1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i think like 20 minutes on twitter.

he said something like clowney is pissed as his agent, and know if he signs the tender he will be dealt to miami

J.R. likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

desihooper, mikol13 and gucci888 like this.
  3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

thank JR.

J.R. likes this.
  4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fire Cook and tell BO'B that he's wanting to play in Houston and will revisit talks next year. Hoping Cook had been holding out for "Mack" dollars and Clowney would be willing to take less than top-top of market to stay in Houston?

red5rocket likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Interesting. Sounds like Clowney not willing to sit out the season which is smart on his part.

7. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

its a mess wow.. He is probably going to go to Miami. He will sign the tender and will just be traded to wherever they trade him.
    I doubt he will sit out on 15 Mil

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That was the year they were left out of the playoffs...but should have been in. That team was on fire.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what the theme of this thread is, but I actually don’t see how the Texans are really in the wrong for how this was handled.

Clowney is not a generational type player. He’s certainly a difference maker that will make any defense he is on better... but I never thought he was going to be a current or future anchor that you could build around.

The Texans were decidedly within their rights to franchise him and not commit long term dollars to a guy who may start to have even more injuries the older he gets, when at his best he’s still just about a pro bowl (not all-pro) level player.

Rudyc281, Gray_Jay, Newlin and 2 others like this.
  10. seank1986

seank1986 Member

11. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

John Granato - legit source

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans Storm Trooper - not so much

13. seank1986

seank1986 Member

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Two points: if Aaron Wilson is right on his latest podcast, and the Texans didn't bother negotiating with Clowney this last offseason, that's quite damning. Second, is it your view that the Texans should only sign significant long-term deals with All-Pro players? Because there aren't very many of those to go around. I mean, I understand that POV, I just think giving money to what appears to be a perennial Pro Bowler like Clowney isn't a bad idea either.

I don't have a problem with the Texans not extending Clowney, though I personally would have, if Clark type money was what it would have taken. (My understanding was that he was looking for something near Mack's deal in amount, given it would be a few years after Mack's deal was signed)

I do have a problem with their not trading him much earlier, once they made their decision to not extend him, or negotiate with him, and thereby avoid this mess. It speaks to a lack of contingency planning and due diligence by ownership and their agents. So does the Caserio pursuit disaster.

Aside, why is Clowney so seemingly butthurt about going to Miami? They are getting 37 million dollars in dead money off their books next year. Surely a large chunk of that could go into Clowney's pockets? Is he like the only pro athlete that doesn't want to hang out on South Beach? Especially if Seattle is your other choice?! Has he ever lived there? Seattle's like a beautiful woman, who's always sick.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. seank1986

seank1986 Member

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Only person i trust is Granato

18. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

would have to be resolved soon- even without an agent. I think he already knows he has to sign the tender regardless.
    unless he really wants to start losing money

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can you trade a player not under contract? Or maybe the Texans wanted one more year out of him, but didn’t want to commit beyond that.

Teams let players go all the time in the NFL... in some cases players much more accomplished than clowney.

There’s plenty you can criticize the Texans for in all areas.. I just don’t count a player not happy with the lack of a long term deal, and unwilling to play for the franchise tag, as necessarily one of them.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don’t understand this Clowney has leverage standpoint. His choice is sign the tender and play football or forfeit a $1M per week.