1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nadeshot podcast featuring guest Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lionaire, Aug 15, 2019.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

Last place I would've imagined to see DM is on a podcast with former Call of Duty pro and now owner of one of the biggest gaming organizations, Nadeshot.

After retiring from Call of Duty he became one of the biggest content creators in the gaming industry and then went on to create a team of his own known as 100 Thieves. It started off as a clothing brand and now has become a prominent name in esports with a valuation of $125m and investors including Dan Gilbert and Drake among others. Pretty interesting array of topics discussed. Timestamps below.

01:36 - Reading iTunes Reviews
    02:38 - Rocket Mortgage Shout Out
    05:10 - Daryl's Origins
    12:36 - Daryl's Stint with the Boston Celtics
    18:10 - How Daryl Became GM of the Rockets
    25:22 - How Good Would Tracy McGrady Be If He Wasn't Injured
    30:00 - Michael Jordan vs James Harden
    42:15 - Daryl Gives Life Advice
    44:42 - Daryl's Interests and Hobbies
    45:54 - Comic Book Movies
    53:15 - The State of Clutch Gaming
    1:03:15 - The Most Difficult Part of Being A GM

#1 lionaire, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Nice podcast. Was gonna just listen to a bit of it but it was pretty interesting.
    Thanks for posting it

Lawlruschang and lionaire like this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Didnt see you beat me to posting this.

Was a great podcast. My favorite part was how all agents are assholes lol

BamBam, Lawlruschang, Handles and 3 others like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey and the other more prominent League of Legends teams where on an episode of the Netflix Documentaries, 7 Days Out. I remember this guy or a manager of the team (I don't remember) had some glowing things to say about Morey in the show even though Morey wasn't in that episode that much since the team didn't do well in that particular tournament.

Lawlruschang and lionaire like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

Look man, if we are talking regular season, James may have an argument(may). But cmon now, James has to put together a highly efficient monster post season run for this to even be a discussion(even then MJ has multiple MONSTER efficient POS runs). I know Daryl loves Harden, but I really disagree with him.

kjayp and Highlyrated like this.
  7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's amazing how open and candid Daryl is, even after all these years. Most of his GMs aren't a fraction this accessible.

I transcribed a few of the quotes in my story... this particular one I hadn't seen before:

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...very-good-about-rockets-winning-the-nba-title

Nothing earth-shattering, but the Butler pursuit was definitely very real for him to say it on the record... and they did at least poke around on Kawhi, but he didn't have any interest.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My theory is that the org let Harden handle things in a non tampering way, and when he came back with a thumbs up, the team went to Costco to buy a bulk package of sparklers and Chinese firecrackers.

Easier to say yes in a non sober situation, but maybe not a yes yes.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey sounds like he DGAF... he says what he wants and doesn’t care if anyone has a problem with it.

10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I take it u didnt listen lmao...he said nothing of the fact harden being a better player...rings doesnt have anything to do with what he said...he was talking pure scoring I repeat scoring...u can be a better scorer n not the better player.

MorningZippo likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Perfect example of why so many out there dislike Morey and the Rockets.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Dude, he's not a better scorer though? Like this dude is one of the best play off performers ever. Harden is still an amazing player and when its all said and done he may be second best two guard of all time, but he is NOT a better scorer than Michael Jordon. Especially if you wanna go with numbers in the playoffs which is honestly what matters here. And also I listened to that part Daryl said with all the context. I disagree. In fact Daryl even said you have to take into account the rule changes and he would accept that as a counter argument.

Harden's playmaking is much much closer to Jordon's than his scoring imo.

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

in DM's opinion Tracy McGrady is the best player during his tenure ...

Nelly likes this.
  14. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

closer? jordan had 1 season avging >5.8 assists per 36 min. Harden has 5 and counting, including seasons of 11.1 and 8.9...

BigMaloe, mikol13, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Yup

16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Exactly he told u it's a arguement to be made...but he pointed out a fact, u can say he would be better..but he talking about facts...actually numbers. That's what he going off of numbers.....points per possession. Era is all hypothetical. That's the era he played in...whose to say harden in Jordan's area growing up would have developed dif things for that area. U can play the what if all day...that's what he is getting at...simply by the numbers harden was a better scorer....facts

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea, I genuinely Harden my be better there, but i was listening to Ben Taylor's podcast, and then I saw some videos of Jordon making assists and you know Jordon was actually pretty great there. So yea there is an argument there too, I dont know if you listen to Ben Taylor or have before, but his podcasts are really good.
    No he's not actually, thats why im telling you if you look at the Playoffs Per 100 strictly comparing scoring for his Houston years, Jordon has a sizable gap on Harden.

kjayp and mike2k132 like this.
  18. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Morey just sounds like a arrogant a hole ,the interviewer shoulda just ask him ,Ok Daryl ,So who do u take with the first overall pick if u could pick Mj or Harden in their prime?

mike2k132 and cheke64 like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And Butler didn't have any interest in the Rockets in hindsight. Otherwise he would *at least* have taken a meeting with the Rockets to compare and contrast the Miami situation. He was Miami 100% and the Rockets COMPLETELY MISREAD that situation. That's what really bothers me about that pursuit.

BigMaloe, lilbird20, Fyreball and 2 others like this.
  20. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

He doesn't help Harden's rep around the league when he says stuff like this.