1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Spider-Man: Far from Home

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 15, 2019.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I hate the prospect of losing Spidey as much as everyone else, I hate the Mouse trying to railroad everybody.

Not only does Marvel get to keep all merchandising revenue and TV rights. They also get to use Spidey free of charge in their team up movies. For them to want 50% of the movie revenue on top of that is BS.

Disney was benefiting plenty from this partnership, now they want to change the agreement to the point Sony barely benefits financially (if at all) and act like Sony is the bad guy. I still think money will prevail and both sides will realize they suffer to lose financially pursuing this path, but maybe not.

Sony certainly should cede some of the profits to Marvel, but not 50%

#141 sealclubber1016, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Jontro and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

5% of the FIRST WEEK ONLY .. . not 5% of the total Movie

Harden use to be on a rookie contract .. . . then it expired
    Now he is on a 200+ Million dollar contract
    The original contract expired. . . Disney proved their worth . . . now they want a raise

Rocket River

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not worth my time...

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The recent Spiderman movies were MCU centric. They might need to just reboot. Into the spider verse might have been one of the best Comic book movie movies period. Spiderman 1 and 2 were very good. If Marvel can make Iron man successful who basically has no good villains successful, I am sure sony can make spiderman good. Spiderman has the best rogue gallery in comic book land.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. itzIce

itzIce Member

Probably why they decided to "reveal" who Spiderman was in the post credit scene as a "just in case" and play off that in a future Marvel film.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sony does not own spider-man. They just own the film rights. Spider-man is still the property of Disney/Marvel. It just sucks that Sony makes crap spider-man movies other than spider-verse.

arkoe and tinman like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We've seen your threads, you have plenty of time.

arkoe and Blatz like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Disney still can't use SpiderMan in the parks in Florida...they can elsewhere, though.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

says someone with 30,000 posts...

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I hate to say this but I'm siding with Disney on this.

Kevin Feige is the only reason Spiderman movies are any good and are still relevant in pop culture, especially after the trash Avi Arad and Amy Pascal produced with The Amazing Spiderman 2, which bombed so badly that it prematurely killed Sony's entire cinematic universe.

Sony should be on its knees thanking Marvel Studios for doing their homework for free; creating the best screen version of Peter Parker with Tom Holland, incorporating him in the MCU seamlessly, and giving him emotional depth and a great mentor relationship with Tony Stark. Without Marvel and Feige, Sony would be cranking out more "turd in the wind" versions of Spidey, not cashing in on a billion dollar movie franchise.

This is the kind of stuff that makes Bob Iger get out of bed in the morning with a raging boner looking to buy another movie studio for cash.

In 5 years, Sony will be a subsidiary of Disney, Spiderman will truly come home to Marvel Studios, and we will finally have the Spiderman / X-Men crossover movie we have all waited for our entire lives.

Invisible Fan and rhino17 like this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Are you stupid or just ignorant? I shouldn't have to do this for anyone with a working internet, but:

Spiderman: 821M
    Spiderman 2: 783M
    Spiderman 3: 890M
    Amazing Spiderman: 757M
    Amazing Spiderman 2: 709M
    Spiderman: Homecoming: 880M

It was hardly a flop. THIS was a flop.

Ghostbusters (1984): $295M (in 1984 dollars)
    Ghostbusters (for the ladies and SJW's): $229M (in 2016 dollars)

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

What's up with with the name-calling?

Am I stupid or are you just an internet reactionary cherry picking box office numbers to stir up debate?

Spider-Man Franchise (domestic gross)
    1. Spider-Man: $403,706,375
    2. Spider-Man: Far From Home: $377,474,576
    3. Spider-Man 2: $373,585,825
    4. Spider-Man 3: $336,530,303
    5. Spider-Man: Homecoming: $334,201,140
    6. The Amazing Spider-Man: $262,030,663
    7. The Amazing Spider-Man 2: $202,853,933
    8. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: $190,241,310
    It doesn't take an internet genius like yourself to figure out TASM 2 performed terribly at the domestic box office when it only made half of what the original Spider-Man made and is still the lowest grossing live action Spider-Man movie to date.

Furthermore, TASM 2 barely doubled its opening weekend of $91,608,337. That's a terrible multiplier for a tentpole summer blockbuster movie, which is an indication of audience dislike and bad word-of-mouth, hence the terrible box office legs.

Sure, TASM 2 made $500 million from China and elsewhere, but in Hollywood -- domestic is still king. Studios make movies catered to the taste of the American teenager, not the sensibilities of the Chinese middle class. Yes, there is pandering to China, but overall America is still the trendsetter in all things pop culture and cinema. That's why this whole franchise was cancelled even though Sony was trying damn hard to build momentum with the Rhino reveal at the end.

In pure Hollywood accounting, TASM 2 may have been financially profitable, but it derailed the prospects of Sony ever creating a Marvel type cinematic universe. The Amazing Spider-Man series got progressively worse at the domestic box office and Sony had to pull the plug.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not when you're Sony. The President apparently put the kibosh on 3 because Garfield missed a public promotion and embarrased him.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

tinman likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe the Japanese execs will fly in again and talk some sense into the dumb Americans.

tinman likes this.
  19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, this news is terrible. What a horrible move by Sony. Horrible. My 13-year-old son was genuinely saddened by this news.

Boneheads. I hope this is posturing, Japan-style. Get. Your. ****. Together. Sony. Look at what the last Fantastic Four and X-Men movies did outside of the MCU. Tanked, hard.