1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 FIBA World Cup in China thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

every international tournament that we play in there are always these rules that our players have to quickly learn and get used to. why can't fiba just follow nba rules? afterall we invented basketball while in canada.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

hakeem94, D-rock and RocketsFido like this.
  3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

mang don't forget about game 6 in 2018. 0 for what!? 22 shots!? The regular season game in april let me know that warriors was ready to throttle Houston!?

Giannis struggled playing zone for Greece. I think they play zone because Greece has aging players on its national team. Giannis dominated in playoffs way more than did james "bad news" harden!

4. malakas

malakas Member

Nah it's fine. We even almost won by the most stupid foul I have seen in years which would be unfair.

Giannis has never been very good in Fiba, the court is smaller, the rules allow a center to camp under the basket and there is much more beating.

And the worse part is that Greece has never ever had good shooters. We simply don't teach shooting to the kids.

There is no point in attracting double and triple teams when there are bricklayers "spreading" the floor.
    I dont think that Giannis played bad, and that Greece was any kind of favourite in the first place anyway.

I have seen much worse and dissapointing perfomances in the past by the NT this is nothing.

Vivi, hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. WestendMassive

The unnatural media-driven push for Giannis to become last year's MVP has ruined any enjoyment I used to get from watching him play. I have no desire to watch Greece in this world cup because of all of his undeserved hype - he's talked about like the second coming of Jordan when in reality he's a ridiculously athletic phenom with a lot of unrealised potential and no jumpshot to speak of.

And it's all just because the national media couldn't stomach Harden being MVP again, largely because he draws fouls. Notwithstanding that he draws fouls at a rate similar to any top flight SG with a usage rate as high as his, the collective media just doesn't like his "style", so he can't be considered in 2019-20 either. Nothing to do with results on the court or Harden's performance, it's all about style. Weak.

6. WestendMassive

No, he didn't. In fact, Giannis was below average in all aspects when the Bucks got closed out. Should start calling him a choker

RocketsFido and arabrocket like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

bucks lost because of Bledsoe. oh I mean "broke-toe" is what they need to start calling eric Bledsoe. when Bledsoe wasn't blowing the game, Giannis was dominating and doing his thing.

Can't say that Harden dominated anything besides a couple of games against Utah jazz!

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol Giannis "dominated" by scoring 25.5 pts a game

9. WestendMassive

Did you even watch the Rockets in the playoffs? Harden shot below average against Utah but clearly lifted his game against GSW - he was much better in that series than in the first round against the Jazz.

Against GSW: 41, 9 and 6 in game 3, 38, 10 and 4 in game 4, both wins. How is that not dominance?

hakeem94, RocketsFido and arabrocket like this.
  10. Normalus

Normalus Member

It's FIBA Wolrd Cup thread, isn't it?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Varejao was beasting that game and his superstar skill, flopping, was on full display that game. Was amazing how many times he'd hit the court and dude was hitting hook shots and everything. It was kind of funny to see.

malakas, napalm06 and RocketsFido like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I was wondering when I watched them why they didn't use Giannis more to create and make plays for others like the Bucks do but as I saw all those clanked threes I began to find out why.

I think near the end of the game Calathes clanked like 3 or 4 wide open threes which was basically the game.

malakas likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

in the NBA dish of a rockets board

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Darn, thought Sideshow Bob was near retirement.

RocketsFido likes this.
  15. WestendMassive

Scola still smashing it for the Argies is the best thing about the World Cup so far

D-rock and Mazulis like this.
  16. napalm06

He is definitely in the flopping hall-of-fame. Right there with Ginobili.

17. napalm06

Que?

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

NBA and BSPN should be embarrassed that their elected MVP struggles mightily against FIBA teams.

I guarantee if you switch Harden with Giannis, he'd be out there dropping 50 ppg and fouling out half the opposing team.

The worst part is ESPN is already discussing Giannis actually winning back to back MVP next year...

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

39 year old Scola scores 13 points, grabs 8 rebounds, makes 2 assists and gets 1 steal as Argentina beats Russia 69-61.

D-rock, mig0s and daywalker02 like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just realized that in FIBA games, you are awarded an assist for passing to a player who gets fouled and makes at least 1 FT. One of these games, Serbia might have more Assists than FGM.

#160 heypartner, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019