1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YouTube TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, Feb 28, 2017.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why is DVR so important to some of you when everything is on demand anyway? I don't have cable, but I can watch anything I want whenever I want on hulu, so there is no need for a DVR.

I tried sling tv and it was garbage, so I just stick to Netflix, Hulu, HBO, NBA League Pass + and antenna for local channels

fallenphoenix likes this.
  2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Exactly. TV channels all have their own apps now, so if I miss an episode of something on AMC I can just stream it from their app or website at my leisure.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I DVR all Rockets, Astros, and Texans games. Need to put the kiddos to bed or just like to start games 30 minutes after they've started to fast forward commercials.

Otherwise yes, everything else is On Demand.

But all of this won't be the case if I cut the cord. It's gonna be a $$$ vs convience argument for me. Generally $$$ wins the battle

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . .. . Laziness.
    DVR generally means I don't have to search of isht.
    It streams better at work
    for some odd reason
    I am about to have a talk with XFINITY this week
    My contract is up and i think I need some changes

Rocket River
    Paying to much for Cable and Internet is unacceptable

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

There was an article not too long ago mentioning that Root will begin to partner with at least one online TV service in time for the NBA season.

AT&T has been dragging ass way too long on getting thier RSN to cord cutters. Dinosaurs.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Now THAT'S interesting. Hopefully this ends up being true!

7. what

what Member

Until these live tv services can offer true 1080p I really have no interest in giving them $35 bucks a month. And most networks cap the quality of the stream. So until then, hulu works just fine.

The only live tv I care to watch is sports and I have to pay for my teams anyway.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. NateNate

NateNate Member

Then the question becomes how much would we be paying for the service. I can't see them adding root sports to something like directv Now streaming service without an increase or subscription to their highest package.

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

I just called directv 2 hours ago and had my account suspended so I'm officially trying out this cord cutting thing. I'm mainly concerned about Rockets games of course. Can I subscribe to league pass and use a VPN to access Rockets games locally?

10. what

what Member

Yes, but if I were you I'd just go with hulu instead of live tv. If you know someone that has direct tv use their login for espn.

Live tv streaming sucks right now.

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

The yes was to the league pass question right?? I need live tv for the GF... I can deal with $35 a month but not ok with the $100 a month anymore.

12. what

what Member

Here's a tip, download the opera browser. It has a free built in VPN.
    If you want live tv, id go with hulu' s version. I think it is 40 a month, but you will also get the normal hulu service built in.

NateNate likes this.
  13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Don't hold your breath. Because no TV provider anywhere offers live TV in 1080p. Including cable and satellite. In fact, networks don't even broadcast their content in 1080p. It's either 720p or 1080i.

On demand is avalable in 1080p on PlayStation Vue and others though.

14. Garner

Garner Member

I cut the cord man; it feels great.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, our specials are over for Xfinity. I need to give them a call. Although, with sites and apps like sportshd.me, showbox, terrarium tv, moviehd etc....I can just cast HD shows and sports to my chromecast....also we have Netflix, amazon video, etc....

16. TL

TL Contributing Member

That's awesome.

Here's what I don't understand about core cutting: when I pull cable out of the package, my internet cost goes up and other bundling discounts go away. Then I add 35-45 bucks for another service and all of a sudden on a net basis I am only saving like 10-15/month.

That's nice, but doesn't move the needle. What am I missing?

17. NateNate

NateNate Member

I had directv bundled with ATT. My directv bill was about $100 after taxes and the only discount I had for the bundle was unlimited data so now I only have 1tb, Which is more than enough.

18. Garner

Garner Member

So my cable + internet package was running me (don't quote me here) ~$220 per month. Even with my internet price going up + the additions of Hulu and NFLX, I'm saving roughly $100 per month.

Listen...having cable is better than not having cable, but I don't miss it. Especially with the Amazon/Yahoos of the world breaking into live sporting events, it'll be fine.

For me, it's worth giving the cable companies the finger as much as I can.

19. what

what Member

This to me is the best way. I don't always keep hbo, but league pass and Hulu and Netflix are constants for me.

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

It’s 2019 now...

Does anyone that lives in Houston area, that has YouTube TV, get Rockets games on it? If so, what channel is it on?

If not, what streaming service should I get?