1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No extensions - maintain maximum flexibility until.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Didn't Tilman say that he's happy to pay out a jackpot on D'Antoni if D'Antoni delivers this year? Tilman sounds like a guy who believes in keeping employees on their toes and rewarding them based only on performance.

The $109 million question is whether he's willing to play that game in the context of a salary cap.

saleem, banzai and Highlyrated like this.
  2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No extensions? Ain't no free agents coming here. This organization's reputation will be complete trash now

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

It’s not about work or not works. Coaching and bench are simply not good enough to win rings.

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

It has to sign both extensions AND trade shumpert, picks and NGs for good players.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean...it was probably Morey, but the reason we couldnt get better players last year was because Tilman was cheap.
    Doesnt sound like thats Dantoni's fault.

D-rock, Gray_Jay and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Or just logically, don't extend people past their mid 30's.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I 1000% agree... By the time these deals run out if we havent won a title already its time to go in another direction. It makes no sense to lock in this team any longer than 2 years.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Tucker has no room to not play his heart out... Hes not going to get paid by anyone without giving 100% every night. Dude is past his prime and heart is all he has to offer a team.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

When your paycheck for the next 5 years is on the line, you are LESS motivated? Interesting.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is still a decent rebounder, tough defender and a good corner 3pt shooter.

11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Its the other way around actually. They will fight for money until they get it

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

tilman has brainwashed people with his LTS and its hilarious to see a lot of these comments as a result

HP3 likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, but like Jerry Jones of the Cowboys, Tilman won't be firing himself.

I've seen an interview with Jerry Jones saying if he was just the coach....he would've been fired a long time ago.

D'Antoni history is of playing players out of position. Like Amar'e at Center with Matrix at PF, guards (Jim Jackson at SF) filling out the rest of the roster. We/ I see it with Capela being pushed around and Tucker playing PF, fill in rest of roster with guards (case in point MCW, Shump and Eric Gordon playing SF).

Morey/Tilman can't be blamed for the Phoenix days....they weren't there.

#33 ApacheWarrior, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering its a perimeter oriented league, this is a strange post

HP3 and Nook like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think they will play for a contract.

DD

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Guards get out muscled and out "Heightened" by SF's.

More to the game than just shooting 3's

If you still think it's strange...I can't help you.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am in general an "Anti" can kicker but that ship was 2 years ago, and we let it sail and went downhill, now we have taken a major risk and need to see if it works...

DD

Scarface likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

and? you still need them before you get these so called bigs. how are all the bigs in the league doing without these perimeter players they play off of

now that the rockets have these perimeter players besides a Ariza wing type that they still have not replaced, he's too cheap to spend on solidifying the next tier of players you need. that is absolutely on tilman. not mda/morey or whoever else you want to place blame

Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean injuries and Robert Horry were the two biggest reasons the Suns didnt win a championship imo(well also defense but mainly the first two). Tucker playing PF isnt really a problem its that we have no extra wing player to support him on defense. Like I think if we had someone like Jaymychal Green, that chip was ours.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Ehh not really i would feel the same way whoever the owner is... Untill this team wins why would you commit to it?

Tucker will be 36 when his current deal expires which is reason enough to not extend him and Gordon has a loooooooongg history of injuries which again is reason enough to not commit more years to him.

If we extend these guys we are locked into this team and for what? They still havent proven they can win anything.