1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Booooo!

I hope this means that he just won't actually marry any of the girls, not that he won't have relationships with them.

2. malakas

malakas Member

The casting looks great.
    I have read every book and I thought Sanderson did a horrible job.
    Hated the last books completely because of his writing it changed the atmosphere of the story.
    They should have chosen someone who was more stylistically similar to Jordan instead of such a vastly different author. It's not like Jordan died unprepared he had tons of things written down of how the story should finish.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I thought Sanderson did fine with the last couple of books. He had to clean up the mess Jordan left with the previous 3-4 where he had written himself into a dreary, never ending flow of new characters nobody cared about. Sanderson had to tie that up and then close out the series.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sounds like GRRM, tbh. A large reason he might never finish ASoIaF.

5. DarkHorse

Sanderson is definitely a better plotter, but Jordan was vastly superior with his characters.

I don't know, I think of it as a necessary evil. Sanderson was able to cover a lot of ground and tie a lot of things up that needed tying.

But the story did lose a lot of it's heart in the process. (and Mat was bungled pretty badly in the Gathering Storm, although it got better)

6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Pretty sure they're going to go the vanilla monogamous route. The series showrunner sounds very SJWish so the latter route would be too "Toxic Masculine" for them.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Yup thank you!
    Matt my most favourite, had become a completely new character.
    I read the books without knowing at first that the author was changed and was like wtf is going on. Is this the Matt I know?
    Complete butchering.
    Sanderson is a good author on his own, but his job wasn't to write his own story but to finish another's life long work.
    Keeping the same characters should be priority number 1.
    He didn't come up with how the story ought to be finished on his own either, he had detailed notes.

Not at all.
    Jordan wrote a book every year or every two years at the end.
    If he was at the pace of GRRM we would still be at book 3 .
    It's not his fault he got an aggresive cancer and died but he was fully prepared for his series to be completed after death. He left instructions, notes and details for the author chosen by his wife to complete the books. Extremely responsible to his long time readers.

I just don't think the choice of Sanderson was appropriate. They should have picked someone who was more able to copy Jordan's style.

I mean you can't change the character of the protagonists after 15 years and 9 books! That is a faux pas.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny. Matt was my favorite character too. I, like many, stopped reading around book 9. I think even though Jordan was still writing, Matt seemed like a different character. There were only little glimmers of the old Matt. I never went back and finished it, so I can't comment on anything Sanderson did with the series.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I like the idea of finishing the series. Doing it is something else though. I got to book 6 or so. At this point I would almost have to start over. I barely remember anything at this point.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

I read the whole series in one month that's also why the antithesis of the writing style to me was striking.

If I read them slower or had to wait for them to finish in between I wouldn't remember what's going on either.
    In fact I still needed to look up a list of the wtiches from time to time to remember some minor characters.

During Jordan's book the main protagonists did change, but it was in a natural way of them growing up from kids to adults accepting responsibillities and maturing.
    Matt for example wasn't so childish anymore however in Sanderson's books he all of a sudden acquired completely different dimensions in his character like becoming more vulnerable and sensitive.

It's been a while so not sure about it, but the thing I liked the most about the final books were the tower of the Elfinns.
    I wish it was even further expanded.

Maybe the wheel of time will be more suited for television because it's easier to remember tv characters than book characters.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who knows? I hope the series is good.

I remember when I first started reading it, I wasn't sold. I thought, 'Oh great, another humble farm boy who is somehow destined to save the world fantasy story.' I felt like for the most part, it was a retelling of a dozen series that had come before. But the characters kind of kept me interested. By the end of the first book and the second book, I had a new appreciation. There were still moments in each book that annoyed me. Yet, it was always worth it for me to keep reading. The books, starting with six were more and more annoying with less payoff for the time spent reading. So eventually I gave up.

I'm tempted to go back and read them all again before the television series comes out.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

14. DarkHorse

15. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Oops. Totally not trolling just not paying attention to what I saw. I'll baleet it, though I guess too late for that. Sorry about that.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. SemisolidSnake

Haven't read the books, but I greatly respect that Robert Jordan heavily prepared for being unable to finish the series. When I inhaled Dune a few years ago, I was all eager to read the next books in the series...until I found out that Frank Herbert died having written two books of a planned trilogy. Ok, that sucked my motivation, but, wait, what's this about his son having some of his notes and possibly being able to finish out the story? Let me look into this more...OH MY GOD, Brian Herbert, WTF did you and Kevin J. Anderson do to your father's legacy?! And you never even actually have any real info about your father's wishes for the last book? Yet, you still used the possibility of that to keep fans and publishers on tenterhooks for like half a dozen or more books first before writing your own two-book conclusion to what your father started. And from what I hear, those books suck. **** you and the KJA you rode in on.

Also, as much as GRRM likes to piss on the fanbase that wants him to just do his ****ing job, it needs to be accepted that he's totally never going to finish ASoIaF. I never read it, but I enjoyed GoT right up until the point where I realized I could never be invested in anything ever (towards the end of the third season, easy to figure out what did it.) Still, I have righteous anger for the book fans and people who kept watching the show once it ran out of canon material.

malakas likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

The sequels are not good, but the prequels are pretty good and interesting. Maybe even better than some of Frank Herbert's own later books. Especially if you like the Harkonenns.

Jordan wasn't married to a reknown editor for nothing.Also he was given only 4 years to live (made it only 1) so he had to prepare, Herbert's death was more sudden ,from embolism.

19. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, I'm not faulting Frank. It's just a shame. I am faulting GRRM.

Thanks for the feedback on the Brian and KJA books. When I first went exploring, I, of course, found lots of criticism of ALL of them. Then in my very first D&D game, I was wearing the following shirt, and that's how I found out that my DM LOVES ALL of the Dune books. And, so with polar opposite opinions, I opted to do nothing. I would say that I'm probably most interested in the events preceding the events of the original book that are frequently mentioned in the original book like the Butlerian Jihad. I know BH and KJA have written books covering that stuff. I wasn't sure if those counted within your statement that the prequels are good.

[​IMG]
    https://www.pegasuspublishing.com/Decaf-is-the-MindKiller-Shirt-p-28575.html

20. malakas

malakas Member

ah I meant the Prelude to Dune prequel trilogy not the Legends of Dune. I haven't read that one so I don't have an opinion.
    The Prelude to Dune trilogy is about Lady Jessica, the Benne Gesserits eugene program,some mad scientist dwarf race and Baron Harkonnen. all known characters from Dune.

Maybe some time I will read the Legends of Dune too. But AI vs humans at F.Herbert's time it was pretty much inovating but in our days not so much. I have read already one too many scifi books about it written by much better authors than Brian and KJA. kinda yawny.

As you can tell my most favourite part of Dune originally was the mind games,the Benne Gesserits and the Baron and the wicked dwarves that's why I enjoyed and recommend the Prelude to Dune. These elements you can't find in other sci fi books easily but robots/AI vs humans there are already tiring. imo ofc.

Btw I absolutely did NOT love all the dune books and couldn't finish them. Frank's I mean. After a while it became too much of a tiring complex mess.

SemisolidSnake likes this.