1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ew, you really want Iggy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Aug 16, 2019.

?

Do you want Iggy still?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

48.6%
  2. No

51.4%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

David West REALLY doesn't like the Rockets, Morey specifically.

lilbird20, HP3 and Deuce like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Calling Team ORtg once a player touches the ball is the definitive "Best Scorer" stat ... is "way overstating" that stat.

HP3 and T for 3 like this.
  3. heypartner

He only mentioned that counter-argument because he wants to stay in control of *his* definition of Best Scorer.

Essentially, Team ORtg once the player touches the ball is an arguable stat for Best Scorer,,,and I'm sure he *knows* that's a valid counter-argument; and quite frankly, it's an insult to statistics for him to not mention that there exists a valid counter-argument saying his very statistical definition might not be accurate.

HP3 likes this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Let's not pretend like if Morey compared some metric of Harden's to Hakeem's, and said Harden > Hakeem in that particular area, CF wouldn't immediately demand Morey be fired and Harden be waived and shipped to Antarctica.

Some of y'all are seriously mad that Iggy disagreed with a comparison of Harden to perhaps the greatest basketball player of all-time? This is no way to start the weekend. C'mon, man. Y'all better than this.

YOLO likes this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not like that's the only case, though. Jordan had one season in his entire career (1986-87) that he scored more points per game than Harden a year ago... and it was by 1 point, on more than three extra shot attempts per game. Harden was more efficient, and he also averaged nearly three more assists per game.

I understand there are counter-arguments, as does Daryl, but it's definitely not "ridiculous" to say what he said.

6. The Cat

Fair enough.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I care because it’s just nonsensical...Harden being a better scorer than MJ is just foolishness and he needs to stop it

lilbird20 likes this.
  8. heypartner

It is ridiculous to say Team ORtg once Player X touches the ball is the definition of who's the best scorer..."It's just factual."

You can't claim best definition when many statistical definitions exists and then say "It's just factual," and purposefully not mention other possible definitions when you know they exists. That's ridiculous.

[edit] just saw you're "fair enough" post ... apologies if I'm repeating myself.

lilbird20 and HP3 like this.
  9. The Cat

And we both know that's not why the person who referred to it as "ridiculous" and "foolishness" called it that, but whatever.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

best scorer in the game today...1 of the best scorers we’ve ever seen...best isolation player ever...stuff like that, I got u...I’ll be the 1st one to hype up Harden and speak on his greatness, but Harden being a straight up better scorer than MJ is just too foolish...especially when we see the clear difference once the playoffs hit

lilbird20 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

My understanding is that he believes he should get his money from the Grizzlies (literally almost all of it) and he should get to pick where he plays and when he plays. Obviously he potentially helps the Rockets on the wing (which we some how have not addressed) but I am not so sure he would jump through the hoops for the Rockets and he has always been extremely opinionated.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Responding here, but same response for ally our comments. Yes... agreed. He explained that its what he thinks should be used for best scorer. And of course there's counter arguments to it.

There's tons of reasons he should stop talking about it.

BUT, if he wants to keep talking about it, he should at least do it both in more detail, but in a way that a layman can understand. Eg... here's how I define best scorer. Here's why I think that's how it should be defined. Over the regular season, Harden has proven to be basically the best ever at that stat. If you don't like that stat to define best scorer, ok.

He could use an example of a guy who scores 0 points a game, but does so because he is quintuple-teamed all game. Instead only one of his teammates scorers every point. Say 115 ppg. Then who's the better scorer? Coincidentally, he can use that example and bring up the Davidson/Loyola game in 2008 where the Loyola coach was like triple teaming Curry all game. Curry scored 0, his teammate scored 20, but we know who the better scorer was. An extreme small sample size example, but DM needs to explain it VERY CLEARLY and BETTER if he is going to keep harping on it.

Nevermind that if DM is right, then he's done a bad job as a GM, and if he's wrong, then he's an idiot for continuing to say it. It's a lose-lose position for him.

heypartner likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I see u never answered my question of if u would take Harden as a scorer over MJ

and yeah, it’s pretty obvious why I called it ridiculous and foolish...if Harden is a better scorer than MJ then he’s basically the greatest scorer of all time and it should show more in the playoffs, but it doesn’t

MJ also did his thing while playing elite level perimeter defense...Harden ain’t bad, but he’s definitely no MJ on D

so yeah, I think it’s a ridiculous statement and he should just stop it

lilbird20 and HP3 like this.
  14. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

The problem is that he never said "he is better" as a blanket statement, listen to the interview.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I don’t get it...a player gotta be saying some racist/out of line/extremely disrespectful/etc type of sh*t for me to just straight up not want him over an opinion

rocketseagles07 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't care if Daryl Morey wants to claim that James Harden is the best scorer in NBA history. He does have an argument, and the concept of offense and scoring has evolved.

FWIW It is pretty clear Morey DGAF.

He is confident and knows he has done everything reasonably possible to help the Rockets win.

He cannot control the owner, he cannot control the foibles of other players or injuries, or anything of the sort.

He has his opinions and a basis for them and if people do not like them....... well.

lilbird20 likes this.
  17. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

"MJ also did his thing while playing elite level perimeter defense" Morey is not talking about defense. Just talking as a scorer.

18. The Cat

Harden averaged 31 points per game last year in the playoffs while facing two elite defenses geared to stop him, including 35+ against the freaking Warriors with Klay, Iguodala, and Durant all hounding him at times. It shows plenty.

I would take 2018-19 Harden as a scorer over anyone, MJ included. Would I take Harden overall? That's a tricky question because he hasn't even turned 30 yet, and longevity is a key component to any "overall" argument. It remains to be seen how Harden ages into his low-to-mid 30s. What Jordan did from 1995 through 1998 is a key part of his legacy.

But in my opinion, Harden this past season was the best scorer that I've ever seen in my 30 years watching the NBA. Yes, including the playoffs. (IMO, the numbers Harden put up against GSW in that series actually enhance the argument.)

What does that have to do with scoring? I think Jordan is a better player.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Why? He doesn't care.

He explained and gave his basis..... people are free to agree or disagree.

jch1911 and JuNx like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

The Minnesota Timberwolves scrapped their entire defensive scheme and system to prevent James Harden from scoring. They had multiple players on the court positioned at different spots, giving up easy and in many cases, open shots all to try to prevent Harden from scoring.

jch1911 and The Cat like this.