put money on where I'd rank them at the end of the year, I guess I'd say 17ish??

16. Nook

Nook Member

Well we spent a total of 3 X1's..... 2 X 2's.... and more.

When you pour 5 picks in the top 2 rounds into the offensive line, you better have a good offensive line.... especially when you do it all in a 4-5 month span.

There are only 5 spots on the offensive line...... that means theoretically every single position on the Texans starting line could be a #1 or #2 draft pick.

Yet we are hoping for a top 15 line.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It's indeed up in the air. The betting public doesn't even know what to think of the Texans as it's dropped from Saints -9 to -7 and still dropping.

A couple things I've started to think about is the tough schedule everyone talked about a few months back, when in reality, it's looking a little easier. There are key injuries in the first 9 weeks of the season for our opponents and this could bode well for us. Adding to that, Watson having an extra second in the pocket could feasibly elevate him to another level. I'm very interested in seeing how the O-Line has meshed, albeit, so little time.

If we win tonight, buckle up.

18. vince

vince Member

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-offensive-linemen-rankings

According to this, Tunsil comes in as the top 11 Tackle in the league. Matin comes in at number 20. It’s an older article, from June 2019 but it does still ring relevant.

Oh I didn’t realize Tunsil was drafted #13 in the first round. I can see why the Miami fans are furious with the trade.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Texans conditioned most of their fans to b excited for even an average mediocre oline.

Nook likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Texans fans are excited about an improved offensive line.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on the Texans but we did the text book definition of "addressing" the offensive line this summer.