1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. prospecthugger

That's odd.

Wonder if it is just a temporary thing?

2. prospecthugger

40-man considerations are absolutely a reason not to do so as well. Leaving another prospect unprotected and losing whoever you DFA to make room probably isn't a big deal, but you're also committing his age 22 season as an option year, which you hope isn't a big deal. I'm not sure limiting the flexibility for the team/player is a good idea, when the probable outcome is him not being a better reliever this postseason than whoever ends up being the last pitcher in.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There’s only 3 weeks left in the season, so I think it’s safe to assume he will be there thru the end. Whether he gets assigned there next season is a good question, as there seems to be quite a few legit OF prospects who would slot ahead of him for QC’s 2020 OF (McKenna, Brewer, Guerrero, Barefoot, Abreu, Pavlica, Reese, Machado). Would be a great sign if he were put there tho.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yohander Martinez hit his first career homer down in the DSL today.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If options become an issue with him then he's not the guy that we think he is.
    I will lose absolutely zero sleep over Brady Rodgers getting DFA'd, or Guadan, or whatever other non entity we have taking down a 40 man roster space.
    The only real harmful deal with calling him up would be if it stops us from stealing a super 2 year from him. If he does great and becomes a bullpen weapon then that's worth it I'd argue. If he ***** the bed then he gets the Kyle Tucker treatment in 2020 and we leave him down until July 10th or so.
    I mean, sure, it's not literally zero cost, but the cost is small enough that I don't really care all that much.

6. Buck Turgidson

Who are those people? And why do I care?

Nook likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You shouldn’t. That was my point to prospect hugger

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. prospecthugger

And if you call him up and he tears his UCL in spring next year, you lose a year of control, plus he'll be using options until he recovers from it. Prospect development isn't linear, and I don't think it's wise to just assume if he doesn't make it by 25, he never will, especially for a 6'7" fireballer. You saw the Astros hand an above-average CF to a division rival because they had a 40-man crunch a few years ago, why add more to the roster before they have to? So they can hope that the guy who hasn't shown the ability to get minor leaguers out will all of a sudden be a weapon? I think Whitley will be a good major leaguer still, but at this point, why would they trust him over whoever of McHugh/Smith/Biagini gets the last bullpen spot? If Whitley comes out at dominates for the rest of the minor league season, maybe I can see it, but he's had like 2 good starts this season, so let's pump the breaks.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I like stuff. Whitley has stuff. I’m not advocating calling him up for the hell of it in September, but if he has a decent August I’d like to see it.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Isn't this the only scenario he gets called up? As you said, prospect development isn't linear. Doesn't matter that his linear trend with 1,2 good starts so far this season has not been towards the majors. If he's 2017 AA again rest of the season, he has a chance of getting called up.

It needs to be 2017 AA all over again for him to have a chance at getting called up. Decent doesn't do it.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I love stuff.

Kid may just need to pitch in AA and then in AA/AAA next year.

Think about this: If he had gone to college (I believe it was Texas or Florida State), he would have gotten drafted this Spring and he'd be in low A-ball pitching 20 innings on a pitch count this year.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a fan of sending good pitching prospects to AAA. Until the PCL moves more teams to closer to sea level, moves fences back 50-100 feet, or switches to a less hitter friendly ball, good pitching prospects should go AA to majors. Let AAA be for emergency starters and depth..i.e. pitchers you don't care about.

Buck Turgidson and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I would consider 2017 August to be “decent” bc I grade on the curve two years later and repeating a level. Nothing he could do down there would be all that impressive to me, but it might earn a “prove it” promotion.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

And this isn’t a bad perspective at all.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is also something worth thinking about. I have read some talent evaluators they have said with the new ball they think this will be the thing that happens.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nate Perry (8), A.J. Lee (5), and Jordan Brewer (1) have all gone deep for Tri-City.

Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  17. Marteen

Marteen Member

Kyle Tucker has hit a 2-run homer in the top of the 1st inning for the Express.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Perry has leveled up this season and has put himself in position to explode onto the scene if he is assigned to QC next year (assuming he stays at catcher and keeps hitting for this amount of power).

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kyle Tucker just hit his second two-run homer of the night. He now has 32 home runs on the season.

No Worries and Htown Legend like this.
  20. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I see Round Rock has Myles’s Straw playing 2B. Super Utility man in then making? He’ll probably make the team next year as the fourth OF assuming we lose Marisnick.

No Worries likes this.