1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

I want to turn back the clock

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

i miss not worrying about global warming, recycling, and saving polar bears.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob and donkeypunch like this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We were worrying about these things since the 80s.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Or the Sears catalog (bra section).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. BleedsRocketRed

I just realized this a few days ago. I was out driving in the TX hill country last week and I wanted to plot out my drive over to the next town. I reached back behind my seat and pulled out a road atlas and started mapping it out like I always have in the past.

I then realized, WTF am I doing this for? I can just look on my phone. For some reason, I always just went to the atlas without a thinking twice about it. Its what I have always done since I started driving in 1994.

If I could go back to the 80's to early 90's without knowing anything about what I know now, I would in a heartbeat. Its crazy to look back and see how much the social media and smart phone boom changed humanity going forward. Hard to believe that Pre-2008 the social norms were so different.

I recently went to visit the 9/11 Memorial Museum in downtown Manhattan (Highly recommend) and I did the guided tour. The tour guide asked how many people remember watching and living the events of 9/11. Out of about 10-15 of us, only 3 of us raised our hands, me being one of them. That was a moment of realization for me that people born after the events of 9/11 will be coming up to 19 years old now. I was 21 when it happened.

Damn.

#24 BleedsRocketRed, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam! i didn't pay attention in school and schitte with current events

B-Bob likes this.
  6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

SuraGotMadHops and Jontro like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

i conclude that this thread is 39 years too late

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On a related note, this is why I prefer shows that take place in the past. Communication is harder and that adds more conflict / issues. Nowadays, misunderstandings between characters can just be solved with a text. Boring. Plus with GPS systems and security cameras everywhere, it's more implausible to have people sneak around.

9. SuraGotMadHops

10. Buck Turgidson

11. GIGO

GIGO Member

TBTC2TTw/oOUA&I
    Turn back the clock to the times without overly ubiquitous acronyms and initialisms.
    [​IMG]
    #APALD?
    Acronyms, passive-aggressive language devices?

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Perfect, hahah

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

People were far more social before air conditioning. People would sit on their front porch and chat with neighbors. People actually knew their neighbors first and last names.

24 hour cable news networks have become a bad thing. Just report the news without spinning it to please your target audience.

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

A return to pre-97 sampling laws/rules which let folks sample whatever they wanted to use in music. *hit was never the same afterwards..

15. Buck Turgidson

? I grew up with AC, we knew all our neighbors, played in the streets and yards with all their kids, had bbqs, halloween parties, block parties and all that stuff. This was in the way way back ancient days of the late 70's/80's though. I will say that living on a cul-de-sac was awesome. Instant baseball diamond.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I grew up in the 60's/70's. In my neighborhood all the kids knew each other, as we were all allowed total freedom to roam the neighborhood. The parents, while more sociable than today, but pretty much came home from work and stayed inside.

I think before AC, people were far more likely to spend more time outside than inside a hot house. Before AC, homes were even built differently. Many old homes featured a large front porch where people could relax in hot weather. We didn't have AC in our house when I was very young, and I still remember how unpleasant it was.

Where I live today, the streets are empty because the kids are never allowed out of the house. Both parents work, so I only see them driving in and out of their garage early in the morning and late afternoon. It's kinda weird and sad, today's neighborhoods are almost like a ghost town. People live here, you just don't see them.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

But air-conditioning is awesome.

Plus, I know all my neighbors first and last names. You know how? Social media and internet.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. Some of you are young as ****. Want to know what freedom really is? Getting in a car as a teenager and driving away. The only way your parents or anyone else knew what you were actually doing was if you called from a pay phone, or from someone's house. Same after you moved out. You could literally do anything, and we did.

Cars were simple. We literally worked on them ourselves in the driveway or even under a shady tree. Needed some parts? Hit the junkyards. Rent was cheap. Food was cheap. Gas was cheap. Going to a concert or a club was cheap, and no stupid service charges. Even in the '70's it was cheap. I like to tell people that we went to the Houston Music Hall, which had rock concerts all the time, held about 3200 people, and was designed with superb acoustics for chamber orchestras, and saw Pink Floyd do most of Dark Side of the Moon before the LP was released in the first surround sound concert in Houston. Cost? $3.50, and they was good seats.

Many of you missed the really good life of the '60's and '70's. You can have the '80's and 90's, and welcome to them.

GIGO likes this.