1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

“Doesn’t matter Chetah, division co-champions Chetah.” - BOB

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

One thing I can say about Gaine is he never traded away Clowney for a bag of dog ****.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Nah... Bill O’Brien can blame the lack of a GM or the lackeys in the front office there doing his bidding.

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Clowney for Xavier Rhodes/Trae Waynes would’ve been nice right now

BMoney likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I've been calling it all off-season. This points to another season where we praise O'Brien for mediocrity once again. He wins the division and loses in the wild card game but we think he's great because he had to adjust to all the new players and the tough schedule and the loss of Clowney and the injuries, etc.

6. 1234567

1234567 Member

Between this and the massive LT trade that cost 2 future 1st.

There is no future and they better win it all this year.

I once did a Houston win all 3 championships (MLB NBA NFL) Mike drop prediction in here.

With all this going down... there is a chance..

A major upgrade to OL will do wonders for DW4 and running game.

Maybe those LB coming back can play a little, one would hope.

Besides, I like my chance more at this moment them before.

And we don't need no stinking GM...
    There are no picks to consider next two years!

7. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

This is the most clear case of be careful what you wish for. Rick Smith was not great but he also was not awful. This trade is beyond awful. There is no way I'm spending a dime on the Texans until BooB is gone.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This entire situation was a mishandled cluster**** of an embarrassment. All that cap space while Watson is on his rookie deal and instead of front loading a contract to keep one of the premier defensive players in the league we end up with absolute crap.

There were many games where Clowney looked like the best defensive player in the league. If he finds that consistency or motivation in Seattle they will be laughing their asses off at this Larry Anderson for Bagwell mismatch of value.

Idiot franchise.

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Freaked my son out the other day when I told him that the Texans need to trade Watt for picks. Why? Because J.J. Watt deserves better than this. Same with Watson and Hopkins. Give it all up and rebuild. Start with a coach and a GM. Today’s news doesn’t make me back away from this sentiment. I think Bud Adams has cursed us from the grave.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Remember that great run defense from last year? Kiss it goodbye. Clowney was far and away the reason.

hvanderm likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Why not?

Why not? Member

Charlie Casserly and Rick Smith (a couple of idiots) are both laughing at how idiotic we are right now.

H-Town Info and Silent_Bob like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-breaking-seahawks-win-big-in-trade-for-jadeveon-clowney

Martin, a second-year Temple product drafted in the sixth round in 2018, earned a 62.6 overall grade across 261 defensive snaps last season. Mingo earned just a 56.0 overall grade across 544 defensive snaps in 2018 and has earned just a 68.1 overall grade across his 2,101 career defensive snaps since going sixth overall to the Cleveland Browns in 2013.

What Clowney brings to Seattle is outstanding run defense and good, not great pass-rushing ability off the edge.

Not only is Clowney is coming off the best single-season run-defense grade of his career (91.2), but he also ranks fourth in run-defense grade (91.7) among the 102 NFL edge defenders with 500 run-defense snaps played over the past five seasons (2014-18). He’s a constant disruptor at the line of scrimmage capable of beating blocks and creating havoc in the backfield quickly, as you’d expect considering the highlight-reel hit that made him famous at the collegiate level.

Of course, we at PFF hammered all last season and deep into this offseason that running the football and run defense aren’t nearly as valuable as coverage and rushing the passer. And Clowney has yet to establish himself as an elite, consistent pass-rusher in this league.

Among the 78 NFL edge defenders with 1,000-plus pass-rush snaps in the past five seasons (2014-18), Clowney ranks 25th in pass-rush grade (79.2), 33rd in pass-rush win percentage (14.3%) and 29th in total pressures (215).

Clowney has improved his pass-rush grade by at least 3.0 points every year of his NFL career and earned a career-high 79.4 pass-rush grade with Houston this past season. Yet, his still ranked 13th in pass-rush grade (79.4), 25th in pass-rush win percentage (15.3%) and 17th in total pressures (63) among the 93 NFL edge defenders with 200 or more pass-rush snaps played this past season.

Trading away a third-round pick (they could easily get back next offseason) and depth pieces in Martin and Mingo for Clowney is a steal for Seattle no matter how you slice it. The Seahawks’ run defense improves significantly with the addition of Clowney, and the team’s pass-rush should see at least an uptick in production with him added to the mix.

Gray_Jay and Silent_Bob like this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Will be rooting for Clowney and Duane Brown to win a Super Bowl next year

CometsWin and arkoe like this.
  16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not sure. Maybe ask the GM that was fired?

SWTsig, buffalobills!!!, Nimo and 2 others like this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I have zero concerns that Clowney joins Seattle and turns into some kind of JJ Watt defensive monster. He’s just not wired that way and isn’t that level of talent. I actually would love to see it though.

But he is quite good and just at current level, the Texans got completely hosed on that trade.

BigShasta and arkoe like this.
  18. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

It’s even more comical because his original stance was “the Texans are not trading Clowney”

buffalobills!!! and J.R. like this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

The last time the Texans had 3 3rd round picks they hit on only one of them. So I guess there's a chance. But sitting through another draft with no 1st and 2nd rounders is going to be tough for fans.

raining threes likes this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Since BoB has come on board, we’ve had nine 3rd round picks. Good chance only 2 will be on the active roster this season. To be fair, the track record wasn’t good before.

Nimo likes this.