1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Hong Kong Protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 12, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

If it's not you, then I dunno why you're so upset. I was talking about idiots who seem to think we should do nothing about China. Is that you? If so, the shoe fits. If not, that comment applies not to you.

ashleyem likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

saitou likes this.
  3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

As i said before, people will always choose to see what side they want to be on. You can say i am ignorant or condescending but i can tell you i lived in China for 8 years across the country and 3 years in Hong Kong and lived in USA 38 years. Don't expect you to believe it because there are still some people who really think Earth is flat...

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

LOL come on USA doesn't position itself to win..do you read history? I love USA but i am not blind to the fact we spend a lot of time worrying about others, while we have many issues that needs to be resolved internally.

Unless you really believe China is going move right next to USA and preach communism to your neighbors....

#304 MightyMog, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve been heard this argument before that China can’t adopt democracy. I don’t buy that at all. There is nothing in the Chinese that can’t be democratic. Taiwan is doing well as a democracy and there are millions of Chinese living and doing well in countries with democracy.
    The PRC is large and diverse and maybe one person one vote might be difficult to manage (FYI the US on the Federal level doesn’t even have that) but could have some form of a republican federal system. Given the challenges that the PRC faces especially regarding disparities between regions and resource disparities such a system could work better than the top down authoritarian rule from Beijing by the CCP.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You initially mentioned liberals supporting China against the protestors. I am a liberal and yet I hadn't seen any other liberals talking about supporting China against the protestors. I asked which liberals and didn't get a response. Then you mentioned something along the same lines again, so I brought it up again.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think Democracy for a huge population that is still mostly poor and under educated would be a huge mistake at this time. Look around the world, the successful Democracies are almost all well educated and have high living standards.

China would turn into a banana republic or worse if it is to go Democratic at this moment. It would not have achieved the success it had achieved the last forty years under a Democratic system.

When 80-90% of China are like the eastern coast of China, I think Democracy would naturally take place, it is still one or two generations away.

BigDog63 likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

no not what I said... wasn't talking specifically the actions in hk. Just talking about people who support China man. Including people who want to do nothing about it and or sing its praise. Not talking about you.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

There is a huge difference in America's middle class and Chinese.

How can you equate the 2?

especially considering home ownership.

11. adoo

adoo Member

what is the difference?

the middle class refers to the social group between the upper and working classes,
    including professional and business workers and their families.

The Pew Research Center defines the middle class as those
    earning 67% to 200% of the median household income.​

#311 adoo, Aug 29, 2019
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

I understand what the definition of middle class is in abstract but the middle class in the U.S. Has much more economic power and resources than the middle class in China.

I would bet that there are huge educational differences as well.

https://chinapower.csis.org/china-middle-class/

13. adoo

adoo Member

you need to understand this

The Pew Research Center defines the middle class as those earning 67% to 200% of the median household income.​

14. biff17

biff17 Member

I do understand that as I said in my last post.

None of that has to do with the buying power of the U.S. Middle class as opposed to China.

A person making 2 dollars a day in China is considered by some metrics as middle class.

15. adoo

adoo Member

clearly u have no idea what ur talking about.

relatively speaking, each middle class household in China, as well as its US counterparts, has ~~ the same economic pull
    given Pew's definition that

the middle class belongs to the social group earning 67% to 200% of the median household income.

except that china's middle class , ~~ > 300 million, is more populous​

#315 adoo, Aug 29, 2019
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

What?

Did you read the link?

Here is another.

https://www.ibtimes.com/china-middl...e-middle-income-society-2030-matching-2441050

There is no set definition of middle class, why are you harping on Pew?

This is the criteria I am talking about.

Definitions of the middle class (and indeed of classes generally) tend to fall into one of the three broad categories, based on economic resources; on education and occupation status; or on attitudes, self-perception, and mindset. Determining whether you are “middle class” requires different information for each of these three categories. For the first (cash), we need to see your bank balance. For the second (credentials) we need to see your résumé. For the third (culture), we need to see inside your head.

• Cash: economic resources, especially income, wealth, freedom from poverty
    • Credentials: educational achievements and qualifications, occupational status
    • Culture: attitudes, mindset, behavior, self-definition
    These definitions will of course overlap with and reinforce each other. Levels of education, for example, are highly correlated with income (through earnings), and becoming more so. People doing jobs with a certain social status are likely to define themselves as middle class. Aspiring to college or having a saver mentality are likely to lead to a bigger bank balance, and so on.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/defining-the-middle-class-cash-credentials-or-culture/

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

PRC method for dealing with anything true. Deflect to how great the economy is.

Well, that's not gonna be the case soon. They'll need a new way to convince people that all the oppression is worth it. My guess is a war to cut its teeth and sharpen its claws. Probably a smaller country like Vietnam that stands to get all those manufacturing jobs it's about to bleed from its losing end of the Trade War.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hey look, official PRC footage from the Tiananmen Square massacre:

[​IMG]

ashleyem likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

yip,

Monkey see, monkey do,​

And Trump has followed the same game plan

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Fair take. I might agree with it. It would remain to be seen how 'naturally' it might occur.