1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Lue is the front-runner if MDA is let go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 15, 2019.

1. MystikArkitect

Why is Lue accepting payment in the form of Kemah Boardwalk bucks?

Joshfast likes this.
  2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I completely agree with you that he would deserve to be snatched up, on merit. MDA is very good.

However, in terms of how it would actually play out... given his age, a team like Sacramento/Charlotte would know going into the process that just based on current rosters, the soonest they could possibly reach even a quasi-contender phase would be 3-ish years. Considering MDA would be well into his 70s by that point, even if he does succeed, you'd probably be looking at making another head coaching hire, just as your team finally makes the leap (in the best-case scenario).

I agree that on pure merit, it'd still be worth it. Especially for a bad franchise, and the potential to change perceptions. But most owners tend to swing for home runs with their hires, and my hunch is that the owners of Sacramento/Charlotte would opt for younger hires that could theoretically grow with the team.

Moreover, even if a Sacramento/Charlotte-type franchise were willing to do it... is that something that MDA would want to do at this stage of his career? Maybe it is, but I get the sense that he really wants a ring.

don grahamleone and topfive like this.
  3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Let’s shoot the messenger.

eliefor3 and Plowman like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I just don't understand the fascination with the guy. LeBron likes him so we love him?

Plowman likes this.
  5. liveguy

liveguy Member

Better choice would be Earl Watson over Ty Lue.

Westbrook and Harden would listen to Earl.

RichieBanks likes this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. And, oh, my.

BTW - - is he a Klutch client yet?

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

This is just pot stirring. If they really want Lue then show MDA the door (with his money) and show Lue the money to lure him in. Simple as that. If you’re not willing to do that then don’t be a b**** and pine away about other coaches while your guy does his best to hold the team together. I will accept paying the bill for a new coach or silence.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

thanks for the update @cyberx. i'm wondering now if we made a push to get him on board as an assistant recently since he accepted that role with the Clippers.

also can we pls get a crumb of intel regarding the roster if you have any

9. plee

plee Member

I would rather they give John Lucas a chance than Lue.

ak99999 likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lue was a mediocre talent as a player, but really understood the game to get the most out of his abilities....If Harden and Westbrook like him that is what is important now.

DD

xiki likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was so vehemently opposed to the D'Antoni hire and I was so dead ass wrong that I've decided the fact that I don't like the idea of Lue means it's probably a good idea.

BHannes2BHonest and Rashmon like this.
  12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

A perfectly logical post. But MDA is a basketball lifer who knows the business, and has all sorts of life experience coaching for some of the worst owners in sports. At this stage of his life you can be certain he's ready for whatever comes next.

When his time's up coaching in Houston, you can bet he'll go out with a smile on his face.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That makes sense. I must've been hearing voices in my head.

cheeeeeeeeeeeaaaappp

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Lue is just not good for us and seems like the opposite of what Morey would want. Lue got run over by the players in Cleveland!

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Please no. Lue owes everything to LeBron, not the reverse. This is a case of image over substance. I would much rather have MDA, and that aint saying much.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Got run over only by LeBron. Then again, with MDA Harden is doing what he wants as well.

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people ever doubt CyberX? He has been right on almost everything he brings us. Sure, some things fall apart, but at least he gives us something to talk about in August. 9 out 10 Morey trades fall apart at the last second too. Clutch even gave him credit recently for the Butler pursuit info he gave us months ago. When I come to these threads, I should only see opinions on the info and never see questions of the legitimacy of the info. The only people as accurate as Cyber are Shams and Woj, and they only break news, they don't predict things months in advance.

don grahamleone and Little Bit like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Cyberx? Nah, I'm pretty sure he went with Rich Paul.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It goes without saying considering MDA's lame duck status...that if the team starts off poorly he is REALLY in trouble.

But spinning it forward, you have to wonder what the threshold is for success for the Rockets (in Tilman's view) that would warrant MDA getting a new multi-year contract? Are we talking at least WCF or bust? We probably are. So, if the Rockets get knocked out the 2nd round vs the Clippers or Lakers or whatever....that could be it for MDA.

20. cyberx

cyberx Member

Let me clarify: Many are high on him in the Rockets org. They arent LOOKING to fire MDA. But if things start out bad, expect Lue to be one of the first to interview.