1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now predict playoff roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hemingway, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

He also hit .266 and struck out in 22% of his PAs in AAA.

2. Jeremy Williams

Glass is half empty?

3. Buck Turgidson

No, just calling it like I see it. Jack Mayfield has a better BA/SLG than Tucker did. OBP was .003 lower.

4. Jeremy Williams

Mayfield also does not start over Reddick in RF, has no where near the talent as Tucker, and doesn’t have the power/speed that could be a major asset in the playoffs.

Drink some of the half full beverage. It will make you feel better.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

BA and K Rate isn't bad for a guy with that many homers. He had 2 incredibly bad weeks that make a very good season look merely above average.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker has more homers and likely isn't being helped as much by parks with dragless ball. Tucker's stats suggests he would hit better than Reddick.

7. Buck Turgidson

I hope either Tucker makes it a really tough decision for Hinch/Luhnow or Reddick renders the question moot over the next month.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Tucker has much time. Astros have to have a good idea he can hit RHP in MLB, and only looking for warm fuzzies for September if Tucker makes playoff roster. I expect Tucker doesn't make it to playoff roster even though I think he's probably the 9th best hitter in the organization just behind Diaz.

I don't expect Hinch to be comfortable with Tucker until he sees Tucker hit MLB pitching. With how Astros have talked, Tucker won't get much of a chance this season to do that unless he hits some homers as a PH in the next week.

#48 Joe Joe, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Yordan could use a couple of days off, let Brantley DH...

And I'm not as down on Tucker as I think it's coming across, I think he's eventually going to hit, and hit well, in MLB he's just got some adjustments to make. Something to look forward to next year.

#49 Buck Turgidson, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros could do that. Hinch has said Tucker is up just to fill in, and If he does that well, they may give him more ABs. Whatever Tucker gets in the next week or so, he needs to be lights out to give himself regular ABs.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Jeremy Williams

Well, the Springer concussion certainly opens a door of opportunity for more ABs.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm enjoying the mental picture of Verlander reacting to seeing the OF of Brantley, Reddick, and Tucker for one of his starts.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I doubt both Reddick and Tucker plays the day he pitches...

#54 Htown Stros, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  15. Jeremy Williams

Jake day?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Current hope:

CF Springer
    2B Altuve
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    RF Tucker
    C Maldonado

Bench: Chirinos, Diaz, Marisnick, Straw
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Miley
    Bullpen: Osuna, Pressly, Harris, Smith, Rondon, James, Peacock, Abreu

Then, for the offseason:
    Out: Chirinos, Maldonado, Cole, Miley, Harris, Smith, Rondon
    In: TBD undervalued C x2, McCullers, TBD undervalued pitcher x2, Biagini, Devenski, Sanchez

#56 Snake Diggit, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Nook and CrazyJoeDavola like this.
  17. Jeremy Williams

I think it would be an important task to keep both Maldonado and Chirinos. Pitcher/catcher relationships are critical, and both of ours are worth the cost to our staff.

I expect Devo to be shopped. It would be great to bring back Harris. It would be unbelievable to keep Cole.

Reddick will be dealt.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You seriously want Maldonado starting over Chirinos? He's had a nice spurt, but he is a bad hitter.

I agree on Tucker. I'm not ready to say he's truly arrived just yet, but I already feel much better than I do about Reddick, who's been a corpse for most of the season. Don't think that's something the team is even considering though.

19. Jeremy Williams

I also don’t believe that Hinch will actually sit Reddick in the playoffs for Tucker. It will be important to see if Tucker continues to get starts, or if he’s only being used to give players rest.

As for Maldonado and Chirinos, I believe Verlander and Cole will be paired with Chirinos, and Greinke and Miley will be paired with Maldonado.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree Tucker won’t play before Reddick in these playoffs, but I hope he does, as I think he’s the better player.

I think controlling the running game in the playoffs is more important and the difference in offense isn’t huge. That plus the depth of the lineup makes me want Maldonado to be the primary catcher in the playoffs.

Keeping both catchers might be feasible, but Houston might be very limited financially. If both guys will take deals <$5M/1yr, then I’d be all for it. But I also like the idea of keeping Maldonado and adding a lefty bat-first catcher like Alex Avila, Omar Narvaez, or Jason Castro.