1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses? Jordan or Harden? Debate/Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses?

1. Harden

2. Jordan

3. Jordan faced tougher defenders

4. Jordan faced tougher defenses

5. Harden faced tougher defenders

6. Harden faced tougher defenses

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Highlights of the games? Or like full blown games? Cause using highlights as part of your arguments, doesnt do it for me. What do you mean lack of contests, like I watched this whole video, he got contested a ton, lol like what? You dont think that happens today, even in the playoffs? Most guys who have great scoring nights tend to get looks like that. And even then, Harden taking a lot of contested 3s, normally isnt a good thing. Like Jordon was getting a lot of those "open" shots because he was dominant going to the basket. Plus you using one game by Jordon in the POs compared to one game of Harden isnt comprehensive of anything. It's not about questioning your opinion, your methodology just doesnt give anyone a clear view.

2. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I know about The Jordan Rules... It's been known... What isn't regularly discussed is Zone D in that era... The Pistons still couldn't employ zone and so MJ still would often go off... Look at that game I posted or heck pull up the other games in that series... Look at the level of actual defense they were playing on him lol in the playoffs.... Also when they decided to double on the baseline they had to send a HARD double by the rules which hinders their defense... It's also easier to read and exploit than a soft hedge or someone camping out the space between the FT line and baseline(which was illegal)

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Again, what is this nonsense about contests? That's them playing off them enough to stop the drive, otherwise they'll get blown by. Also you last sentence, go look at any big game. See how that doesnt work, a star's "big" game isnt a comprehensive view at all.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol plus even when Jordon came back(Wizards), the man still averaged 20 PPG at 40 years old on really good shooting splits after being retried for 2-3 years. And he to play against the dreaded "zone."

So it's hard for me to say Harden faced tougher defenses when I really dont have the clear cut picture of the 90s. I think it's unfair.

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Wrong he rarely ever got contested on his jumpers throughout the course of games... Yes he got contested on some drives and also just blew by his man with little to no help in rotation.
    Go pull up multiple games... You clearly haven't watched enough... MJ regularly got looks like that and he got a lot of those open shots for multiple reasons... They didn’t focus on contesting perimeter shots as much back then... There was also no zone D so they were more vulnerable if beaten of the dribble...

20 years ago... At an All-Star Game... Jordan made a plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to the nba.... Jordan said... "If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did."

DavidRocket likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I have seen him, i saw that whole video he posted and he got contested a ton, what are you talking about? There was help? It was in that same video? What?.....Plus you only posted one game? I wonder how their defense looked when he had bad games? For multiple reasons? Cmon man? He came off a lot o down screens to get that mid range jumpers, dude's were playing back to contest the drive, Lebron (from early to mid) in his career was played the same way.

7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You're not thinking... Do they play off Harden like this today? How about KD? I can name multiple stars... This is not the case... And these guys can absolutely blow by you... BUT.... They can play zone... Help and trap off ball... This guy.

Imagine having to guard Harden today and you can't play zone at all... IMAGINE.

The lack of ball IQ here is something else.

icewill36 and fckbandwagons like this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

watch the video...

9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Bad argument... Not comparable at all, but did you really say MJ came back and had really good shooting splits? He came back and chucked up shots and shot ****ING TERRIBLE.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's why these arguments are tricky, because how would that work against a dominant 3 point shooting team or a team full of great shooters with better spacing, ball movement, better ball handlers, and possibly better athletes.

Even in that time period, the Knicks often struggled against great shooting teams, like the Celtics, Pacers, and Suns.

Those Knicks teams would've gotten smoked, if you gave Prime-Reggie Miller, the modern day Pacers roster or the early 2000s version with O'Neal and Artest. They built a team to specifically stop MJ and similar teams of the 90s. If Miller and MJ had a bad game against them, they'd win. With a legitimate contender now or the previous eras, your star can be as mediocre as ever in a series or the playoffs. You could still go deep in the playoffs, especially if your 2 - 4th best scorers are 17-25+ ppg guys.

Michael Adams is a great example that OP used, because people say he could do that now. Yet, I can name 12 point guards off the top of my head who is better than him without looking. Another 12-15 in comparison.

kjayp and Air Canada like this.
  11. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I'm talking about the Pistons game, but I posted two and no he barely got contested on jumpers... Not just off screens... When he's just standing solo on the perimeter... There isn't any help except for a rotation after he beats his man... No one behind the initial defender.... This level of D on the perimeter is easier than what we see today.... Multiple stars today would be able to average 30+.... Did you see Michael Adams? Look at other perimeter guys outside MJ who were on the top scoring lists those seasons he played... Multiple absolutely not better or close to the perimeter stars today....

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Define tougher defense?

Jordan faced bigger (heavier) players that hacked/fouled hard without the fear of flagrant being called like
    in today’s NBA game. No Zone defense and players had to stay in the vicinity of their counterpart or move
    to player with ball (doubling) entirely. Couldn’t position self in between multiple players and guarding all....
    allowing bigger passing windows and lanes to the hoop.

Harden faces smarter defenses which can play off of their counterparts and scheme to the strengths of the offense....
    cutting down passing windows and lanes to the hoop due to decreased angles. One player can guard 2 or 3 players
    on the weak side....meaning more defenders in the vicinity of Harden. Teams cheating by having player(s) in the
    paint to skirt the 3-second defensive rule and getting away with it most of the time.

Harden could have played in Jordan’s time by lowering his shoulder into the sternum of the opponent and still getting
    off his shot. The extending the arms/ball in front of him would still be too tempting for the players then to avoid hacking
    and fouling him at the wrists and forearms....still getting off a shot because of his strong hands/arms. Wider driving lanes.

DavidRocket and plutoblue11 like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

old heads love to act like the defense played back then was so amazing and on another level...a lot of these dudes couldn’t guard whoever the star player was so they just resorted to hacking, clotheslining, pushing, shoving, etc in addition to hand checking

“I can’t actually guard u so let me just beat u up when u try to make your move”...that football player that came to the gym to hoop type sh*t

Harden would smoke the vast majority of defenders back then with ease and they’d resort to hacking so Harden would still get his 10+ trips to the line...dude is too skilled, too creative, too strong

defenses as a whole are smarter...a lot more scheming has to go on in today’s game IMO...today’s defense lacks these dudes who will just hit u with a football player foul after getting BBQ’d out on the perimeter

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro you posted one play off game and you’re telling me Michael jordon didn’t get get contested for his shots and posting a couple highlights to make your point. That’s not a good way of going about it, and not to mention you have stats to back it up. So you’re telling me to rely on no stats and highlight videos to tell me about how teams guarded Jordon....lol what.

Well Harden’s FT rate would probably be lower in the 90s as well.

Ok this the second time you’ve been a jerk here. Don’t make passive aggressive comments when I’m just trying to have a discussion.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Which is more difficult for said player.... Given what we know Harden is capable of in this era... And that we know he's a very physically tough player whose very durable and that's not scared of contact, but embraces it... He'd excel in a game where the defenses are essentially handcuffed in how they can scheme against him... They absolutely called a ton of fouls back then even though they were harder... He'd get to the line proficiently and would have literally the best handle of any player in that era.... Also has a mind innovated enough to exploit the man defense that plays right to his strengths... His shooting would also just be unfair... Most of the guys defending him would be shorter as they were in MJs era too.... The best perimeter defender of MJs era was probably on his team in Quitten.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Nah he didn’t have good shooting splits my bad, but him averaging 20 ppl at that age is still impressive, so I don’t think the zone would have as much of an affect as you would think.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

You have any stats to back this up? At all? Anything besides highlights? You may or may not be right but posting highlights gives you a surface level understanding of how defenses played back then. Like I said before your methodology is way off.

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Im not gonna post numerous videos... I can post some more though if you'd like... There's no stats on contested shots from the 80s and 90s like today... MJ was uncontested on jumpers more than not.... Have you not watched a ton of his games? And he wasn't contested as nearly much as the perimeter superstars of today on jumpers and that includes Harden...

Why would Harden's rate be lower when they called more fouls in the 90s? Guys that drew the most fouls are either the super strong/physical (Shaq/Barkley/Malone) or the crafty guys Harden/Miller/Dantley/KD etc. These guys would draw a lot of fouls in any era

Watch a lot of games from the 80s-90's.... Talk about a foul-fest. You'll see a ridiculous amount of FTs if you were under the assumption that players got fouled all the time, and the refs just let'em play. Or at least, that's what you would think, by the way people talk about basketball from that era.

Look at how many fouls a team gets yearly (league average year by year) and average that by decade.

2010s 20.2 fouls per game
    2000s 21.7 fouls per game
    1990s 22.8fpg
    1980s 24.9fpg

Granted the pace was a little faster in the 90's, then it is now (101.5 average back in the 80s compared to 91.3 in the 2000s) So I decided to look at it on a per 100 possession basis.

2010s - 21.3
    2000s - 23.8
    90s - 24.2
    80s - 24.6

DavidRocket likes this.
  19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Its not hard to get 20 if you chuck up 20 shots and get a lot of empty stats in losses.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Then you’re relying on pure eye tests on a bunch of highlight videos without posting any stats.

Really you got anything to back up the way they called fouls the same way they do now the in the 90s. Calling more fouls per 100 possession is great and I think that gives credence to your argument but it doesn’t tell the whole story which is the problem I have with the way you present your arguments.