1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else still high on Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 25, 2019.

1. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

Well, obviously this thread is old now. Clint Capela is still a work in progress. The jury I can honestly say, is still out on this guy. He just haven't proved anything to me yet. He still needs to bulk up a lot more and be more of a presence in the middle. He just needs to put in more work and become that player that the rockets feel he can be. He has age and time on his side right now.

2. Sanity2disChaos

Why do I feel Tyson Chandler will be better, when it matters.... that’s how high I am on Capela.

Excuse Tyson age and he would start for this team. But he’s old now! But nobody has mentioned his stamina and how he isn’t playing big minutes like he should. That’s another problem with this one trick pony.

smp likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Capela is fine. Lots of folks have unrealistic expectations or just don’t actually watch enough games.

Glad Capela is letting it fly in FIBA, but the Rockets just need him hitting +70% on FT.

4. Acura

Acura Member

Clint is underrated now. He could come up big for us vs lakers or clippers

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jeez, he looks so slow and lumbering in those clips. Hope it's just the resolution lol.

ak99999 and GotGame15 like this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

Can he pull down a rebound when it counts? That's what I care about. From what I saw even before the playoffs started, that answer is no. He snipes rebounds by shoving his hands into the fray and hoping he gets it. He doesn't box out, and he doesn't have awareness of where the rebound is going in order to position himself for a rebound. Tucker does both of those things despite being completely undersized for the task. P.J. rebounds above his height, Clint rebounds well below his height.

I'd say rebounding is his number one problem that has to be fixed. He also only shot 50% from the FT line in the 2019 playoffs, and that's the number I'm going with, not his higher regular season percentage. That's Hackapela territory. Gotta do much better. And he needs some semblance of offensive autonomy when he's in a situation where he can't be spoonfed a lob. The league is all over that move now.

Those three things in that order of priority have to improve for him to be above the neutrally-useful threshold, which he's below right now.

Little Bit and ak99999 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both: We'll see each other in the Playoffs.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Seems like they are good friends.

Also, did Rudy Gobert give video credit to our @heypartner ? Cool.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Clint rebounds below his height? You’re talking about Clint Capela, 5th in RPG in 2018?

Corrosion and YOLO like this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

I specifically said when it counts. I know Clint had a lot of rebounds. That doesn't mean I trusted him to pull them down in high stakes situations like in the playoffs. In fact, I saw a ton of the opposite.

Tomstro likes this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Players pad stats now more than ever. He cannot rebound or score when we need it most. I don’t trust his defense in big games either. He got paid an incredible amount of money for catching and throwing down lobs. Another genius move by Morey.

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

capaela's thumb injury limited production in the regular season as a whole.

capaela's handle is definitely not as sharp as amare stoudamire. amare stoudamire did way more in the MDA system but stoudamire paid the price with injuries.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Yea that still doesn't add up.... not sure how you can ever quantify "doesn't get rebounds when it counts". Are all those other rebounds Capela gets less valuable?

People on here think that Kevon Looney absolutely bested Capela...

Capela:
    CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS minutes 28.8 3.8-7.2 56.4 0.0-0.0 0.0 1.2-2.7 29.2 rebound 10.0 1.5 0.5 0.2 2.8 1.7 points 8.8

Looney:
    CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS minutes 18.2 2.3-3.0 83.3 0.0-0.0 0.0 1.3-1.7 41.7 rebounds 4.2 0.8 0.7 0.5 2.5 1.0 points 6.0

15. Sanity2disChaos

Paying this guy 20 mil tho....... damn gina.id rather give thicc that money. At least I know I can replace Capela.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesnt make 20 mil per

17. Sanity2disChaos

18-20 you got the point.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

He doesn’t even make 18. Only 80 mil of his 5 year contract is guaranteed and the rest is made up of bonuses which he didn’t hit this past year. LTS wins again

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They will just foul him so he can miss both FTs.

20. Sanity2disChaos

The point was he is what the third highest paid player on the team. His production doesn’t equate to his contract. Being spoon fed by one of the best pG/SG combo ever only makes it easier. I’m not high on him but I like him enough. Period. So he needs to play better consistent basketball.

I’ve said this before. I really think Tyson will be big for us , minus any injuries. That says a lot about Capela worth.