1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Kent Emanuel had a great line for RR last night: 6.1 ip, 2 er, 10 k

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have a scouting report on him? TIA

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

3rd rd pick from UNC in 2013. LHP with good size. Command over velocity. 4 pitches. Sits 90-92 with his FB (last I saw). Curveball, Slider, Changeup all around average (last I saw). Mark Buerhle ultimate ceiling (comp stolen from article written after he was drafted but still works). Likely to see at least some time in the majors, if not with Houston then with another team.

Doesn’t have the k rate of typical Astros prospects. He’s already 27. But he was one of the best pitchers on Round Rocks staff this season and has been excellent over the last 2 months. That has made his Rule 5 case much more interesting, and I would not be surprised at all if he were added to the 40 man in November or taken by a team like Baltimore. Either way he appears likely to make his mlb debut next season but still probably profiles as a AAAA pitcher like a lefty Brady Rodgers.

bigdaddy and Zacatecas like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Year in Review: Catchers

5. Buck Turgidson

It's a shame he's been a complete disaster every time they try him in the bullpen.

Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Also, Whitley will start Game 5 of the RR-Iowa series if needed.

vince, No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe "opener" would suit him better?

snowconeman22 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Will he have more walks or strikeouts in game 5?

Over/under for wild pitches/passed balls 1.5?

Over/under mound visits 1.5?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah, looks like his only path is as a BoR starter on a bad team or a AAAA fill-in innings eater for a good team. I could see him being a good opener as mentioned above.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Miguelangel Sierra homered in the first game of Fayetteville's playoff doubleheader yesterday... or so he thought.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looked like he touched it to me and if he didn’t it was awful close. Chickenshit move by the pitcher and the ump. I found it odd that both 2B ump and HP ump had their eyes glued on the bases as Sierra ran. If he had missed bases earlier or been warned, that changes things, but otherwise gmafb.

It’s too bad Sierra strikes out so much. He’s a nice looking prospect. Easy power in a pretty swing from an athletic looking kid.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I always pay special attention to lineups in minor league playoff games. It’s the only time the managers are playing to win instead of develop. I take it as a good sign that Kessinger and Stubbs have been at the top of the lineup for QC this series, and not a good sign that Nova hasn’t played.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jose Alberto Rivera vs. Cedar Rapids last night: 5 IP, 4 H, ER, BB, 13 K

After a slow start to his 2019, which began in extended spring training, Rivera finishes his season by setting a new career-high in strikeouts. He'll probably vie for a rotation spot in Fayetteville next year.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

The health of the farm system from 2020 - 2026 is going to be huge. It'll determine whether we can be a constant contender through the mid-years and tail end of this decade. I really hope we can mimic the Braves and Cardinals, who were a postseason constants for the better part of two straight decades.

I think all of us are ecstatic to put "our money" on Luhnow. His resume for finding MLB-quality talent is evident (if not the best in the biz). I think our worst nightmare realized would be that the recent FO exodus substantially erodes the pipeline of legitimate in-house talent. I think (read: hope) Luhnow can survive the purge. Alvarez, Tucker, and Whitley panning out would be really nice and act as a nice bridge as we inevitably lose players/watch them decline. Fans are rightfully stuck in the battle for 2019 and 2020...but the fight for 2025 and beyond is happening as well. ILWT (In Luhnow We Trust)

snowconeman22, moonsh0t and vince like this.
  15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Looks like Forest Whitley will be starting a do or die playoff game 5 for Round Rock today. Should be interesting.

Snake Diggit, No Worries and raj87 like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Inconsistent Whitley again. Dominance and wildness in his 4 IP. RR explodes for 7 in the 3rd and just tacked on more to make it 9-4, top 6

eta: 10-5 final. RR wins the series 3-2

Fayetville just scored 4 in the 7th to take a 5-1 lead in their Game 5

#2736 Buck Turgidson, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    vince and No Worries like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Peckers, Express in the finals. Hope it isn't an early climax.

No Worries likes this.
  18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

As long as JL is here I trust him to keep finding and hiring the next Stearns/Elias/Sig, etc.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Year In Review, First Basemen: