1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Rockets are interested in adding guys who won’t make the team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Sep 1, 2019.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Every time news breaks of the Rockets looking at a player who may not be a household name or otherwise particularly good, it seems many of you quickly rush to bash the team and player. But there is a reason the Rockets are targeting fringe to non-NBA players.

They are trying to recruit the next group of RGV Vipers.

The NBA allows teams to assign up to four “affiliate” players (who don’t make the NBA team out of training camp) to their G-League affiliate. These are in addition to the (up to two) two-way players who can be assigned to the G-League. However, G-League “returning player rights” will trump an affiliate player designation.

For instance, Anthony Bennett played last season for the Agua Caliente Clippers. The Rockets could not designate Bennett as an “affiliate player” (if he failed to make the Rockets out of training camp) because the AC Clippers already have his returning player rights. The Vipers would have to TRADE for Bennett.

Same goes for Terrence Jones—assuming he’s added to the training camp roster—who last played on a G-League contract for the Erie BayHawks. (His Vipers appearance late last season while on a 10-day contract with the Rockets doesn’t count.)

The Vipers already have returning player rights to Michael Frazier, so they don’t need to designate him as an affiliate player for the Vipers to keep him.

Right now, assuming Chris Clemons and Shamorie Ponds get the Rockets’ two two-way spots (not a given), that just leaves William McDowell-White as a potential affiliate player from the current training camp roster. The Rockets would have THREE more spots they could fill with affiliate players.

Those players need to come from SOMEWHERE. Hence, the Rockets are looking at all those guys you want to make fun of as not worthy of playing alongside James Harden and Russell Westbrook.

Don’t worry. They’re most likely going to be playing down in the Rio Grande Valley come December.

RayRay10, bmd, Highlyrated and 45 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Gotcha ... So, just to make sure I understand:

When we hear about GSW or Popovich looking at scrubs, we should be calm and “Ho-Hum, that’s just them trying to fill out their D-League rosters” versus all like “Do Something Maury”, they must know sumpin we don’t?

roslolian, HP3 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

It's sad you have to explain this to all the Negative Nancy's on this board.

Not that it's going to matter.

bmd, da_juice, 34to11 and 3 others like this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Or maybe most of the responses are joke posts but maybe even light-hearted posts hurt people's feelings.

Zoplicone, Easy, Sajan and 1 other person like this.
  5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally have never cared that the Rockets try out all these lottery ticket type players. They make all sorts of sense. I don't even blame them for not re-signing Ariza since that's such a huge amount of tax to pay.

I am just annoyed the team has not used its MLE to fill a rotation spot with a legit player because they can't even go slightly into the tax. To me that's just being cheap.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

P
    U
    R
    E

vator likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am okay and go along with it...... (Coffee slurp...)

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we have just 6 players who aren't making the minimum that's crazy

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

FWIW, the Rockets used a good chunk of their MLE to re-sign Danuel House. I’m not saying that should fully satisfy your concerns (trust me, I have my own). I just think we need to be intellectually honest with ourselves when we criticize the team for what they did or did not do.
    Yeah, I wish they had a couple of bigger salaries they could trade later with a pick or two for another key rotation piece. But I also understand (intellectually moreso than emotionally) if the Rockets want to instead wait for the buyout market to add that guy (such as Iguodala, Marvin Williams, etc.).

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Waiting for the buyout market."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    [​IMG]

Nice try Tilman. They said that last year and didn't use the MLE.
    Just like they said they had the "green light to bust the budget" two summers in a row. (LOLOLOL)

"GrEeN LiGhT tO bUsT tHe bUdGeT"
    "WhAtEvEr It TaKeS"
    "WiN aT ALl CoStS"

Still sitting on a portion of the MLE ($2.2M or $5.7M). They don't want to pay the LT or hard cap themselves so they won't be using the remaining $5.7M (NTPMLE).

BTW, I guess Danuel House was the terrific free agent they said they'd add with the MLE. (LOLOLOL)

#10 J.R., Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Little Bit, Dgn1, Jontro and 7 others like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I got what Bima said and was never against taking looks at these players. Context is important.

I think the cynicism whenever these guys are signed is in the context of not getting better role players. It doesn't help when Morey insinuated with things like firework and stuff. Plus, a lot of them are just lighthearted inside jests in the context of CF's memes.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You seem to think I am satisfied with the Rockets’ apparent unwillingness to pay the tax. I am not. I am just explaining WHY they are doing what they are doing. Don’t confuse this for me being an APOLOGIST for a failure to spend more.

I assume this wasn’t a personal attack against me, JR, as I know you’re a solid dude. But we all already get that Fertitta’s actions vs. rhetoric are worthy of at least some criticism. I was hoping that this thread could steer clear of that and focus on why certain guys were getting tryouts, etc., with the Rockets and how they were going to fill out the Vipers roster.

RayRay10, D-rock, Possum and 6 others like this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Remember the championship years where half the team was paid and half were minimums?

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Two solid points here.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not making the minimum:

Dream
    OT
    Max
    Jet
    Mario
    Carl
    Sam
    Horry
    Brooks
    Bullard

only Petruska and Riley were getting the $150k minimum

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Going slightly into the tax and into the tax are seen as the same thing. It’s all about not starting the repeater tax. They will not be able to avoid the tax the next two years. I’m not saying this is the right way to go, I’m not saying it’s not either. But stating they won’t go slightly into the tax is cheap isn’t exactly what’s happening. That’s how I read things at least. Could be wrong.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

recent history has proven otherwise. tilman & morey have shown they can move Heaven & Earth to get below the taxline if they so desire

18. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

Bimathug, I truly appreciate your insight but please, don't justify yourself to some of these guys. You cannot satisfy these guys even if you try. We all agreed that Tilman could spend more to get serviceable BIGs and that his unwillingness to go above tax line or pay luxury tax is not acceptable, especially, if you want to win the Larry O'brien trophy this days. We can also agree that the organization is doing the best under the circumstance. Spending the MLE just for the sake of spending or satisfying the fan base, just doesn't make sense or financial sense. To do that may be expedient but not prudent. Rather, it's best to wait for the opportune time to spend the MLE. These guys are insatiable; they go where the wind blow. These trollers were the same guys wailing and winning that DMorey was giving too much to acquire Jimmy Butler; and when the deal fell through, they were the same guys complaining that Dmorey should have given more to close the deal. Damn you do, and damn you don't. If you ask them who, out there right now, the Rockets should use the MLE on, they would only come up with players that are not available or still under the control of their present club. How do you satisfy that type of thinking? I can't wait for the training season to start to see who makes the team and who doesn't. Once that is determined, the like of Iggy may become available as the season approaches.

34to11 likes this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Big fan of yours, J.R., but why does that matter? They picked up Austin Rivers and Kenneth Faried. If we hadn't added anyone who could help I'd understand your frustration but those were probably two of the most positive mid-season signings in the league last year. Wish Faried would have contributed in the playoffs but he no doubt contributed to some wins in the regular season. Austin Rivers was such a great fit that he actually returned for the minimum.

Who did we miss out on because we didn't use the MLE?

#19 Williamson, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    D-rock and biff17 like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This should be stickied as a reference.

Also, the fact about using MLE for House. On Clutchfans in late 2018/early 2019, House was our lord and savior and how dare we have a contract negotiation? Now that we used MLE on him, we regret it and want to play Monday Morning Quarterback about paying him last year - nevermind that he disappeared at key moments.

Then we weren't going to make any moves to help the team (because Rockets management is so inept), but we made a huge trade to swap CP3 for Westbrook. Now suddenly "broke down useless" CP3 is still good and Westbrook is a huge chucker (which I agree with..).

Then we aren't going to extend anyone (because Tilman is cheap). But we now extend Gordon (top 5 valuable player on the team), and there's not much excitement, just more focus on extending 34 year old PJ Tucker.

We need some stakes in the ground to stop self-hating fans from constantly trying to drag us down the next rabbit hole.
    [​IMG]

Also, #FireBillObrien

#20 napalm06, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Pat, 34to11, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.