1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trent Williams Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

new phone who dis?

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yet somehow we got sht on them by playoffs. Whats your point? We got division title yet lost to them 1-2 overall. Hate fans that like 2 bring up the mediocre division title like it means something then proceed to ignore texans lack of success in playoffs.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Mediocre division?....I think not.

Not going to get into this again but the afc south is one of the toughest divisions in football.

4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

hate is a strong word
    why cant you be happy that they are happy?

winning the division is not a reason to throw a party but it is an accomplishment considering we prob have to do that in order to make the playoffs and I would rather make the playoffs than not, even if it means losing in round 1

Hey Now! likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U have homerism googles on, go on lets see your ranking of the nfl divisions. I have

1. Nfc north
    2. Afc north
    3. Nfc south

The rest are pretty debatable. One of the toughest? Not really, it is competitive Since we are all similar in levels of mediocrity.

#145 DatRocketFan, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Hence y this franchise is mediocre, its fine just getting in playoffs just to get blown out. We have a lot of star power but a lot of weakness as well (oline, rushing, cornerbacks, tight ends, time management). I rather we rebuild correctly under a new coach who isnt completely wasting the prime of our players.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The maths:

There are 32 NFL teams.

12 of the 32 NFL teams make the playoffs.

An "average" NFL does not make the playoffs.

csj, Hey Now!, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um look at the records last season. AFC South had 2 teams make the playoffs and 1 just missed out.

No Worries and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Some random sports gambling site.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What?... Most teams that lavishly spend in free agency 1) are not very good; 2) regret it. That was my original premise and you've done absolutely nothing to disprove it, other than continually moving the goal posts.

The Colts had more cap space and still had an offseason very similar to the Texans' offseason: they avoided enormous contracts; signed buy-low veterans; scoured for cheap players with potential. I'm not arguing the Texans had a *good* offseason (we'll see) - just that their approach is very similar to the vast majority of playoff teams.

12. gucci888

Damn.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

I have no doubt Bill Belichick and Tom Brady would probably find a way to win *any* division... but notice how no one ever brings up how bad the AFC East is to disqualify their success?...

Since 2002, the Bills, Dolphins and Jets have combined to post 15 winning seasons; just seven with 10+ wins. That's out of 51! The Patriots are 80-22 against their division - a 13-win pace. Let that sink in. The Patriots, since 2002, have, more or less, started every season *at a minimum*, 5-1.

"BUT THE PATRIOTS WIN SUPER BOWLS!" Yeah; when you're gifted home field advantage and byes by virtue of a weak division very nearly every year, it makes winning Super Bowls a WHOLE lot easier.

But no one ever says a word about it... But you can set your watch to the "YEAH, BUT"ers being out IN FORCE whenever the Texans win theirs.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I have brought that up before in a previous argument. Thats why I had said I didn’t want to go there again in my previous post.

The pats and other teams are gifted 6 wins easily from their division alone.

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

I mean... it is a BIG deal. The Patriots are 30-4 against Buffalo since 2002. 30-4! And it's not entirely because the Patriots are great. The Bills have 3 winning seasons during that 17-year stretch - all with 9 wins. They have not won 10+ games since the 2002 expansion.

All credit to New England - easy or not, you still have to win the games and they've done it. But they have won 5 or 6 division games 10 times in the past 17 years and they've NEVER won fewer than 4.

If you can start the year with 5 wins... you only need to be 5-5 in your remaining 10 to win 10.
    If you can start the year with 6 wins... you only need to be 4-6 in your remaining 10 to win 10.

That is a significant advantage. The AFC South has been pretty doggone competitive for the vast majority of the Texans' history, including 10 years of prime Peyton Manning.

raining threes, csj and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Redskins probably feel that pick will be in the 28 to 32 area. Theres probably a team they can gamble on to be bad based on track record and SoS ... that nets them a top 10 pick.

17. Hey Now!

Maybe... but teams that are likely to trade for a 31-year old LT are probably going to be good - or, at least, think they'll be good. And adding Williams should only make them better. I mean, if they're hoping the Bills will deal for him... i mean, probably not going to happen.

18. gucci888

That’s a pretty big gamble on their part. A 1st rounder, even a late one, is a damn good return for a disgruntled 31 year old OT.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

this franchise is mediocre because
    1) we have a owner who is not willing to take risks
    2) we play in a conference that is dominated by the Patriots in the last decade.

If all of us were super pissed all the time about the Texans only making it to the playoffs and having the most wins in franchise history, we would still be mediocre. The idea that "fans" can shape the decision of owners, who make majority of their money from corporations and tv deals, doesn't really hold up in my opinion