1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair is the problem. Cheap ass owner that needs to sell the team

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IBTL, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How are you cheap when you max out cap space?

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

how does this dummy have any rep on his record?

a) can't outspend the cap

b) even if you could, are you advocating having a payroll 20x the rest of the league? Is it Yankees or "f this owner, he sucks" ?

One of the stupidest threads I've seen

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I can't believe that much time was spent on that much dumb.

5. So Good

So Good Member

I echo all the sane people's comments and would like to add that Bob McNair is a hands off kind of owner. He hires his guys and lets them handle the football part of the business.

The only time I can remember him stepping in is when he hired Wade Phillips.

This is an idiotic thread. Bob McNair is one of the best owners in the NFL. Would you rather have Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, Ralph Wilson, the late Al Davis (now Mark Davis, who is TBD), the Fords up in Detroit, Randy Lerner, Mike Brown, Clark Hunt, Stephen Ross, Bill Bidwell and Bud Adams?!?

6. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

i needed only a few glances at the opening post to see that this was the dumbest thread in some time. glad i didnt waste my time reading the whole thing. IBTL.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

QFT

Ferrari...out

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know if McNair is cheap or not, but I do want to point out that spending at the salary cap does not automatically imply that the owner is willing to spend at all cost. Only player salaries are limited by CBA rules. All other spending are at the discretion of the owner.

Some things that you can spend money on which are not affected by the cap.

1. Coaches salaries. Not just the HC, but also coordinators and position coaches. That said, spending more on coaches doesn't imply better results. See Redskins for example of too many chefs posing a problem.

2. Scouting department. In addition to what people feel are traditional scouting, also in-game scouting. Real-time breakdown of opposing plays and find ways to counter them. In this sense, I feel many other teams do better than the Texans, who are incredibly steadfast in doing the same things over and over, rather than adjusting in game. Of course, I'm not professional, so I can be wrong.

3. Training. Getting players in shape, offseason work, film study, etc. I have no clue how the Texans fare in this area. Although I do remember Phillips saying how Kareem Jackson had horrible techniques when he came in.

4. Analytics department. Not sure how other NFL teams fare here, but the Texans seem incredibly ultra conservative rather than playing the percentages. I'm sure there were more than a few plays where being aggressive is the better percentage play, even at the risk of a terrible outcome. Perhaps would've been better served against top teams where you have to take chances.

I'm sure there are other aspects too. But certainly, there are many areas a team can improve that has no correlation with player salaries. Whether or not McNair is willing to spend in other areas? I have no clue.

9. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

I'll take McNair any day over the car salesman to the north that throws stupid money at losers and future ex-cons, while stubbornly clinging to the idea that Tony Romo will be Troy Aikman when he grows up. Jerry Jones believes he is always just one brilliant decision away from a Super Bowl, continously putting a mediocre team on the field, and never letting anyone control a thing but him.
    The fool has his hand in everything that is going on and only attracts coaches that are pleading for an opportunity. And even then, they will have to be someone who is willing to be a rubber stamp.
    No, those that have been in this town remember what it was like to have an idiot for an NFL owner and, for all his shortcomings, McNair is light years past him.

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

McNair has his shortcomings, but he is FAR from the biggest problem with this team. I think he's been pretty decent. Now if he gets as bad as ex-Astros owner Drayton McLane - then maybe I'll rethink my position.

I prefer McNair anyday over say...Jerry Jones. I don't like owners who are too hands-on.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Ask the players if he's cheap, and I mean the behind the scenes stuff like travel, locker room, etc. They'd laugh at this ridiculous thread.

Inner Looper out.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Salary Cap is in place. See kids, idiots can type.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

One shouldn't open their mouths nor should the type letters or symbols when they don't know WTF they are talking about.

The only continuous issue McNair and his family have really required in regards to the organization is demand a certain level of behavior and personal accountability from the personnel to maintain a good public image, which isn't that different from most successful teams such as the Steelers. He doesn't step in constantly like Jerry Jones or the late Al Davis nor does he make an arse of himself like Bud Adams.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

At least he doesn't change our championship uniforms and logo and make us a noob-friendly running team :p

Signed, -Les

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

IBTL should be a rookie for his remaining days on Clutchfans for this idiotic thread. It's OK to disagree with moves that an owner makes, but to call McNair cheap, as everyone has pointed out is just plain stupid. No owner gets it right all the time, it's always a guessing game. I'm not happy with some of the moves the Texans have made. But, the reason we even have a team today is because McNair pulled off a near miracle by getting a team in Houston. I also feel that McNair would do anything possible to improve the team. We may not always agree with the decisions McNair makes, but I know that he is doing everything he can to build a winner.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mcnair isn't the problem because he is cheap. He's a problem because he is loyal to a fault.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cheap seemed to be too harsh. Incompetent is more fitting.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't think he is cheap at all; more like too generous. If I were in his shoes I would be kicking butts and taking names. Kubiak would never had been hired and Schaub would have never been signed. They sure wouldn't have been extended. He is Mr. Easy. Mr. Too Easy.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Junior needs to be willing to drop the axe when necessary. Ownership is way way too lenient. The very fact that BoB's job is probably safe unless the Texans completely bottom out is damning.