1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Lue is the front-runner if MDA is let go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 15, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

That there’s interest is nothing new and just because a few guys in our organisation like him, doesn’t mean he’s the front runner. Cyberx has some inside info sure, but making this claim seems to be a bit of trying to create a big story like the media would do.

Personally I really dread getting Lue, if it’s him guaranteed if MDA is let go, then even if we are on track for 40 wins I’d want MDA to stay on. The next 4 years of Harden’s prime in the hands of Lue would be the worst mistake Morey and Tilman could make.

Signing a young guy who’s paid his dues as an assistant would pay bigger dividends. Lue is risky, I’d argue way more than a Cassell or Elie.

D-rock and Remlap like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

U serious? I would take Lou a million times out of 10 over Earl Watson.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm indifferent on the news really. I didn't want D'antoni and then he got us 65 wins. My point is, if Cyber says he's the front runner, I feel he's earned the benefit of the doubt. There has been tons of uncertainty this summer with contract negotiations and assistants being let go. It's mid August, I'm happy to get any Rocket info at all. If D'antoni is let go soon then it is a big story.

I really don't want to see Cyber stop posting.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If an "insider" posts "inside information" debating/discussing the information, including it's accuracy should be fair game.

Attacking the insider, unless a proven fake, should be OFF the table imo.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should only attack fake fans and trolls

don grahamleone and Htown Legend like this.
  6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's so ridiculous. I'll vouch for him. Clutch will vouch for him. Hell, Daryl Morey himself has referenced him several times.

Does he bat 1.000? Of course not, nobody does. The business is hard. Information changes all the time, too. But whether we like the specific piece of information or not, it's more than we'd otherwise have. No reason to get upset with him about it.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is rich. LOL.

BMoney, J Sizzle and treyk3 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No I believe that’s Plowman

9. JW86

JW86 Member

Fair game, but you cannot call anyone a front runner when you still have a coach under contract. Maybe I’m too picky about his word choice, but seems a bit too headline grabbing for me.

The headline also doesn’t match his OP, so he should change that. Also, isn’t cyber an LA located guy? Maybe with the Clippers news he has other motives.

Definitely hope we let that ship sail or else we’re ****ed. From MDA to Lue?! I’d ask to be traded if I were Harden in that scenario.

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This would be the Monkey's Paw version of wishing Dan Tony be let go.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

But what if he keeps bringing not so good news? I want to hear things like we are in talks to trade Russ for LeBron plus hire Lue to get LeBron’s blessing. Not some suggestion that we might lose the only coach who has the chance of creating a system where James and Russ can play off each other.

Plowman and justtxyank like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is some Holic-level irony. Lmfao.

Deuce and justtxyank like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not exactly on cyber to decide whether its good news or bad news to anyone. i don't see anything wrong with letting people know what he hears whether anyone likes it or not is on them.

xiki, justtxyank and Remlap like this.
  14. Remlap

Remlap Member

Dumping MDA for Lue?

[​IMG]

RocketWalta, J Sizzle and D-rock like this.
  15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Gotcha. Chasm separates RP from Klutch, eh?

topfive likes this.
  16. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

I was disappointed that they couldn't come to terms on an extension because I like D'Antoni, and we share WV roots.
    He was on the varsity team at Marshall when my dad played on the freshman team that was coached by Danny D'Antoni.
    Danny is the head coach at Marshall now (they originally wanted Mike, but he wanted to stay in the pros).
    My dad will still chat with Danny a couple times a year when he makes his way to Huntington for games.
    (Mike shaving his mustache was a major topic of conversation between them when it happened, but dad didn't think to mention his son is a 25+ year Rocket fan.... but I digress)
    Mike is as genuine and straight-forward as they come and just loves the game.
    I know he wants a championship, but is overall satisfied with what the game has given him.
    I still have hope that a deal on an extension will be reached.

However, I get why the Rockets only want to guarantee part of the deal.
    The last time they extended a coach, they paid 20 mil for 11 games.

It is pretty obvious that it is championship or bust for this team, but due to the contracts on hand, the easiest shake up (and fall guy) will be the coach.
    I think it is out of respect to D'Antoni that they kept him despite canning his staff. (though I'm sure many here will attribute it to a cheap owner)

I just don't know that there will be another opportunity for him to be a head coach after Houston.
    So I don't know why you would pass up guaranteed money that you get to keep if they decide to part ways at the end of the season.

Mike is a great coach, but his detractors will continually say that he can't get it done when it matters.
    The Rockets have a regular season coach, a regular season system, and a regular season superstar until they win it all.
    It's stupid, and I think it's BS, but that's the perception.
    (Look at Dirk & Carlisle in Dallas. Your legacy goes from soft or not good enough in Indy/Detroit, to a legend and great coach after 1 ring)
    If the Rockets part ways with D'Antoni, the narrative will be that he couldn't get it done in the numerous seasons he's had the league MVP.

The oldest coach to ever win an NBA championship is Larry Brown at 63.
    So I just don't think Mike will get another chance.
    Age and reputation will prevent anyone from paying big money to bring him in (which is why I don't get Lagarie playing hardball).

His stance is that Mike has earned a big salary and is a top level coach, but basketball is becoming like many other businesses where executives want to find new and upcoming talent they can lock into a long deal, at a discounted rate.

With luck, the Rockets win it all this year, D'Antoni gets a fat extension, and this entire thread disappears into the Clutchfans archives, but I can see it all going south if the first of those things doesn't occur.

17. BreakYoSelfFool

I agree these coaches are unproven, but that doesn't mean they wont be great coaches or win a championship. The last 5 championship coaches were head coaches of their first team.Many great coaches do best in there first head coaching opportunity:

Phil Jackson
    Pat Riley
    Rudy Tomjonavich
    Greg Popovich
    John Kundla
    Bill Fitch
    Eric Spoelstra
    Ty Lue
    Steve Kerr
    Nick Nurse

18. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Agreed i would take jvg over lue ,

19. Hardy Toll Road

Wait. So is @Plowman an insider or no? Have heard conflicting reports.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

No, maybe he once was, but he's definitely not one now or just acts like a fool.

J Sizzle and Hardy Toll Road like this.