1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

And only one of them is really good enough. Yikes!

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The people that voted "yes" in the poll either are trolls or they are Seahwaks fans.

this will become one of the worst trades in NFL History, just right there with the Trent Richardson to the Colts for a 1st round pick trade.

Aruba77 likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Without the safety net of future draft picks. Makes me sick

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gosh Sean, so do you like the trade or what?

DJboutit, SWTsig, AKVerse47 and 3 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bend over Texans.

SWTsig, Deuce, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  6. ktex

ktex Member

Just keeps getting worse.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This trade just keeps getting worse!!! If we just kept Clowney this season, then Tunsil makes much more sense. Handing him to SEA on a platinum platter with $7M is analogous to the deal with Iran. I'm just flabbergasted with the hold Clowney deal.

9. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

Bill O’ Brien’s offenses cannot score 31 points a game. Texans are wasting Deshaun and DeAndre

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Huh? U don’t know what u are talking about. The money US gave to Iran was Iran’s money that had been frozen. Leave to Trump supporter to believe anything.

12. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I don't like the trade as much as everyone else but it seems like JD was prepared to sit out games if he didnt go where he wanted. I agree that this should of been handled earlier but, with the situation as it was this past week, we were limited with our options. I still would of preferred to wait it out the year and revisit next year but I'm just a Houston fan that sits in front of a computer pretending I know more than I do - just like the rest of us.

I have never been a huge fan of Clowney. Physical freak but inconsistent and not a high enough motor for my liking. Honestly, him being on the team, or off, doesn't move the needle too much either way. His strength, speed and playing next to Watt... I would of expected a lot more production

TheFreak likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Going back to original sentiments... who wanted JD to stay here long-term?

I actually do not think he complements Watt, or vice-versa... for some reason, I expect them to get better regular pressure on the QB without him based on schemes alone... don't ask me why.

rusHour likes this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wrong Scar, I was raised a Democrat and have been an Independent most of my life.

You're partially right, the $400M was money that had been paid for weapon systems before the Iranian Revolution changed the landscape. However, the $1.3B interest we paid is disputed and over 3x what they paid. There is also, the issue of US family's claims against the $400M (who lost family from Iranian sponsored terror attacks). Finally, Iran used the timing of the payments as propaganda for swindling us in hostage negotiations. This was not a good deal in any form or fashion for the US, no matter what party you support.

Like the Clowney trade, BOB wanted to get the deal done so bad that he basically gave up more concessions for little or negative value (Mingo). This deal is not good for the Texans no matter how its spun, hence the reason I used the analogy.

Suggest you refrain from attacking posters about political affiliations when I made no reference to parties or administrations.

jcf likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You may have a point. Clowney was a bit of a freelancer and was caught numerous times attacking instead of playing contain on his side of the field. Mercilus is a more disciplined defender and although he's not as athletic, he may bring a steadier level of play. My problem is the return was so poor, I'd rather have kept him versus giving him away. Maybe HOU leadership believes he's a ticking time bomb and the micro-fracture could end his career at any time. That is the wildcard that we as fans have little insight into, but could have driven this distressed sale.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OBrien is one of the biggest morons in the history of sports.

I've been warning about this for years. Oh well

DJboutit likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You obviously never saw the Oilers under Bill Peterson. I'm not surprised at all at how the Texans are making the Oilers look good in retrospect.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Wut. It's Watt who is the free lancer. Clowney is better at setting the edge

20. Mr. Clutch

Top edge rushers:

10. JADEVEON CLOWNEY, HOUSTON TEXANS
    2018 OVERALL GRADE RANK: T-9
    Clowney is coming off a year that saw him set career-high marks in overall grade, sacks and snaps played (including the postseason). The former first overall pick tallied 63 quarterback pressures a season ago — the second straight year that he’s produced 60-plus quarterback pressures — and his career-high pass-rush grade of 78.8 was good for 13th among 111 qualifying players at the position. As promising as his career-high pass-rushing marks are, they pale in comparison to his performance against the run. Clowney has earned run-defense grades north of 75.0 in each of the last four seasons, and a staggering 47.2% of his career run tackles have been for a loss of yardage or no gain — second to only Michael Bennett (53.7%) among the 94 edge defenders with at least 500 run-defense snaps since 2014.