1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iko Exclusive: P.J. Tucker confident in signing a new deal— “Its now. It’s time for my extension"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Aug 20, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Let's be nice.
    Sometimes it is about nice owner and rewards. He has been underpaid by 50 million in 5 years.
    I would give him 2 years extension @ total 19 million.

Why did it take so long for Gordon's extension?
    Gordon is not MDA, Capela, Ariza or House.
    Gordon has a big market that Tilman won't be able to match in June 30.

Let's say Gordon put a 4 years 109 million contract on Tilman's desk in July 2, .....

Championship or profit?

#61 BigBum, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Simple answer from Tilman to Tucker: for sure we will talk in 2021 about your new deal, as for now enjoy your ride. We got Westbrook, wonderful times ahead of us.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

How has he been underpaid? He was a Unrestricted free agent and thats the contract his market dictated... And there is no way in hell id give Gordon $100 million.

Imo we need to get younger not be overpaying for role players past thier prime.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the market didn't dictate it. he decided to take less to play here, turning down bigger offers

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think we overrate PJ's impact on the team. I know that sounds negative and that's not my goal. I love PJ and want him on the team. But at times it feels like many around here thinks he's untouchable or something. In reality, the Rockets desperately need a "real" PF. Again, not to downplay PJ. When things break his way, he can give you 10+ rebounds for example. But across the season, he's a poor rebounding PF. He's offensively limited to basically one shot. He's great defensively in that he's a defensive leader and provides some defensive versatility, but again is hurt by his height.

If the Rockets had a top 15 PF for example, I'd happily sign PJ to a short extension, and be able to use him off the bench in multiple positions, or even start him at SF. As of right now, no.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

This would sound a lot better if top 15 pf’s line up to play for Houston and fit what they need them to do. In reality, it doesn’t happen. So that absolutely needs to be taken into account.

7. smp

smp Member

Tilman wants to extend the time between payments, so he wants an extension too.

8. macan

macan Member

got a feeling, PJ ain't gonna get what he wants and end up being like P.Bev 2.0...
    #tilboy is broke

9. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

He's been underpaid for years. Doing right by him would be giving him at least $12M/season - but how much extra is a smart GM going to give an aging player just to be "nice"??

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't be mad about that; but I suspect he's going to want more. His career is wrapping up and he's never had a massive pay day.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i think its more geared towards the fact that hes only guaranteed $2.5 mil after this year. i mean who wouldn't want to secure a better outlook, especially taking into account how important he is for this team. its really just common sense to address it. and not really seeing some massive pay day hes looking for rather than having more of a longer term outlook.

Iko already mentioned earlier in the summer the rockets want him to retire here and already mentioned remaining in the organization in some capacity once hes done

Deckard likes this.
  12. Williamson

I'd love that but I'm worried he'll go the Trevor Ariza route. Honestly, I would if I were him.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

ariza already has a ring. he can chase the money really cause hes already experienced it at this point. PJ hasn't and its obvious what his mo is. otherwise he wouldn't have taken the pay cut to come here in the first place and chase the money a long time ago. but that also doesn't mean playing for pennies and not being smart about securing a future a bit longer

14. fattz

fattz Member

Don’t extend him; bonus the hell out of him for a championship win. Everyone wins that way. He signed the contract if it was the other way he would want his pay (see Chris Paul).

Paying him his bonus will be money well spent and super PR.

Mazulis likes this.
  15. Williamson

If I had to choose between inter-generational wealth and a ring it's not much of a decision. It's easy for guys who have a couple max contracts under the belts to make the decision to chase the ring. I'm not sure it's that easy for PJ.

#75 Williamson, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Nook and HP3 like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure but thats just you which is fine. that's your own decision. doesn't mean everyone else has the same mentality

17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Give him what he wants but on a short contract.

18. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Ariza with ring made over $100 million. Still chasing $

Tucker with no ring and made only $42 million.

Both are 35 this season
    Tucker likes shoes and dress fancy

I would expect him to try to get da money
    $$$ bill y'all. Cash rules everything around him. Da money

Williamson likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's being sarcastic.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

You make good points honestly. But if we arent getting, Iguodala or whoever, then yea I dont see why not. PJ Tucker imo means a lot to this franchise and to the team. How many times does he have to deliver in the biggest moments for him to get paid.

He needs to go into the tax so he can make all of these moves, I dont care about Tilman's finances at all. If he couldnt handle buying an nba team than he shouldnt have bought the team.

Its a tough choice but if EG is holding out for more money and its between Rivers and Tucker, than I have to go with Tuck.

I acknowledge that realistically though, it wont happen cause our ownership sucks.