1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Signs of potential recession popping up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Dec 31, 2018.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah but it's likely not going to crash tomorrow. Slowdowns happen. We are in a trade war so to not expect some blow back is insane. We will see some stress I imagine. That said is it worth standing up to China? You bet.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He will try to distance himself but he will have to own it because he took credit for the good times. He may not want to own it, but everyone will make him own it lol.

3. adoo

adoo Member

trump doesn't thinks so

that's why he pulled the US out of the TPP treaty

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

TPP was never agreed on so it wasn't pulled out of... it wasn't a good deal anyway. Go look at the extra court powers it gives corporations to override govts. It wasn't that great. Its affect on china is debatable too.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It is all trumps fault... no other factor at play here.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The farmers who went bankrupt due to the trade war likely question the worth.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Please tell me more. Make me a believer.

#128 No Worries, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Excellent point Chud.

dachuda86 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it would be interesting to see trump take the position publicly that we may enter a slowdown or a small recession because of this trade war but that it is necessary to take on China. He could get to cast himself as Churchill on the economy, fighting the fight no matter the cost.

That would be a worthy debate. All wars have casualties. Is this one worth it? Is it necessary? Would people be willing to see themselves as soldiers in this war?

That would be fascinating to me. I’m not even sure America could handle a real complicated issue like that and certainly don’t think Trump has the grasp of the facts, let alone the English language, to do it.

Still, would much rather have that debate than his childish ranting on the economy and foolishly blaming the fed

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt Trump can make the argument that it is worth entering a recession because of the trade war. Trump is always about short term gain and instant gratification. His brand, long before he entered politics, has never been about sacrifice for a greater good or longterm benefit.

Andre0087, mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol nice jab... but yeah he will bare a large part of the blame for sure

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, not at all. The impotent "tax cut," its further concentration of wealth, and its acceleration of federal deficit spending are also involved. But the crisis of student debt might be leading the way.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The student loan debt is a big hindrance, I had about $30,000 10 years ago but lucky enough to have finally paid it out. Thank God for the Houston oil industry...

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Happy for you, sincerely. We are free of school loans too.

New reports show that, on average, a student loan only gets paid down by 1% per year. Loans that will live for generations.

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

When has trump owned any fault (for anything) as the president? If it's out there, please post and I'd be happy to be educated.

With the economy, he simply blames the fed.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I mean people will blame him. I am not saying he will own it personally. He will have to if he is taking credit for the high points.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL

What guy have you been watching.

Nook likes this.
  20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

He has literally never owned blame for anything, and he never will. If you think there is one iota of a chance that he might, you haven’t been paying attention. He will absolutely take credit if the economy turns up, but will also absolutely blame the Fed, Obama and everything else if the economy goes down.