1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

NSFW, bad brit language:

pirc1 and KingCheetah like this.
  2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I think at this point, they'll try to filibuster and stall in the House of Lords in order to run out the clock until parliament is prorogued. They've already started to stack the House of Lords to facilitate this. Granted, the bill can be raised again once parliament returns so as long as the opposition votes against a general election, the Tories look like they are stuck.

I think we should all take a moment to acknowledge how insane it is that the government is voting to call a general election and the opposition is voting against one (or at least abstaining which has the same effect). What a bizarre time we live in.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. malakas

malakas Member

The filibuster has finally ended after 10 hours.
    A complete farce.

I keep saying bad things about the british political system but when I see elderly retired politicians coming to parliament with night gear prepared to spend 3 days taking turns to vote against useless things, then do you blame me?

What a waste of time and effort.
    Is this democracy?

Not to mention that the voters themselves, the Lords aren't even elected, some of othem are bishops!! or have hereditary positions! but yet have a say in what happens in the country.
    Honestly how the heck was the british parliament supposed to be the example to follow around the world? Maybe if we were still in the time of the AustrioHungarian empire and Meternich.
    But now they are a joke.

B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This whole Boris Johnson and Brexit thingy has worked really well... been smooth sailing.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This dude is almost as bad as our own mistake-in-chief.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Reminds me of this:

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Johnson was right to tell the lords to stand down, make MPs defend their extension vote in a general election.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson today said he would rather be "Dead in a ditch" than to go grovelling to the EU asking for an extension.

BORIS Johnson said he would rather be "dead in a ditch" than grovel to Brussels for an extension to Brexit.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday said he would rather be "dead in a ditch" than ask the EU for an extension to the October 31 Brexit deadline. When pressed on if he would resign rather than ask for an extension, the leader avoided the question, reiterating his call to "get Brexit done".

He made the comments during an address as he visited a police training centre in West Yorkshire.
    The speech was the kick-off to what is in effect an election campaign.

Johnson referred to MPs' defiant moves on Wednesday as a vote "to scupper the government's negotiating power".​

Of course Johnson is right, the opposition is opposing Brexit and as a result, were quite happy to undermine the Prime Minister's negotiating position, because they are actually the ones who want no deal, as that would mean Brexit was achieved. They are obviously opposed that.

And it appears that if Johnson is still in power on October 31 that he is likely to use his vote on the EU Counsel to veto any extension request, and that will only be necessary if someone else somehow submits the extension request.

13. malakas

malakas Member

It gets worse and worse.
    I was surprised that Johnson made Johnson a minister.
    Jo Johnson was always moderate and even a remainer so apart from being brothers he had no job being a part of an extremist government.
    This was always bound to happen sooner or later but it happened too soon and at the worst moment.

The most idiotic thing I have read in a while.

biff17 likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude?

Didn't you claim multiple times this was a done deal?

What happened?

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Feel free to either quote where I said that or apologize for mis-characterizing my comments.

16. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

The biggest difference is that Boris Johnson is oddly endearing, kind of like that blind, abused cat with mange that comes to your back door several times a week. While you will throw some bologna out the door, you don't want him inside your home.

RayRay10, malakas, Rashmon and 2 others like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL. I love demanded apologies. If he finds evidence that you in fact posted "done deal," can he demand that you apologize for demanding an apology? But anyway, you did seem fairly confident in how Johnson had this well in hand. It doesn't look that way from the outside.

I mean, I think he'll still succeed in driving the UK into the ditch with him, but it won't be a straightforward path. There will be lots of yelling and swerving and swearing.

18. Nook

Nook Member

malakas likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

B-Bob and Nook like this.
  20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I have stated repeatedly lately that shenanigans by Speaker of Parliament John Bercow were a real threat here and everyone needed to watch out for that. And of course that is exactly what happened. The agenda of Parliament is supposedly controlled by the government, which is controlled by Boris Johnson. Unless you have a partisan Remainer as Speaker, then that goes out the window. Which thanks to him, it did.

In any case, I basically agree that the odds are that a real Brexit is achieved, whether with or without a deal, I do not know. But I hope with. It has not and will not be a straightforward path. Both sides - the Leavers and the Remainers - are as maximally all-in on this issue as they can possibly be. All of this talk of "no deal" is a thinly veiled attempt to deflect attention from the fact that they are trying to derail and block Brexit. But surely there will have to be an election soon.