1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 23, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4-0 with an ERA of 2.36...I’ll take it

2. SemisolidSnake

He said in his postgame interview that he talked with Cole before the game about some stuff that he was able to implement into his performance tonight. Didn't say too much, but said that Gerrit gave him some insight into helping him get back to where he was earlier in the season staying much more away from the middle of plate. Said he talked with Greinke yesterday, and he picks up stuff from all the great pitchers around him whenever he can. It's a good sign.

He's also very well-spoken. Maybe, I haven't heard him interviewed properly, but he had a lot of good things to say. Also, his hair is currently white.

arkoe, everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  3. mick fry

mick fry Member

I’ll take it too but to add to the stats he’s given up 27 hits, walked 7, hit 1 and struck out 15 in 25 innings.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

Has a big name brand, and good results. But not my first choice in terms of pitching style. If we win the WS I won't be disappointed, but I much prefer the high K, low WHIP power guys (a la JV and Cole). If we don't win the WS this year or next, this trade could potentially become regrettable. At least AZ ate some decent $$$, but still a lot of payroll added. But for now I'll stay optimistic.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With his approach, teams can get hits off him.

But much like trying to beat the shift, hitters are going to end up mostly settling for singles or just trying to put the ball in play.... and it’s when they try to kill the ball, it more than likely works in Greinke’s favor.

Zack does have to be pin point on his command. He hasn’t made too many mistakes, but the ones he has have been punished.

mick fry likes this.
  6. CrazyJoeDavola

Was at the game last night and got this photo:
    [​IMG]

Nook, everyday eddie, leroy and 2 others like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Greinke is one of the best in the game at preventing hits, usually.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In a world where every hitter goes up trying to do what they normally do, yes.

The Angels intentionally altered their approach last night... they got some insignificant hits (mostly with nobody on base). I'd imagine the metrics don't support the "contact at all costs" approach, just like the metrics don't support "beat the shift at all cost" approach.

And Greinke's fastball command seems to be slightly off, which I'm sure is also leading to more contact/hits than he's accustomed to.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You said teams, not Angels. Angels are a high contact team. Not sure they altered their approach at all. Angels got lucky with some weak contact becoming hits, but than is more bad luck and is more on Angels doing good than anything about Greinke.

10. AstrosRockets1818

Some of the Greinke talk is just cluelessness.
    Same 2 idiots with high post counts that don’t know ****.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But you do understand the concept of teams altering their approach to improve contact, whereby sacrificing extra-base power, correct? The Angels being a "high contact" team includes approaches that encompass beating shifts, going the opposite way, beating out grounders, etc... things that could conceivably be easier against pitchers like Greinke, Keuchel, Miley, etc.

Greinke, with sub-par stuff, will still get outs... and hitters will often get themselves out trying to do something more with his corner/edge of zone pitches. He certainly does need sound defense and less "bad luck" behind him, things that have his Astros numbers slightly more elevated than his career numbers.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get that to a degree. I don't think Angel's did anything extra ordinary to justify your overreaching comment that Greinke's approach allows teams to gets hits off him. It looked like a subpar start by Greinke that he was still good enough to minimize the damage. I doubt the Angels unlocked a magical formula to get hits off Greinke.

mick fry likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jeez... you're the one overreaching about I said.

Trying to intentionally make contact with Greinke's stuff is not a magical formula. He wants you to do that. It was perceived by another poster that he's sucked here because of some of the extra traffic lately. I was trying to diffuse that. I'm confused as to what you're trying to do...

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am going to the game today with my wife. Any ideas on how early I should be there in order to get a bobblehead (1st 15,000 fans) and watch BP? Hoping 90 minutes (4:30) early is enough.

15. AstrosRockets1818

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Who said sucked? I said his pitching has been underwhelming which is true for the short stint he’s been here considering his resume. Am I wrong in not thinking that 35 runners on base of his own doing in 25 innings is great pitching?

17. AB423

AB423 Member

now, heard the line is packed

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I knew he was going to hit that screen one day...

everyday eddie, J.R. and Bear_Bryant like this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Shut up Nick.

20. conquistador#11

Hinch called it 'masterful' pitching that we're basically spoiled by the Verlander and Cole guy.