1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamstrings severely tight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Aug 26, 2019.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Anyone have this problem?

My hamstrings are ungodly tight and I am doing physical therapy but I have my doubts as to how much it's helping / gonna help. But I'm trying.

I wonder if my scoliosis (not severe, but exists) is causing the tightness (I go back to the physio-whatever for more detailed X-rays in a week or two) or vice versa. My high-arched feet don't help, but then again, the tightness doesn't help the feet.

Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this s***.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A stick muscle rollers work great. I had issue with tight calves, no matter how much I stretched. After week with the roller i never had problems again

Sooty and Rocket River like this.
  3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Shoot Chris Paul a DM, or that cheerleading coach Ozell Williams.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you live in Austin or Dallas?

I guarantee this will help.

https://kaiutyoga.com/schools/

I just completed 30 days for $30 (going 3-4 times per week), and my life has changed.

This is not really yoga, but more physical therapy, with no real strenuous exercise or sweating. What it has done to my entire left side (from neck to shoulder to hip and through the knee/hamstring to the heal) is miraculous. When ppl say "muscle rollers" work, this practice is 1000% more effective. It teaches you to relax your muscles in proper skeletal positions and then let your body heal itself.

Some Brazilian who studied many different physical approaches to mobility, therapy and body healing developed it recently. He's calling it Yoga for the marketing, but lying on your back with your legs up on a wall and your hands behind your head isn't really yoga. That's primarily all you do, with some sitting poses, and the most difficult stuff is just straps around your feet, elevating your legs.

#4 heypartner, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  5. Asian Sensation

Acupuncture. 2-3 sessions should have you back to 100%

mikol13 likes this.
  6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I have this same issue. Do you have a desk job or recently travel long distance in a sitting position? That is when my issues flare up. Also, I don't think my bed is helping either.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’m a big fan of foam rolling and the pressure a lacrosse ball can provide. Also if your hamstrings hurt, strengthening adjacent muscles should help too.

Sooty and xaos like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They are weak. You can strengthen them with good mornings using low weight high rep sets.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

EGO recently posted a postgame routine on IG which includes 4 different exercises for hamstring focus

Jontro likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Interesting, I like the rollers etc, but you think this helps even more? How long did it take you to notice some results?

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Do you play for the Texans or the Astros?

conquistador#11 and Jontro like this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Just to piggyback on this, I've been dealing with chronic hip flexor/groin issues as well as Achilles tendonitis (opposite legs) for months now. The tendonitis has only recently gotten worse, but the hip flexor/groin issue is constant every time I play sports (basketball and football). Any suggestions or recs on stretches/at-home exercises I can do? Getting old is a mother****er.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wrong thread

14. ROXTXIA

Yep. Desk job. My feet started bothering me when my orthotics wire down. Achy feet, less walking, more sitting. Weak / tight hamstrings? Vicious cycle.

15. ROXTXIA

Thanks. I'm thinking this has a lot to do with it. Got sedentary when my feet started bothering me and the already tight legs got weaker.

16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Robert Kraft recommends a place where they specialize in Hammy Endings......

Asian Sensation likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Did wonders on my back several years ago. I was shocked it worked as well and quickly as it did.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

Foam roll quads, calves

Strengthen glute meds (make sure the moves actually target the glute meds)

If you are to attempt any stretch do some dynamic moves/light warm up

Light to no impact

Gargle salt water

I lied about the last part, maybe

ROXTXIA likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Start doing all these little recommended stretches, keep doing them, and then after about a month or so start dating a yoga instructor.

Or then just start taking yoga, once a week or whatever works for you.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I had the same issue for months after I healed from a knee sprain I suffered when I went up for a layup and got undercut...fell with my left leg straight down vertically onto the court. I was basically out of commission for a month, and when I started playing again, my left hamstring had obviously been compensating, and I was in constant fear of pulling it. I tried a roller, doing a fully dedicated five minutes of stretching it before playing, balms and ointments, etc., and none of it worked. Nothing builds up the paranoia like playing ball while always feeling that your leg's about to snap.

Then I saw this fitness guy on Joe Rogan's podcast and he had a similar issue that he fixed in a week by using a fairly simple exercise:

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.