1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Forrest Whitley @ Arkansas: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 9 K, 88 pitches (49 strikes)

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Really glad to see he righted the ship.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

now lets trade him for Realmuto. I am kidding!

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Don't kid. Lots of people wanted that trade.

Not sure where he will figure into the top prospect list. Maybe top 30?

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

i wonder if they would have pulled the trigger for realmuto or yelich is they knew what they had in alvarez. either of those guys would have made us a lock for world series (provided health)
    but they would have also ensured that we would suck in like 2 years

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yelich absolutely, I would have traded Tucker and Whitley if I had any clue he was gonna become the ballplayer he has. Nobody saw that coming.

But is Realmuto a significant upgrade over Chirinos? One more year of team control sure, but I don't think he makes us noticeably better in 2019.

And even with both guys, we aren't a lock for the WS. Nobody is ever a lock for the WS, the baseball playoffs don't work that way. If it did teams would be a lot more loose with their prospects.

everyday eddie, BigM and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Oh ****ing horsesh!t

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Realmuto has been worth 3 wins more than Chirinos so far this season. That equates to $20-$30M. It’s looking like Realmuto would have been worth one of Whitley or Tucker.

eliefor3 likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Realmuto may be able to put up value that is worth Whitley or Tucker straight up. However, Grandal was a free agent. Astros could have signed Grandal and Chirinos, traded Reddick with a prospect, used Straw as the RF, and kept Whitley and Tucker. Realmuto on an average team is better than Grandal, but Grandal's value plays up on Astros as higher OBP adds more value to teams with above average middle of the order lineups.

If we are going to pine over what Astros could have done, that's what I would pine over. That and trading Tucker for Yelich. Even Steven trades, not really.

#2609 Joe Joe, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    eliefor3 and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Definitely. I said trading Tucker straight up (or without another top prospect) would have been a no-brainer just based on his Marlins numbers because that was basically the type of player I saw Tucker as becoming. But now that he is Barry Bonds? Yeah...

Nook and Joe Joe like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Of all the trade rumors with Tucker, I think this is the scenario at the time that I would have done.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It all came down to money as always. The Astros tried to trade Reddick this winter to keep Morton and the prospect cost was very high at the time. Teams either wanted the Astros to pay down a sizable portion of the two years on his contract or they wanted too many prospects.

It came down to Brantley or Morton and the Astros went for the bat. The Astros also had interest in Grandal but as a contingency.

13. vince

vince Member

Brantley has been stellar, he earned an all star appearance, he’s been playing exceptionally well from the beginning of the season up to now. I think the Astros were really hoping that Verlander, Cole, Miley, Peacock, and McHugh could carry the load until Whitley was ready to step up. Plus there was James who pitched great last year.

The Astros had a solid plan and executed it. I doubt the Astros or anyone foresaw Morton becoming a front runner Cy Young candidate. If so, Astros could have given him a qualifying contract.

At the end it’s turned great for Morton and the Astros, both are thriving.

But Morton who locked down game 7’s in the Astros first World Series title, should have had a chance to be a top 3 starter on this team. He will be forever remembers in Astros history.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros did not have the finances to sign Morton and had to make a choice between Morton or Brantley. I am not criticizing the choice they made.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

forgot about grandal, yah you are right that's the do-over that I would pick too

16. Buck Turgidson

Holy ****, has the Guduan story behind his suspension been posted anywhere here yet?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not that I've seen. Why he's still on roster, I don't know.

18. Buck Turgidson

So, some background here right quick. We here at Astros County don't do this kind of thing terribly often. We knew that Brad Ausmus had interviewed back in August 2012 for the managerial position that went to Bo Porter. McTaggart refuted the rumor the next day. Then we were vindicated by Ken Rosenthal about a month later. Point is, we don't Break News terribly often. That said, it was reported on August 4 that Reymin Guduan was suspended for the remainder of the season for a "disciplinary issue." Luhnow said:
    [Guduan] broke our team rules and is being disciplined because of it.

On August 10 there was a report that the suspension would go through the rest of the minor-league season, which ends at the beginning of September, but could possibly be called up once rosters expand. Luhnow indicated that the team had not decided if he would be reinstated.

So here's the situation as recounted to us by a source with knowledge of the situation and not denied by multiple relevant parties:

Dean Deetz is a little bit of a character, and talks a lot of smack. He was giving Reymin Guduan The Bidness about not being able to throw a strike. Guduan responded by throwing a shoe at Deetz and missed (badly, apparently), to which Deetz responded "See?" That is legitimately funny. What happened next is not. Guduan picked up a bat, swung it, and hit Deetz in the head. Guduan apparently didn't get a great swing on it, but "it definitely dazed" Deetz.

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz." No one called the police, but the Astros did suspend Guduan. That, by any standard of the law, is assault. You'll notice on Round Rock's website that Dean Deetz did not pitch between July 26 and August 5, which was a span of eight games in nine days.

Whether or not that Guduan pitches with his left arm, with varying degrees of success, should qualify him for helping the Astros in September and in the playoffs is up to you.

http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/08/the-reason-reymin-guduan-was-suspended.html?m=1

everyday eddie and eric.81 like this.
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Umm... how is he still on the roster??

20. Buck Turgidson

I'm guessing there's legal and procedural reasons why.

I don't see how he could/would/should ever put on a Houston uniform again.

eric.81 likes this.