1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Former UT back Cedric Benson killed in motorcycle crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyJoeDavola, Aug 18, 2019.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yeah same here. She is a friend of the family. Absolutely horrible.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I never said it wasn't stupid. There is reason I don't own a bike anymore. I've done too many stupid things on them and the fact that I've never been involved in an accident is pure stupid luck. I've had tons of near misses.

Buck Turgidson, CCity Zero and leroy like this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man that's insane. I'm glad it worked out much better under the circumstances, I've been doing that a lot more lately, creeping out, especially late at night in Austin (not saying bad drivers as this can happen anywhere) just prefer to make sure no one running the light (especially if I'm in front or first etc.).

Deckard likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, that's wild, near misses are when you should go buy a lotto ticket. And while I'd love to own a bike and ride the winding roads around here or ride out on 1431, it's the drivers I'm worried about, hell a deer could even make it a very bad combo.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A motorcyclist got killled this Saturday morning on kingwood drive. Eery feeling that I talked to the driver and then this thread pops up. I dont even want to discuss details.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They said that the van was trying to turn onto 2222 from mt bonnell road

8. rockbox

I'm not going to even mention how fast I've ridden down 1431. Let's just say very few cars that don't cost 6-7 figures are capable of going that fast.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. rockbox

That has happened to me on multiple occasions. People just don't see you and it's hard to judge how fast that light is coming at you. That is something you have to be hyper aware of when riding, especially at night.

tinman likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not the easiest intersections there. Doesn't excuse the van driver if he was at fault, but 2222 isn't perfectly flat to either side of some of those intersections, and vegetation/plant life that can also obscure perfect sight lines.

As a parent with multiple young kids, I just don't drive out at night that much anymore anyway. And when I do, I've noticed my either (1) my eyesight isn't as good as it was (even with eye checks), or (2) it was always "harder" to see at night than I even thought and as a young person you just don't care as much.

Assuming the minivan driver was also a parent not out at night driving a ton, a motorcycle might be confusing/easy to miss, etc. Especially if it was travelling at high rate of speed.

And of course it should be noted that Benson has had numerous incidents of being detained for DUI.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looking at the pictures of the motorcycle on fire, I'm assuming he was not going slowly. He posted a picture of his BMW motorcycle too. It looked like the fast type not a cruiser.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I rode day or night, rain or shine for a number of years in both Houston and Austin. So many close calls it's not funny. They say it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you'll have an accident if you ride daily. People in cars often get distracted or just don't see motorcyclists. It definitely got worse with the advent of cell phones.

RIP Cedric

13. rockbox

Fact!