1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

August 13 - Morton's will be serving filet mignon sliders for $1 each

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 12, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I've had it happen at both cheap restaurants and even expensive ones. It's insane when they try to pass a filet mignon off with like a basic cut. I typically don't complain crazy amount when eating out, but if I'm paying for a filet don't try to bs me with a sirloin etc (yes, this seriously happened). Haha, not only cooked way off but entirely wrong cut.

Note I'm not talking Morton's, I've never been there.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I think you got filet mignon, and it was probably good, but you got it from the leftover tail/tips from the tenderloin that were sitting in a tub of blood protein for a few days. They are too small to make a steak. If you ask the chef, he will tell you what you got. But that's likely it. They are not very likely going to give you cuts from 6oz filet mignon for $1. They can't afford to do that. It's too good to be true, right? They are going to re-brand their leftovers to effectively sell alcohol and make a buck from something they would normally throw out. It's probably very good tho. I would eat it, but I think that is what you are getting.

#22 PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    CourtOfDreams and DaDakota like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Seafood is the worst. You see restaurants getting busted all the time for serving trash fish and calling it "red snapper" for instance.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Kind of like dollar hot dog night at MMP. That's how they get rid of all the hot dogs that didn't sell over the weekend.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

That's basically what a lot of "specials" are at restaurants..."hey chef, we didn't sell all the [whatever] this week, make something up with it."

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

They do this once a year, and I'm certain they lose money that day, but if it brings a new customer base, it is worth it.

Not the first time restaurants have used this tactic.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Also don’t you have to buy them at the bar? Great margins on booze

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My mom tried to tell me some liver she cooked was deer steak.

9. Buck Turgidson

Were you iron deficient as a child? I hope you could tell the difference.

10. bobrek

Believe me...it was so obvious, I am not quite sure what she was trying to accomplish. Plus, I think I was at least 15.

And, to answer your question, I was not iron deficient.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm going to Morton's downtown tonight with an out of town client. My boss knows the GM well so we always get treated very well. He also has a wine locker there and a few weeks back this was our beginning of a long Friday night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loathe Fertitta but love me some Mortons. Prefer it any and every day over V&A.

Roscoe Arbuckle and donkeypunch like this.
  12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You were drinking Louis Tres? Nice!

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

pretty sure you know I've never been deficient as a kid...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Oh you're deficient...

Of what I have no idea.

15. Acura

Acura Member

How much are they usually? What is with all the negativity??? @don grahamleone check this out

16. bobrek

He wasn't talking to you

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

IQ, no.

EQ. Maybe. I'm certainly an *******. But I've learned to hone my craft. so far...

I'm still betting on people when you start a business. We've been up over 3 years and it is still scary and there have been fights. Luckily, only verbal.

18. bobrek

I believe he has me on ignore, so he probably didn't see who you responded to.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Curious if anyone made it out there.

20. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

It’s is more than likely tenderloin scrap. Not that it’s isn’t fit to eat or undesirable. I would be surprised if it is centercut tenderloin. Jakes (a restaurant purveyor) sells tender tails you order to make “elevated” beef stew, burgers (you would self grind) fajitas etc.

You would order these (tender tails) if you don’t butcher cases of pismos in house frequently to have enough scrap to create something with it. I’m sure Morton’s butchers their own cuts. But for a promo like this they would either save scrap over a month and freeze to reuse or order tender tails to fill the gap.

With all that said, seeing a picture of the slider it would be way easier to see where it was cut from.
    Also one dollar filet mignon sliders center cut or tails is still a good deal.